Are judges scared of scoring fights as a Draw?

SuperSaiyan21

White Belt
Reaction score
I mean let's face it, that fight was a draw. It was a hell of a fight. I had Gus winning rounds 1 and 3, Jones winning 4 and 5, and round 2 was a draw. Takedowns were even, overall strikes were virtually even. I usually don't like to say a fighter got robbed, but the judge who scored it 49-46 Jones had to be smoking the same shit as Joe Rogan.

It just seems to me that judges are afraid to look indecisive and that's why more fights aren't declared draws.

Maybe judging the fight as a whole instead of individual rounds or annoucing winners after some time has passed might help?

Thoughts?

Lets face it, your opinion is very different from most and scoring the fight as a draw leaves you in the smallest of minorities. So please, don't talk as if your opinion was one sent down from the heavens.

No, i dont think judges are 'scared' to score fights a draw. However, they are probably very reluctant to score rounds as a draw. You'll see draw rounds most often when there are point deductions involved. Rarely are there draw rounds because they were just that close. Of the times I have seen judges score draw rounds, they were usually due to both fighters being relatively inactive.

They're scared of scoring 10-8 rounds and especially 10-10 rounds which are needed for draws to happen. This is the problem more than the draws themselves.

I think it might deprive a fighter of the winner's purse. So yes.

Lets face it, your opinion is very different from most and scoring the fight as a draw leaves you in the smallest of minorities. So please, don't talk as if your opinion was one sent down from the heavens.

No, i dont think judges are 'scared' to score fights a draw. However, they are probably very reluctant to score rounds as a draw. You'll see draw rounds most often when there are point deductions involved. Rarely are there draw rounds because they were just that close. Of the times I have seen judges score draw rounds, they were usually due to both fighters being relatively inactive.

Where in the world did you get the idea that my opinion was 'sent down from the heavens'? It was just my assessment of the fight.

Maybe scared wasn't the best word choice, and for that I apologize.

No need to get all high and mighty.

I mean let's face it, that fight was a draw. It was a hell of a fight. I had Gus winning rounds 1 and 3, Jones winning 4 and 5, and round 2 was a draw. Takedowns were even, overall strikes were virtually even. I usually don't like to say a fighter got robbed, but the judge who scored it 49-46 Jones had to be smoking the same shit as Joe Rogan.

http://mmadecisions.com/ten_ten_report.jsp

"Note: MMADecisions.com supports the use of the 10-10 round, or any judging system that better differentiates between very close rounds and rounds that were distinctly won by one fighter. Currently, 10-10 rounds are permitted under the Unified Rules, but judges are often dissuaded from using them by the overseeing commission."

They are asked not to do it so they don't

There were no 10-8 rounds last night, rendering a draw impossible.

Although there is an argument for the lack of 10-10 implementation. Though I could have only considered one or two of the rounds 10-10.

With an odd number of rounds and the seeming stigma against scoring 10-10 rounds, a draw is very unlikely with the current judging system.

That being said, I pretty much saw it as a draw from a purely qualitative perspective.

Either a more clear/objective system needs to be put in place or more draws need to occur.

Ricci's and Reis' fight last night was a great example. I get why sometimes a real war is going to give a winner/loser. But sitting around being ridiculously non-combative on the ground, especially in the guard, should not be rewarded.

The answer to the OP's question is "yes". But I don't think this fight was really a draw.

I thought gus won rounds 1, 2 and 3 and I thought jones won 4 and the 5th should have been 10 - 8 so my score card said 47 - 47.-

Athletic commissions discourages judges from scoring even rounds.

They're not scared. They're following orders.

Edgar/Maynard II

Penn/Fitch

Ok. 2 out of.... wait. How many fights has the UFC had?

I agree that there should be more draws, but one problem I see is that it could be an easy cop out. A fight could be close ENOUGH that a judge may say screw it and not put things into perspective enough to decide a winner.

Other than that, there are times where I like the idea of judging the fight as a whole. I don't usually agree with most thoughts that are branded with a "street fight" comparison, but if you think about it, you don't score who won a street fight by rounds. Partially because there are no rounds and partially because if you do the most damage even if you were outstruck by jabs or weak strikes, the person who damaged the other would probably be the winner in the eyes of most people.

I also kind of like the Pride 10/5/5 rounds because of the lack of 10-point-must, which does force the judges to decide a winner that may not have performed quite as well or didn't have any shining moments and was just consistent enough to be granted a winning round.

As a whole, I don't think the 10-point-must system is a problem, I just think that judging the fight as a whole is more "real".

Last edited:
Back