Are 16oz or 14oz gloves for bag training?

Garcon949

White Belt
Reaction score
A Kru told me once that using 16oz gloves are not ideal for bag training since they are heavier and put more stress on your wrist.

I alternate between 16 and 14. Any thoughts?

A Kru told me once that using 16oz gloves are not ideal for bag training since they are heavier and put more stress on your wrist.

I alternate between 16 and 14. Any thoughts?

I like to use smaller gloves to bag work, but I'm curious as to how 16s would put stress on your wrist.

I like to use 18oz. for pad work, bag work, and other drilling, but sparring I like to use my 14oz.

They can be. I do have bag gloves but I like to use 14 oz gloves for bags and pads, easier on the hands and wrists.

I like the 16oz Reyes gloves, but they are really wide. Not as bad as you might thing for DE bag. But they are great for heavy bags.

I found a good deal on some fairtex gloves on Ebay, but they were 10 oz. I thought they were 12oz.

I use the 10 oz for bag, padwork. 16oz throwaway Neverlast for sparring.

I can't imagine how a 16oz glove would put any more stress on your wrists than a 14. the heavier the better. conditions your arms for strength and hand speed.

I like to use light gloves (12's or 14's) for bag and padwork. To me the primary purpose of the heavy bag is to increase punching power and bone density (as well as condition the arm joints and knuckles). The heavier the gloves, the less speed and power can be created. And since every action has an equal and opposite reaction, less speed and power = less resistance transferred from the bag to you = less damage = less adaptation.

I like to use them on pads as well where I'm focusing on speed and accuracy.

16+ are only good for hard sparring, imo. If you're using them for anything else, you're not getting the most benefit out of whatever it is.

I can't imagine how a 16oz glove would put any more stress on your wrists than a 14. the heavier the better. conditions your arms for strength and hand speed.

16oz anything will not build strength unless you're already incredibly weak. They will build endurance, however.

edit: also, why don't you think the weight puts any added stress on the wrist when immediately afterward you say the weight is adding stress to the rest of the arm?

I use Boon bag gloves. I think they are 8 or 10 oz. I used a pair of Twins 16 oz for everything when I started training but now I use 16 oz gloves for sparring and the bag gloves for bag and pad work. I would never go back to anything more than 12 oz for bag/pad work. The heavier gloves fatigue me too much when doing lots of rounds of work. I also think the bag gloves with no wrist support force you to have better technique and better power because if your form is not correct it will jack up your wrists.

12 oz for bag and padwork as well as defensive drills.

16 oz for sparring.

12-14 for bags and pads. Heavy gloves makes it easier to hold your hands up when fighting with small gloves.
20oz for sparring so you dont hurt your opponent

Back