Are you a Conservative or a Liberal?

Are you a Conservative or a Liberal?

• Total voters
I'd co-sign this.

It kind of depends on the subject, I guess. Marriage equality, I favored progress. Second amendment, I favor conservatism (though I'm not against meaningful regulation, I'd err on the side of the Constitution). Immigration I'm a pinch of both - amnesty for people here but cracking down on employers who hire illegal immigrants.
Those three views, being reasonable, take you out of the running for 'most conservative'.

I would imagine that I'm a Fiscally Conservative, Constitutionalist Libertarian. I believe most would see me as a few degrees Right of Center.

You don't know me as a person. There is every possibility we could get along quite well off-line.

I like this statement and think it's true concerning most people that we disagree with online. I often imagine that I'd probably enjoy having a beer and some discussion with those people whose views I oppose. As long as the discourse is lively but civil.

I like this statement and think it's true concerning most people that we disagree with online. I often imagine that I'd probably enjoy having a beer and some discussion with those people whose views I oppose. As long as the discourse is lively but civil.

I do not know how it is possible to judge a person based on what they post in a small sub-forum. There are posters who are completely different depending on the sub-forum they are posting in. There are posters with whom I take issue with in the War Room, but I completely agree with in the UFC, Mayberry, Music or Videogames sub-forums. There are posters I side with in the War Room whom I could not stand if I met them offline and posters I disagree with whom I would get along with offline.

It is not fair to make judgements about someone until you have spent time with them face to face in the same room and make a reasonable effort to get to know them.

I consider myself center right but I'm sure some to here I'm far right and to others maybe center left.

Red Tory- fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

Most of my life I've thought of myself as Blue Dog Democrat.

These days, however, I think climate change is such a massive international problem (two or three "storms of the century" per year have become the new norm; massive "dead zones" in the oceans, etc.) that it can only be tackled with a co-ordinated, legislative approach (as well as private entrepreneurship). I also think UH is a top priority.

So, I officially now think of myself as a Green Dog Democrat... but, in reality, I'm a straight liberal voter-- my relative social conservationism doesn't impact my voting much if at all.

Last edited:
Most of my life I've been a Blue Dog Democrat-- socially pretty conservative, but economically liberal and more concerned with the economic side when it comes to government.

These days, however, I think climate change is such a massive international problem (two or three "storms of the century" per year have become the new norm; massive "dead zones" in the oceans, etc.) that it can only be tackled with a co-ordinated, legislative approach (as well as private entrepreneurship).

So, I officially now think of myself as a Green Dog Democrat.

You and I are the opposite! Where does the name Blue Dog come from?

For the purpose of the poll I voted liberal since my best guess is that most of the rest of this subforum sees me that way.

But I am coming around to certain conservative positions on certain social issues and I think a healthy skepticism of government is warranted at times. Actually just today a friend of mine said something to the effect of "I know you're against government regulation but..."

I'm also quite skeptical of regulations, though there are a few high-profile ones that are justified that right-wingers oppose so I end up more on the left there. I am also skeptical of education spending. It's complicated because there is a big effect on earnings that is likely heavily (but not totally) related to signaling. That seems to be a situation where intervention would be justified to *prevent* education. But since it isn't entirely signaling, the signaling effect is real, and there are positive externalities to education, we can also justify intervention to make it more available. Also, colleges can be a big boon to their communities, and can attract and train talented immigrants.

You and I are the opposite! Where does the name Blue Dog come from?
It's a coalition within the Democratic Party in the House of Representatives... They tend to be the most socially and fiscally conservative Democrats.

In reality, I am significantly to the left of any Blue Dogs economically these days.

George Soros looks at me says "Whoa, easy with the globalism and Marxism, comrade."

Those three views, being reasonable, take you out of the running for 'most conservative'.

I'm afraid you might not have understood what co-sign meant. I voted "liberal" in the poll.

That "other" list is really fucking suspect.

So the lie that liberals control the WR through numbers is over.

You don't know me as a person. There is every possibility we could get along quite well off-line.

352811.jpg

"Oh yes....we could get along VEERRRRY WELL....hehehehehehehe"

I have a lot of criticism for the Democrats in how they handled that confirmation too but that doesn't excuse what happened there. But yea, I'm aware there might be people who have made that argument just to make one against Kav but mine was more about the principle I was mentioning with luckyshot. I was glad he stepped back on a lot of it in the op-ed but ultimately, you can't take that stuff back very well during a confirmation. I mean, you really have one job in those hearings to answer the same way about how they would be on the court and he made a really bad move of showing partisanship. I understand why he may have been mad and did it but it still doesn't excuse it for me. In an issue that can easily be swept up by emotions, we did not need to see that from him as well.

I do see your point.

That said, he managed to get the benefit of the doubt from key swing-votes (even though a couple of those votes may have been politically-motivated like Manchin and Flake) and here we are.

Had the Democratic party not pulled this shit, and Kavanaugh showed the partisanship he did still, we would be looking at Amy Barrett in the SCOTUS right now.

The Dems "smear plan" backfired in a big way in their face.

My political affiliation is authoritative religious. I cannot stand the degeneracy, entitlement and victimhood on the Left, but I also cannot stand the obsession with obscene wealth, free-market worship and right-leaning libertarian degeneracy on the Right.

Simone Weil for President

images
Yeah I'm not too far from this myself, I just emphasis left wing economic policies because I think its a more realistic and winnable battle that is more straightforward.

When it comes to the issue of societal degeneracy, to some extent I think the cat is out of the bag and if it can be reversed it certainly won't be straightforward and through simple government policy. Trying to regulate morality is tricky business, often it can backfire and lead to the opposite of the intended results. Which is why I'd hesitate to say authoritative religious myself. Not sure you're necessarily saying you want to regulate morality yourself, just explaining my thoughts on it.

Interesting choice for president, I went with Dorothy Day myself in the thread on which historical figure we'd want for POTUS. Maybe we're not that sexist after all.
I like to say that my brain is liberal and my heart is conservative, that I want liberals in public office and conservatives in my neighborhood. Who we want running things and who we want to interact with in daily life can be radically different.
I'm also quite skeptical of regulations, though there are a few high-profile ones that are justified that right-wingers oppose so I end up more on the left there. I am also skeptical of education spending. It's complicated because there is a big effect on earnings that is likely heavily (but not totally) related to signaling. That seems to be a situation where intervention would be justified to *prevent* education. But since it isn't entirely signaling, the signaling effect is real, and there are positive externalities to education, we can also justify intervention to make it more available. Also, colleges can be a big boon to their communities, and can attract and train talented immigrants.
That's a key distinction, what we believe and what we end up arguing here. We end up emphasizing certain views of ours because they're relevant to the issues most commonly discussed but that can give a distorted view of our overall worldview.

One form of regulation I'm skeptical of are zoning laws and here I find myself attracted to the view of Jane Jacob(though I've yet to read her book :oops:). Her point that the people who live in the city are better positioned to organized it than distant city planners is one I think has merit, principally abolishing the distinction between commercial and residential property. If you own the land I think you should be able to build either a business or residence on it. That said certain restriction make sense, like height restrictions, and I would want to specify that certain businesses like bars, liquor stores, and strip clubs should be restricted in terms of where they can be placed(here's that authoritative religiousness at play).

I lean left on some issues and right on others.

I support immigration ( but not illegally)
I support LGQBT rights and gay marriage
I support the death penalty
I support abortion in certain cases like when a girl gets raped, but not when it’s just an unplanned pregnancy.

Agree with all this except the stance on abortion. I feel women should be able to have abortions whenever they choose

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back