• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Are school shootings simply the result of capitalism?

Pretty difficult to drive into a school and kill people. It's a false equivalence.

The fix isn't in stopping people from killing with guns...it's from stopping people from killing.

Why do students NOW who always had access to guns want to kill and destroy other students...NOW.

This wasn't a problem with our culture or society 20-30 years ago. What's changed? Solve the motivation and you solve the problem.

Ignore the motivation and focus purely on the method and you get nowhere.

They're the result of a political party who refuses any and all gun regulations, and the NRA. That is who it's on.

Spoken like a true dweeb. Listening to all of the anti conservatives and gun haters is like listening to a herd of sheep as none of you present independent thoughts and just gargle the same stupidity.

the simplest reasoning against this is we've have capitalism for a lot longer than we've had school shootings.

And the NRA gets kickbacks from gun manufacturers, then the NRA gives the money to politicians that will make law to sell more guns. How the hell could this kid buy a AR-15 at 18years old, yet he couldn't buy a handgun till 21, not to mention he was in and out of mental therapy. The GOP cowards cant even ban bump stocks, or get universal extended background checks, terrorists on no fly list can still buy guns. One of Trumps first executive actions was to reverse Obama's on mental people not being able to own guns. The NRA has blood on their hands. Gun stocks will go up today as usual.

3% of the people in USA own 1/2 the total number of guns, only 25% own guns, 15% are hunters. Its a very small loud minority, the NRA, gun makers, that are running the show. But tribal and partisan people follow along just like they planned.

None of this post explains why this is an issue now.

We had crazy kids 30 years ago...WHAT HAS CHANGED? Theirs something incredibly wrong with the turn of society within america that is causing motivation to want to do mass killings.

Explain that and solve that. I mean you have a kid with a fucking problem mentally and you think the solve is to take away the automatic killing machine, when really the motivation still exists and he could simply hop into a truck and plow through students mass leaving in the parking lot or exits at the end of a school day.

You are not solving anything by focusing on the method. Solve the motivation. If I am motivated to kill you, I don't need a gun to do it in this day and age. Their are soooo many shitty ways I could kill you without a single NRA finger point.

Solve why I want to kill you.

My guess as to what's changed? Big pharma giving doctors kick backs for getting kids hooked on shitty mood altering addictive drugs at a young age, that causes severe mood swings or an imbalance where simple right and wrong values are lost.

"BUT HE KILLED THOSE PEOPLE WITH AN AUTOMATIC RIFLE!!!"

Ok...WHY? WHY did he do it? Why did he WANT to kill all those people, and where was his right and wrong filter?

Absolutely, yes. You'll take heat for the suggestion by people who can only make direct causal analyses, but tangentially it absolutely is related to capitalism: the capitalist forces that lobby the government against the interests of its people and prevents more fluid attempts at policy making re gun violence prevention, the capitalist forces that pursue and accomplish the state-sanctioned sale of millions of firearms to known terrorist states, the capitalist forces that fetishize weapons to sell movies, toys, and video games, the capitalist voices that insulate the spread of death from ethical concerns of those wielding the machinery, etc., etc.

Simply the result, perhaps not. But partially the result, undoubtedly.

Are the rare mass shootings from capitalism better then the hundreds of millions dead from Communist genocides?

The fix isn't in stopping people from killing with guns...it's from stopping people from killing.

Why do students NOW who always had access to guns want to kill and destroy other students...NOW.

This wasn't a problem with our culture or society 20-30 years ago. What's changed? Solve the motivation and you solve the problem.

Yes, it was:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shootings_in_the_United_States#1960s

While that's a fair point, the method still isn't the issue.

I want to kill a bunch of students. I don't have an assualt rifle.

I do have a truck I stole.

I will wait for them to leave school en mass while they are all nicely bunched up at a street corner waiting for that first light to change and I will plow into them en mass, likely killing as many as this guy did.

Stop me.

While that's a fair point, the method still isn't the issue.

I want to kill a bunch of students. I don't have an assualt rifle.

I do have a truck I stole.

I will wait for them to leave school en mass while they are all nicely bunched up at a street corner waiting for that first light to change and I will plow into them en mass, likely killing as many as this guy did.

Stop me.

In most cases, guns are a more effective killing tool than cars. It's also easier to escape a car than it is a bullet in close quarters.

