Are the Current Champs The Most Well-Rounded UFC's Champs Have Been?

Hurtinbombs**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All at once? I have a hard time thinking of another period where the champs were all as well rounded.

HW - Cain Velasquez - Great wrestler, excellent stand up as well

LHW - Bones Jones - Excellent Wrestler, freakishly strong, great mprovisation in subs and standup

MW - Chris Weidman - Excellent standup, solid ground game

WW - GSP - Best MMA Wrestler, great technical standup

LW - Pettis - Slick Ground game, great standup inside and at range

FW - Jose Aldo - May be a weak link fo his stamina but he is unbeatable for the first 3 rounds it seems

I'd say guys like Cain, Bones, Weidman, GSP, Pettis, and Barao are pretty solid. I would say I haven't really seen Weidman put on a standup clinic against a top level striker. Catching a guy with his hands down doesn't display your technical skill. Not a knock but I'd like to see him do a Cain vs JDS 2 stand up performance to really say he's on that level and not just a ground guy. I would say that from what I've seen the women's champion Rhonda is a one trick pony. You get someone in there more well rounded and she might be in trouble.

All at once? I have a hard time thinking of another period where the champs were all as well rounded.

HW - Cain Velasquez - Great wrestler, excellent stand up as well

LHW - Bones Jones - Excellent Wrestler, freakishly strong, great mprovisation in subs and standup

MW - Chris Weidman - Excellent standup, solid ground game

WW - GSP - Best MMA Wrestler, great technical standup

LW - Pettis - Slick Ground game, great standup inside and at range

FW - Jose Aldo - May be a weak link fo his stamina but he is unbeatable for the first 3 rounds it seems

Probably so, but keep in mind that as far as combat sports go, MMA is still in it's infancy compared to Boxing, Kick Boxing, ect. It should come as no shock that today's fighters are more well rounded than 15 years ago, and in another 15 years we'll see an even bigger leap.

That's the great part of being a fan of MMA right now, we're getting to see it develop and evolve.

Probably so, but keep in mind that as far as combat sports go, MMA is still in it's infancy compared to Boxing, Kick Boxing, ect. It should come as no shock that today's fighters are more well rounded than 15 years ago, and in another 15 years we'll see an even bigger leap.

That's the great part of being a fan of MMA right now, we're getting to see it develop and evolve.

Agree. And that's no discredit to guys like Hughes, Sylvia, Militech etc.

With Weidman you mean excellent ground game and solid stand up right? Otherwise I agree.

Agree. And that's no discredit to guys like Hughes, Sylvia, Militech etc.

Exactly, because those guys each brought something to the sport that we had previously not really seen. They helped lay the foundation for what we have today and what we will see moving forward.

Exactly, because those guys each brought something to the sport that we had previously not really seen. They helped lay the foundation for what we have today and what we will see moving forward.

I think my fave champ from then was Frank Shamrock...he was ahead of his time. What a warrior

I thought weidmans thing was wrestling? but that he was also naturally talented at bjj for the time hes trained in it so hes got alot more potential to get better

Pretty slick standup to me.

weidman-elbows-munoz1.gif

Seeing as MMA has evolved from the my martial art vs your martial art standpoint yes this field of champions is the most diverse in terms of skill sets. None of the current champs are one dimensional in any way shape or form except Rousey.

Seeing as MMA has evolved from the my martial art vs your martial art standpoint yes this field of champions is the most diverse in terms of skill sets. None of the current champs are one dimensional in any way shape or form except Rousey.

Agree on rousey but there was anyone to compare her to

From an ability standpoint, it's pretty much the perfect group of champions, outside Mighty Mouse. Benavidez beating him next month would make everything right at the top of the MMA world.

Back