Are the Russians replacing the Dutch?

Kassitus

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I remember back in the day the Dutch seemed unstoppable. Now? They have the heavyweights but not much else.

LHW: The best Dutch guy is Michael Duut.
MW: Wilnis is pretty good but not much else.
WW: Still pretty good here.
LW: No good Dutch I can think of.
FW: Van Roosmalen but nobody else.

Then think of the new stars: Kryklia, Vakhitov, Nabiyev, Sittichai, Alazov, Petpanomrung, Adamchuk.
Thais have always been the good at small weights, but it seems the Dutch are being replaced by the Soviet bloc in the high weights. Even Rico was beaten by an Eastern guy.

Is the trend real and will it continue?

I remember back in the day the Dutch seemed unstoppable. Now? They have the heavyweights but not much else.

LHW: The best Dutch guy is Michael Duut.
MW: Wilnis is pretty good but not much else.
WW: Still pretty good here.
LW: No good Dutch I can think of.
FW: Van Roosmalen but nobody else.

Then think of the new stars: Kryklia, Vakhitov, Nabiyev, Sittichai, Alazov, Petpanomrung, Adamchuk.
Thais have always been the good at small weights, but it seems the Dutch are being replaced by the Soviet bloc in the high weights. Even Rico was beaten by an Eastern guy.

Is the trend real and will it continue?
I remember that quite differently. The Dutch have always had most of their success in the HW division. They've never been really unstoppable in the lower divisions and I think most of the impression that they were is based on the fact that the Dutch and Belgians would mostly fight amongst each other with a occasional foreigner from a different country thrown in.

For example, back in 2008 Martens fought Levin in a tournament in Russia. Noboby had heard of the dude before, but one of the trainers that went there with Martens warned on the Dutch forums that, should he be invited to fight in the Netherlands, Levin would most probably beat the majority, if not all, of the Dutch fighters in his weight class. The first time he came over,he fought Aussie, who was considered one of the best Dutch guys in that weight, and he got absolutely outclassed by Levin. The same goes for Ryan Simson. People in the Netherlands saw him as a world beater, but when he went to Japan to fight in K-1, he got beaten by a young Kyshenko. (btw, Kyshenko also has a 3-1 advantage over Souwer, by many considered the greatest -70kg fighter the Netherlands ever had)

The Dutch mostly just fought amongst themselves and in Japan, while the eastern European countries are much more Muay Thai oriented, which is a entirely different animal. Now that we see more Eastern Europeans fighting worldwide, we also get to see that they're actually really good and they have been for at least 10 years. They just operated in different spheres.

I remember that quite differently. The Dutch have always had most of their success in the HW division. They've never been really unstoppable in the lower divisions and I think most of the impression that they were is based on the fact that the Dutch and Belgians would mostly fight amongst each other with a occasional foreigner from a different country thrown in.

For example, back in 2008 Martens fought Levin in a tournament in Russia. Noboby had heard of the dude before, but one of the trainers that went there with Martens warned on the Dutch forums that, should he be invited to fight in the Netherlands, Levin would most probably beat the majority, if not all, of the Dutch fighters in his weight class. The first time he came over,he fought Aussie, who was considered one of the best Dutch guys in that weight, and he got absolutely outclassed by Levin. The same goes for Ryan Simson. People in the Netherlands saw him as a world beater, but when he went to Japan to fight in K-1, he got beaten by a young Kyshenko. (btw, Kyshenko also has a 3-1 advantage over Souwer, by many considered the greatest -70kg fighter the Netherlands ever had)

The Dutch mostly just fought amongst themselves and in Japan, while the eastern European countries are much more Muay Thai oriented, which is a entirely different animal. Now that we see more Eastern Europeans fighting worldwide, we also get to see that they're actually really good and they have been for at least 10 years. They just operated in different spheres.
by the time Rayen got to K-1 he was old as fuck it would be like the Andy Souwer now going and fighting in K-1.

by the time Rayen got to K-1 he was old as fuck it would be like the Andy Souwer now going and fighting in K-1.
if you don't like that comparison, you also have Shakuta, who went 8-1 against Dutch opponents, or Hutnik, who went 7-1 against the Dutch before deciding to become fat and moving up to 86kg. Or Kulebin, who beat Amrani in his first defence of his WMC title after beating Anuwat. There are enough examples.

Did the Dutch fuck with a presidential election before the Russians?

I would like to know the history of Kickboxing and also the overall combat sports in the old USSR.

The amateur muay thai is much better publicized in Russia and in case the professional mauythai practically does not exist in the netherlands

Back