Are BJJ brown belts allowed to promote?

ZeMino

Blue Belt
Reaction score
this is just out of curiousity, but are BJJ brown belts allowed to promote people to blue? purple? or even just stripes to a blue belt?

depends on the gym or the Association. Alot of gyms are if you are a brown belt w/ one degree you can award up to a blue belt w/ no degrees. Any Blue Belt with degrees or higher has to be awarded by a BB.

NO.

But some do it anyway.

I was always told that you could promote to three levels below you. This came up when a 2nd degree black belt promoted another to black.

The key term you used was allowed .... since there is no BJJ organization and there is no governing body I guess the only way for someone to prove they are a blackbelt is thru competition.

CBJJ is an organization. It's a good thing that it doesn't put pressure to people that promote and put lot's of rules... but there should be some control.

It has always been my understanding That your can promote to one level below you. therefore a brown belt can promote someone up to puple if they desire.

i dont think they can without a black belts permission and then only up to purple

You can promote up to one level under you. However this is done only under the most dire of circumstances. For example, a guy in Guam who has no black belt readily availible really wants to promote this blue belt to purple so he can compete in the Pan Ams, but can't wait for the black belts visit in 9 months.

It would be HIGHLY inappropriate, for example, for me to promote a whitebelt at my gym. My instructor would likely beat me unconscious. And who would you rather get your blue belt from? Some random scrub purple belt or a 4th degree Carlson black belt? No brainer.

I heard purples can even promote but only stripes to white belters.. if the school uses the stripe system..

bround belt's and purple promote, i heard about it plenty of times... but as far as i know only a bb is able to do that.

TJS said:
It has always been my understanding That your can promote to one level below you. therefore a brown belt can promote someone up to puple if they desire.
That is what I heard as well . It comes down to what the senior instuctor wants ( the head black belt) , and what he told the brown belt teacher he expects for belt advancement . Most belt advancements from purple on are tightly controlled ...

I got my blue from a brown belt, but he said that he talked to the BB owner first. The brown belt guy was just the guy that I trained with the most so he gave it to me.

Back