Are there any divisions without a clear GOAT????

FLW: DJ
WW: GSP
MW: Silva
LHW: Jones

I think those are the only solid uncontested choices. So BW, FW, HW are still open I think. People forget what it was like to see Cruz as champ, it was bizarre with lots of downtime, and I think it's easier to look back and feel more confident. LW is a sharktank, have a bunch of candidates for different reason, even with champs. HW no champ can even defend 4x, so you have lots of candidates to choose from.

Lightweight.

Nobody in the history of the division has more than 4 victories as #1... which is fuck all in comparison to the likes of Fedor, Jones, Anderson, GSP, Aldo, Cruz, and Mighty Mouse.

This where i think Khabib should had done 1 more and be the clear LW goat, even if he is to the eyes of many, numbers are not subject to appreciation, he had his own reasons to do it tho, i dont think he ran away or anything, just retired early.
Yeah I would’ve liked to see him do that too. Khabib is my choice for LW GOAT because of his undefeated record and dominance. But if you compare his overall LW resume to Benson, who has wins over Cerrone x 2, Varner, Jim Miller, Guida, Frankie x 2 (I did think Frankie won the rematch though), Nate Diaz, Gil Melendez, Josh Thomson, Rustam Khabilov and Patricio Pitbull, Benson’s resume kind of slays Khabib’s. With both of Islam’s defenses being against a FW, one of them on short notice, it’s going to take some work for me to consider Islam for LW GOAT. I’m not even sure I have him in my top 10 LWs of all time yet tbh.

and BJ and Benson have more top 10 wins.
I find it funny how prime Benson on paper presents a bunch of issues we've never seen Khabib face but he's universally disregarded because he was so BORING.

Funny how often these days gsp gets left out of goat talk. Even Dana says khamzat just beat the ww goat.
GSP seems like a clear ww goat and overall he's one of the top tier p4p
That's mostly because Dana didn't like GSP outside of his marketability. That and Dana doesn't believe most of what leaves his mouth. He's a professional shit spewer.

This where i think Khabib should had done 1 more and be the clear LW goat, even if he is to the eyes of many, numbers are not subject to appreciation, he had his own reasons to do it tho, i dont think he ran away or anything, just retired early.
I understand people wanting to penalize Khabib for retiring early. (Though I think, given the circumstances, he was completely justified.)
Early retirement aside, going 13-0, defending the belt 3 times and losing one single round is pretty hard to argue against.
If people prefer to have Jon, GSP, Anderson, MM or Fedor above Khabib as their GOAT, that is their choice. But at lightweight? I don't see who would even have any kind of argument over Khabib.
BJ? Benson? Frankie?
<{cruzshake}>

BW is wide open
Cruz beating alpha male (minus Garbrandt) and TJ crushing garbrandt and barao repeatedly.

Lol at people putting cheats in their list

I understand people wanting to penalize Khabib for retiring early. (Though I think, given the circumstances, he was completely justified.)
Early retirement aside, going 13-0, defending the belt 3 times and losing one single round is pretty hard to argue against.
If people prefer to have Jon, GSP, Anderson, MM or Fedor above Khabib as their GOAT, that is their choice. But at lightweight? I don't see who would even have any kind of argument over Khabib.
BJ? Benson? Frankie?
<{cruzshake}>
Benson's record at LW is pretty decent once you see the names in there, 3 title defenses as well, i mean, he isnt really discussed as most think Khabib is the LW GOAT, sure, Khabib's run is impressive at 13-0, which btw, Islam is at that 13 consecutive wins at LW, 14-1 overall in the UFC, 1 more and he ties the record of defenses and surpasses the win streak of Khabib for UFC wins, Islam might turn into the LW goat on numbers if he continues his run at the top.

Islam will be the LW GOAT. All he needs are 2 more conservative defences.

Maybe he could get some defenses against people in his weight class? And even if he got three of those, he'd still only be tied with Penn, Edgar, Henderson, and Khabib.

