Are there any illegal grips in BJJ standing?

No.

edit: Oh, yeah the no inside sleeve/pant grips. Supposedly it can break your fingers but . . . never heard of that actually happening.

Last edited:
Yes,

1. you can't grab inside the sleeve
2. you can't grab inside the cuff of the pants
3. you can't reach inside the gi to grip the outside of the gi
4. you can't deliberately disrobe your opponent or yourself
5. you can't pull guard without grips

EDIT: So in other words, rules are the same doesn't matter if you are standing or on the ground.

Grabbing the belt with the intention of preventing takedowns without initiating your own counts as stalling. This is given as an example of stalling of the IBJJF rules (6.6.4):

"When an athlete on foot grabs and maintains his/her hand on the opponent’s belt, preventing the opponent from completing a takedown movement and without attempting an attack of any kind."

Oh, and you can't use your opponents hair, eye sockets, mouth, nose, ears, trachea, fingers, toes, groin, or butthole as a grip, if we wanna be complete about this.

No.

edit: Oh, yeah the no inside sleeve/pant grips. Supposedly it can break your fingers but . . . never heard of that actually happening.

yeah, you can break them but it also makes it impossible to break the grips.

a thread with nothing related to the opposite gender. I am impressed.

Oh, and you can't use your opponents hair, eye sockets, mouth, nose, ears, trachea, fingers, toes, groin, or butthole as a grip, if we wanna be complete about this.

You can grip the fingers, but you have to grip multiple fingers together, you can't grip just one of them.

Butt drag is completely legal, as long as it's through the pants.

a thread with nothing related to the opposite gender. I am impressed.

Someone narced on me for the last thread and I got an infraction. I was actually serious about the post, spliced in with a bit of humor.

Apparently Sherdog is full of prudes though, haha.

No.

actually Rose Gracie told me that grip was made illegal because it made stalling way easier

Throat grip aka standing rape choke is illegal I'm sure.

Someone narced on me for the last thread and I got an infraction. I was actually serious about the post, spliced in with a bit of humor.

Apparently Sherdog is full of prudes though, haha.

Yes. Full of self-abusing, intercourse-having, prudes.

Back