Are Stipe's opponents "that" impressive in retrospect.

He's beaten every elite heavyweight other than Cain Velasquez.

He’s been more impressive at heavyweight then pretty much everyone else aside from when Cain was in his prime

Hahaha this BS has already started.

Why don't we look the other way around. Cormier has evolved to be a much more complete fighter since the last time he was a HW. People give Blaydes (the no.1 contender at HW) no chance against DC in the other thread. Without the weight cut problems he will be in even better shape to perform.

His record in the last 5 years at HW is still 0-0.

He's also still 39 years old.

Those are facts.

It depends on how you look at it ts. I am not convinced that the hw division has been a lot better than it is now, it has certainly been worse imo.

So lets get right to it. What hw champion in the ufc's history would you use to prove that Stipe is overrated?

What era in the ufc hw division had a superior roster?

Using the idea that the division will get better at some point and we will have a string of hw's that move like mighty mouse imo is a fairy tale but for shits and giggles lets go there anyway. That said, what are the glaring holes in his game that trouble you and will be exploited by these new phenoms? Cardio? Stand up? Grappling? Fight IQ?

He's beaten every elite heavyweight other than Cain Velasquez.

Well there's 3 guys in the top 5 that he hasn't beaten so that's clearly not true. Then there's also Minakov and Ivanov outside of the UFC (Blagoi's now signed).

In fact he hasn't beaten many of the younger elite HW's at all.

He's 8-0 against older fighters.

He's 4-2 against fighters his age or younger.

It depends on how you look at it ts. I am not convinced that the hw division has been a lot better than it is now, it has certainly been worse imo.

So lets get right to it. What hw champion in the ufc's history would you use to prove that Stipe is overrated?

What era in the ufc hw division had a superior roster?

Using the idea that the division will get better at some point and we will have a string of hw's that move like mighty mouse imo is a fairy tale but for shits and giggles lets go there anyway. That said, what are the glaring holes in his game that trouble you and will be exploited by these new phenoms? Cardio? Stand up? Grappling? Fight IQ?

We will see when he starts fighting more of these younger fighters just hitting their primes.

We've seen him mow through the old guard. But can he do it to the new guard?

We'll have to wait till he finishes fighting yet again another 40 year old before we find out.

As for the HW division , it has been fucking horrible for a few years now..... but right now it's just starting to warm up a bit.

We will see when he starts fighting more of these younger fighters just hitting their primes.

We've seen him mow through the old guard. But can he do it to the new guard?

We'll have to wait till he finishes fighting yet again another 40 year old before we find out.

As for the HW division , it has been fucking horrible for a few years now..... but right now it's just starting to warm up a bit.

Ok, when was the division at it's best though?

And yes, he has mowed through the old guard who were the top guys when it took place, the young guys are getting there and will get their shot.

I still posed some questions, would you like to answer them as pointed as I asked them?

Well there's 3 guys in the top 5 that he hasn't beaten so that's clearly not true. Then there's also Minakov and Ivanov outside of the UFC (Blagoi's now signed).

In fact he hasn't beaten many of the younger elite HW's at all.

He's 8-0 against older fighters.

He's 4-2 against fighters his age or younger.

What were the fighters ranked when he defended against them?

I didn't read the thread but I already know the premise. There's been a thread (or one million) like this done on every champion that has ever been in MMA. Everyone is overrated. We get it.

And if it's not one extreme, it's the other; XYZ are unbeatable gods and when they lost it was only because _____.

I've been on this website too long, I've become an curmudgeon.

<{Joewithit}>

What is so strange about this thread is that you have the biggest fedor nut huggers talking about Stipes opponents and their records AFTER he beat them…but There was a thread created recently giving Kevin fucking Randleman all this respect lol. Well he was 2-8 after fedor beat him so he isn’t shit at all according to the logic ITT….

Came in here to flame after reading the title, but TS explains his case very well.