Of all the UFC divisions, I feel like most of them have a clear GOAT. Stipe, Jones, Silva, GSP, Khabib, DJ are my (and most) top guys in the higher weight divisions.

Which division do you think is murky?

I'd say BW, for me, is. There are good arguments for Cruz, Dillashaw or Aljo. I don't know if Cruz (the consensus fave, actually is the GOAT there)
FW too. At this point I'd say Volk has proven himself but there is an argument for Jose or Max
Based on top ten ranked wins in their respective divisions:

Demetrious Johnson: 12
Dominick Cruz: 10
Jose Aldo: 12
Takanori Gomi: 8
Georges St-Pierre: 16
Anderson Silva: 9
Jon Jones: 11
Fedor Emelianenko: 12

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...-top-10-ranked-wins-in-each-division.4149321/

FLW: Fig is 6 wins behind DJ.
BW: Sterling is 4 wins behind Cruz.
FW: Volk is 3 wins behind Holloway who is tied with Aldo, but I rank Aldo's resume above both of them.

I think Lightweight is the most disputable because Gomi has the most wins but lost to Penn, then both of their careers ended with a lot of losses, and while Nurmagomedov was undefeated he isn't even in the top five for most ranked wins at Lightweight (Gomi, Henderson, Alvarez, Penn, and Oliveira all have more than him).

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...st-top-10-ranked-wins-at-lightweight.4147383/

WW: Usman is 4 wins behind Hughes who was 4 wins behind GSP.
MW: Adesanya is tied with Silva, but Silva's reign was unbroken before it ended.
LHW: Shogun was 3 wins behind Jones.
HW: Miocic is 1 win behind Nogueira who was 3 wins behind Fedor.

Last edited:
LW, BW, FW, HW

Most of them have someone who could make a claim.
Stipe's claim could fall short to someone like Nogueira.
Jones either has a solid claim or he doesn't depending on how critical you are of his asterisks.
Anderson could be behind Izzy.
GSP could be behind Usman.
Lightweight doesn't have one. No one can hold onto the belt long enough or manage to fight top contenders.
Aldo may be dethroned by Volk at this point.
Cruz may be behind Torres.
Mighty Mouse has that shit held down though.

People bringing the argument of top wins like the absolute argument are just bland bots.

Just one example with Kamaru (timestamped) : "GSP playded on medium and Kamaru played on Hard"

But a bland bot will never understand the word "context", so it's a waste of time.

You can't have a rational discussion with an automaton <seedat>

People bringing the argument of top wins like the absolute argument are just bland bots.

Just one example with Kamaru (timestamped) : "GSP playded on medium and Kamaru played on Hard"

But a bland bot will never understand the word "context", so it's a waste of time.

You can't have a rational discussion with an automaton <seedat>

You can’t have a rational discussion with a troll either.
<Wink2>

Usman’s reign consisted of 5 title defenses. 2 of them were against Masvidal, who wasn’t in a position to deserve either of them (he got one by stepping in short notice, then an instant rematch because “UFC reasons”). 2 more were against Colby, who absolutely didn’t deserve the 2nd TS he got. Trying to compare that to GSP’s 9 defense streak of Fitch, BJ Penn, Alves, Hardy, Koscheck, Shields, Condit, Nick Diaz, and Johnny Hendricks is laughable AF. Brendan Schaub doesn’t know wtf he’s talking about. As usual.

Trying to compare that to GSP’s 9 defense streak of Fitch, BJ Penn, Alves, Hardy, Koscheck, Shields, Condit, Nick Diaz, and Johnny Hendricks is laughable AF.

Fine but it's medium. Hard > medium <seedat>

Brendan Schaub doesn’t know wtf he’s talking about. As usual.

Not only he knows better than you but more importantly : he's unbiased.

Cruz is clearly the bantamweight goat, the only argument I see is “he was injured!” So? Are you judging his career based on the fights he won or the fights he was never involved in? Plus he never lost in his prime, he lost at 21, then went through the worst injury record of any mma fighter and lost a competitive decision to his arch nemesis’ golden boy, designed to beat him, while he had tendinitis in both feet

Back