Are 6 month suspensions jokes?

90% of the time Sherdoggers pull stats completely out of their asses. I chose a random UFC event (UFC 134), and 14 out of 24 fighters on the card did not have a fight within 6 months of that card. Majority, yes, but 90 percent? At least TRY to sound plausible! Of course, I only checked one card at random, so feel free to prove me wrong. I'm 90% certain that i did more research on that stat that you did, though.

Now, on topic:

What's wrong with a 6 month suspension? Think of it like a one-game suspension in football. You don't have to completely derail someone's career to adequately punish them.

Overeem fans/nuthuggers will tell you that he never actually got caught with a banned substance in his body, so losing one fight probably seems right to them.

If Overeem fans said that he never got suspended for having a band substance in his body they would be correct. Since he was able to produce a doctor who prescribed the banned medicine, he was subsequently suspended for falsifying his paperwork.
It ends up being the same thing basically but your suspended for being a liar and not a cheater.

I think it's more to show that they have a penalty for fighters who break the rules without hurting the industry.

This.

Plus, six months on the shelf still hurts the ol livelihood if you are an active fighter like Kos

9 should be the max. These guys are lucky if they have a 10-15 year career. Taking a year away is potentially 10% of their whole career.

9 should be the max. These guys are lucky if they have a 10-15 year career. Taking a year away is potentially 10% of their whole career.

Or here's something crazy don't do the steroids and dont cheat. Amazing way to solve the problem. 1 year is a good ban. It is sifnificant enough to stop them from cheating or if they do they are punished.

So I've been thinking, do 6 month suspensions even mean anything? Especially inside the UFC? I mean when NSAC or CSAC issue a suspension like that is it basically just a slap on the wrist? I mean 90% of the time most UFC fighters don't even have a fight materialize within 6 months of their last fight. Is it just a mundane warning saying don't do that again?

It's just a warning

They get fined as well. The suspension itself might not be much if they weren't planning to fight in the next 6 months, but a 10,000 dollar fine isn't.

short answer: yes
long answer: yyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssss

Yes it's a joke. Why even worry about cheating if the punishment hardly even damages your career? You can basically get suspended and come back pretty cloe to a title shot. A few fines and some time off then you're right back in the thick of thing.

I like 9 months for a first offense. Realistically 6 months is only missing 1 fight. 9 months would be missing 2 fights if the fighter is trying for 3/year.

I guess 9 months could only mean missing 1 fight also if you set up a fight right after the suspension is up. IDK the details but I'm sure there has to be some hoop jumping done in order for that to be possible and they have to get approval still to promote a fight on suspension.

I never really looked into that but I thought I read something about that the other day where the UFC had permission to promote Overeem but not Diaz. I might have mixed 2 different articles in my memory so correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it is also down to "The employer".. simple... if it's PEDs they should get fired... Controlled substaces - no idea

No, could be two paydays for a highly active fighter. Also depends on the offence in my opinion

2 years for 1st, 4 years for 2nd should be the minimum. 4 years for 1st, life for 2nd would be even better.

I'd be going 12 months otherwise guys are only really getting a 1 fight maybe 2 suspension at the most, but for most guys at the upper level 6 months is just a training camp and rest between fights.

I think it depends on what it is. If it's weed i don't think you should get punished at all. If you get caught with roids it should be at least a year.

Overeem fans/nuthuggers will tell you that he never actually got caught with a banned substance in his body, so losing one fight probably seems right to them.

Reem didnt get 6 months suspension.

Back