How about listing the record of opponents before fighting Stipe? Gives a much more accurate picture.

No wonder fighters shit on this forum with threads like this. Imagine if you started training and merked everyone in your local gym, did the same in a better gym, then merked everyone on the regional circuit, then.... Well you know where I'm going with this... These world champions are just that...

And overall people on sherdog seem to downplay real accomplishment and tend to focus on negative hatred.

Forums and hiding behind anonymity bring out the shittiness in people.

Or maybe you're all teenagers then I give you a pass.

I'm 22.

Actually there are some decent respectful posters here, but in the minority

I agree with TS. He hasn't beaten a GREAT HW in his prime.

Interesting that you use the term 'in retrospect." Because BEFORE the fights those opponents were considered dangerous opponents that many posters were confidently predicting would destroy Miocic. And it wasn't just Sherdoggers doggedly supporting their favorite fighters of old. Conor Ruebusch, he of the Heavy Hands podcast, didn't pick Stipe to win against most of the guys you list. (The podcast episode after UFC 220 was subtitled "Begging Stipe's Forgiveness," lol.)

I know the saying is that hindsight is 20/20, but I can't shake the feeling your "proof" that they weren't impressive in retrospect really boils down to the fact that Stipe beat them, QED.

I previously created a thread called "Is Stipe Miocic Overrated", and I mapped out my thoughts on who he had beaten and how they may be a little past it, I think it's now worth revisiting this idea.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/is-stipe-miocic-overrated.3615989/#post-133703029

First off, you can only beat who's put in front of you, so with that said we all know that Miocic has a great resume. He's a good fighter, tough son of a bitch and has been very consistent as of late.

On the flip side, we all know how bad the Heavyweight division is and I think we fall in love with the names and memories of these fighters. Overeem used to be great, dos Santos used to be great, Werdum used to be great - but all these guys are completely over the hill at this stage.

I'll be very interested to see Stipe fight DC, and perhaps Volkov and Blaydes somewhere down the line. I feel like he has been very fortunate in terms of when he has fought these guys and also who he's fought in some sense also. Roy Nelson is a poor excuse for an athlete, a guy who could probably make Light Heavyweight with any semblance of a diet, Mark Hunt is a fan favourite but if we keep it real has no grappling skill, Arlovski is a slow, plodding, over the hill striker, Fabricio is over the hill, Overeem has no chin left, dos Santos looks like a shell of himself since USADA showed up and Ngannou has literally zero grappling skill also. Is it too much to ask for a well rounded fighter to show up for once?

Wouldn't it have been great to see him against Velasquez? I genuinely feel like that would have been the perfect match-up to see him in, and it looks like we'll never get that now.

I'll leave you with the records of the fighters he beat since he beat them:

Roy Nelson - 4-7
Mark Hunt - 3-3
Andrei Arlovski - 2-5
Fabricio Werdum - 3-2 (All 3 wins were over very mediocre talent)
Alistair Overeem - 2-2
Junior dos Santos - 0-0 (Fighting an unranked opponent in his next fight)
Francis Ngannou - 0-0 (Fighting Derrick Lewis next)

I think Stipe is a product of a very, very, very bad division.

We share the same views

Stipe in 2005 wouldn't be relevant
But against this graveyard of chins he looks like a world beater

However that said, it's not Stipes fault and he's head and shoulder better than anyone around right now
Including DC
Who he will finish

Bet the house

His run is still very impressive, but its not as impressive as it would have been if more of those same guys were in their primes at the time. Beating Reem, JDS and Werdum in 2016/17 isnt the same as beating them in 2011.

We share the same views

Stipe in 2005 wouldn't be relevant
But against this graveyard of chins he looks like a world beater

However that said, it's not Stipes fault and he's head and shoulder better than anyone around right now
Including DC
Who he will finish

Bet the house

Of course he wouldn't... He was not even fighting as an amateur in 2005.

Back