Are MMA fighters the biggest weight cutters in the history of sports ... or maybe wrestlers? Whos #1

iwillbebackin3weeks

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We are in an era where fighters are trying to cut as much weight as possible.

What do you think?

kevin-lee-ufc-216-official-weigh-ins.jpg

SPORTS_160129967_EP_-1_YFHYAMFCFIQK.jpg

MMA fighters

Heres a MW with a massive HW
Screenshot_20181122-233131-640x360.png
Screenshot_20181122-233139-640x360.png

Wrestlers and teams have guidelines for cutting they are forced to follow.

MMA is a weight cutting free for all.

I can say this... wrestlers very rarely miss weight and they weigh in on a ridiculous schedule, whereas missing weight is a relatively common occurrence in MMA, where fighters are only weighing in 1 - 3 times a year (on average).

Wrestlers are clearly the most professional when it comes to cutting weight.

I suspect MMA fighters are trying to cut significantly more weight (pounds), however.

Not what you're looking for but F1 drivers used to have to starve themselves to keep weight as low as possible for the performance advantage to go with it. New rules came in this year to try and correct that.

Wrestlers and teams have guidelines for cutting they are forced to follow.

MMA is a weight cutting free for all.
Absolute lol if you think those guidelines are followed. Can't speak for NCAA, but I wrestled in high school and some NCWA club wrestling in college, and it's a free for all. Total free for all.

Absolute lol if you think those guidelines are followed. Can't speak for NCAA, but I wrestled in high school and some NCWA club wrestling in college, and it's a free for all. Total free for all.

lol,, this is absolutely wrong..

lol,, this is absolutely wrong..
Huh. Maybe my experience was abnormal. But I was hydration tested once a season in high school, and our coaches just told us to cheat. I didn't get hydration tested at all in college.

I wonder if it's a side effect of the number of weight classes. Boxing has a lot more weight classes and consequently less weight cutting. Mind you size is less of an advantage in boxing compared to MMA.

Not what you're looking for but F1 drivers used to have to starve themselves to keep weight as low as possible for the performance advantage to go with it. New rules came in this year to try and correct that.

Wasn’t there an issue with Jockeys too.??

I never really thought about it when I was a kid... And not that I ever was in to horse racing... But it makes since you’d want the smallest, lightest rider possible... Those dudes are tiny..

Wasn’t there an issue with Jockeys too.??

I never really thought about it when I was a kid... And not that I ever was in to horse racing... But it makes since you’d want the smallest, lightest rider possible... Those dudes are tiny..

Don't follow horse racing but I'm sure it's even worse there as they don't have other technical areas to manipulate. Just mentioned it as it's a sport I'm well versed in that also happens to involve dangerous weight policies for it's competitors.

In F1, it's said that 10kg (22lbs) of weight costs .3 seconds of lap time. Might not seem like much, but that equates to 15 seconds over a 50 lap race, which is a huge winning margin. In 2015 (around the time this sort of issue started to get some focus), the spread between lightest and heavies driver was 59kg (130lbs) to 74kg (167lbs), this time saw some extremely gaunt looking drivers. 2019 introduced new rules to say that the driver and seat must weigh a combined minimum of 80kg (176lbs). The driver + seat rule is to counter centre of gravity manipulation by having an underweight driver and using the positioning of the required excess weight to influence the balance of the car.

For comparison, the American Indycar series has 185lbs (83.9kg) as their targeted driver number, but works it in a slightly different way, as a driver at more than 185lbs has weight removed, all to meet the same point in the middle.

I wrestled in high school before the new regs were put in play but I can tell you at my former HS they are followed.

I wrestled in high school before the new regs were put in play but I can tell you at my former HS they are followed.
Maybe my coaches were just criminals. They blatantly encouraged us to cheat hydration tests etc.

Back