But anyway, we've established that these outbursts of violence most definitely happened since at least the decades immediately following WW2, but another fair point would be to say that they happen more frequently now. So why is that? Is it easier access to more efficient guns, or is a degradation of mental states throughout the last 3 or 4 generations?

The answer is probably both. Whatever the cause is, it appears demonstrable that kids/teenagers today have more mental issues per capita than in the past. Obviously that's something to focus on, but that's a long road, and even worse, nobody has the cure, i.e. whatever we try might not even work (we can say that with some confidence, since we've obviously not been very effective in improving the mental health of young people).

But we have some examples where we restricted certain products and it worked out well in terms of reducing harm associated to those products, and it's not the complicated:

1. You put tax increases on those goods (in this case weapons).
2. You restrict marketing activities of those products, e.g. advertising, distribution, product messages, etc.

This is what most countries have done with cigarettes, and it's worked in every single market to drive down incidence of smokers among the general population. I'm not saying it would definitely work for guns - since it hasn't ever been tried - but it's at least an alternative to banning guns.

Spoken like a true dweeb. Listening to all of the anti conservatives and gun haters is like listening to a herd of sheep as none of you present independent thoughts and just gargle the same stupidity.

I am quite disappointed that you didn't call me a cuck in service of your point........

Lose what? You act like people in the armed forces would annihilate their own people like ants. These aren't t1000s my guy...

If the military cannot be relied upon to provide force to the tyrannical government, why do you need your guns to fight the tyranny?

No, the problem with Islam is the tenets of Islam. Why do you oddities feel the need to bring up Islam every time some freaks mows down a dozen Americans?

Because it is thoughts that count. I have never touched a gun in my life. I am not with that crowd. But I assume I could get one and kill people if I wanted to. As could you. Why don't we? Cuz we have no desire to.

Because it is thoughts that count. I have never touched a gun in my life. I am not with that crowd. But I assume I could get one and kill people if I wanted to. As could you. Why don't we? Cuz we have no desire to.

And what does Islam have to do with lax US regulations on firearms?

I actually agree with this, and I think if you were to prevent kids from getting guns in the USA, they'd become bomb making experts.

And what does Islam have to do with lax US regulations on firearms?

It is a comparison that the mechanism is not the problem. Surely the mechanism helps but it is not the root of why people would do such a thing. Thoreau said there is 1000 people striking at the branches of evil for every 1 that is striking at the root. Guns are not the root. They are branches. Branches are easy.

Do you realize people are angry? They are pissed. They want revenge. Waiting to let that rage free.

Will I quit, will I quit?
They claim that I'm violent, but still I keep
Representin', never give up, on a good thing
Wouldn't stop it if we could it's a hood thing
And now I'm like a major threat
'Cause I remind you of the things you were made to forget
Bring the noise, to all my boyz

Learn to survive in the nine-tre'
I make rhyme pay, others make crime pay
Whatever it takes to live and stand
'Cause nobody else'll give a damn
So we live like caged beasts
Waitin' for the day to let the rage free
Still me, till they kill me
I love it when they fear me

THEY REMIND YOU OF THE THINGS YOU WERE MADE TO FORGET

You try to ban the A.K.,
I got ten of 'em stashed
with a case of hand grenades.

Last edited:
Studies have proven that people will follow almost any orders if given by an authority figure. The military is specifically indoctrinated not to question orders for a reason. Look at Nazi Germany - most those guys were committing inhumane crimes, not because they were robots, but because they were simply following orders.

And it's not like orders to kill Americans would be that blatant. They would be labeled as traitors or similar and rounded up.

Think of our rules of engagement, then think of how that would look against its own citizenry. The us government would have it's hands tied. Especially so if they wanted to keep the blessing of the people

Think of our rules of engagement, then think of how that would look against its own citizenry. The us government would have it's hands tied. Especially so if they wanted to keep the blessing of the people

The why do you need weapons to protect against tyranny if you are saying members of law enforcement/military wouldn't turn on us?

its cultural

look at how many people are shot and killed in brazil on a year basis. it is like 30,000 people. they barely have any school shootings like USA has. thailand also has higher shooting fatalities per capita and barely any school shootings. both thailand and brazil have strict gun laws.

the three biggest factors are 1) mass media, 2) mental health, 3) the internet.
Every school shooting at this point just breeds more. Future shooters can see its still happening and it emboldens them. It is more of a cultural problem than a gun one imo. Not trying to be all preachy as an Australian, I just feel like this gets harder to stop as more and more school shootings happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back