• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Arcade Lounges Boardgame Club

Very cool. Glad you guys enjoyed it. I actually tried it for the first time with my GF last week. She can get easily frustrated if games are too complex and she was already grumbling during the "how to" video because it was long and at face-value seemed like it would be confusing. TBH, the one we watched seemed really daunting at first. But like you said, once you get up and running the game flows incredibly well and it's easy to learn and play. We didn't try the Herb Witches Expansion which came in the big box since it was our first time, but we can tell it's a game that we will enjoy playing for a while. I've considered spending on premium pieces in the Etsy store. They're not that expensive and I think they add a little more to the game.

I'd be interested to see if your little ones like it.

My GF picked up a few games for me for Valentines. She got me Everdell, PanAm and Takenoko. She took a shot in the dark at what she might think I would like and all of those sound interesting. We still haven't started our Pandemic Legacy Season 1 yet. We've played several games of the original so that's also on our list.

we started Pandemic Legacy with some friends and made it through like May, but as people die you’re literally tearing up cards and throwing them out and that goes against every fiber of my being. We ended up taking a break and never went back. If we played more regularly I think it would have been a better experience but our spans between campaigns was to long and we’d have to spend some time getting back up and running.

I can’t praise Takenoko enough. It’s another one of the crowd pleaser titles the easy to set up, plays quick, and easy to teach to others. Plus the way it plays you get two actions per turn so you really focus on your own strategy for collecting points. The game play is really difficult to try and play a strategy where you try and stifle another player like in Catan. So if someone likes games but not super competitive, Takenoko is great.

we started Pandemic Legacy with some friends and made it through like May, but as people die you’re literally tearing up cards and throwing them out and that goes against every fiber of my being. We ended up taking a break and never went back. If we played more regularly I think it would have been a better experience but our spans between campaigns was to long and we’d have to spend some time getting back up and running.

I can’t praise Takenoko enough. It’s another one of the crowd pleaser titles the easy to set up, plays quick, and easy to teach to others. Plus the way it plays you get two actions per turn so you really focus on your own strategy for collecting points. The game play is really difficult to try and play a strategy where you try and stifle another player like in Catan. So if someone likes games but not super competitive, Takenoko is great.

That's exactly why I think Pandemic Legacy might be better suited for 2 people. It's probably more enjoyable with four people, but there are a lot of variables when that many people play. My gf loves the game and from what I've heard the campaigned is rewarding so we're going to give it a shot. When I read that you have to destroy cards, that also threw me for a loop. I don't really like tearing up things I paid for, especially in a board game. It is a genius move on their end though. Creating a game you can really only play once.

My GF said she picked it because it was light and cute. She loves the artwork on it and I've found that if she picks the games, she is more likely to play them. I do enjoy boardgaming and it's a great newfound hobby, I just want to make sure I have someone to play with. She did love Quacks and Radlands though, two of which I picked. So I'm on the right track there. I'm excited to try Takenoko. I can't recall the last time I've played a worker placement game. I've had my eye on Viticulture for a while and I like the chaining concept, but Takenoko seems like a great gateway into the mechanic.

That's exactly why I think Pandemic Legacy might be better suited for 2 people. It's probably more enjoyable with four people, but there are a lot of variables when that many people play. My gf loves the game and from what I've heard the campaigned is rewarding so we're going to give it a shot. When I read that you have to destroy cards, that also threw me for a loop. I don't really like tearing up things I paid for, especially in a board game. It is a genius move on their end though. Creating a game you can really only play once.

My GF said she picked it because it was light and cute. She loves the artwork on it and I've found that if she picks the games, she is more likely to play them. I do enjoy boardgaming and it's a great newfound hobby, I just want to make sure I have someone to play with. She did love Quacks and Radlands though, two of which I picked. So I'm on the right track there. I'm excited to try Takenoko. I can't recall the last time I've played a worker placement game. I've had my eye on Viticulture for a while and I like the chaining concept, but Takenoko seems like a great gateway into the mechanic.

Throwing the cards away was hard for me. Not only I’m I tearing up something I paid for, but the characters all have unique perks. So when my medic character died, I had to start some other character with some random perk. It’s hard to let that go. It’s great that it brings a sense of real weight in your actions and impending doom, but fvcking he’ll did that game give me anxiety.

My wife and I play co-op board games as a nice break away from electronics. We have been working through Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion. We’re having fun with it, enough that she wants to get Gloomhaven even though it is pricey.

I really want HeroQuest. I had it as a kid and none of my friends ever wanted to play so I got rid of it. Wish I still had it as I know my wife would have fun.

My wife and I play co-op board games as a nice break away from electronics. We have been working through Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion. We’re having fun with it, enough that she wants to get Gloomhaven even though it is pricey.

I really want HeroQuest. I had it as a kid and none of my friends ever wanted to play so I got rid of it. Wish I still had it as I know my wife would have fun.

you should check out Mice and Mystics. I bought to play with my kids a few years back looking for something like HeroQuest. They liked it but my daughter was a little to young. The really nice thing about M&M is even though it played similar to HQ, there is no need for a dungeon master. So if it’s just you and the wife you can each control 2 hero’s and play together without the need for someone to be the DM.

Also with the new HQ remaster, there is an official app that you can run while you play that acts as the DM. Create some nice options if you don’t have someone to take on the DM.

I use to play Kingdom Death: Monster as my main board game of choice but it got to the the point that it was just too much content and the campaigns took too long. Switched to Eldritch Horror at the start of the pandemic and fell in love with that. Hunted down all the expansions and even a nice storage trunk for all the content.
eh01_boxlayout.png

maxresdefault.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

Throwing the cards away was hard for me. Not only I’m I tearing up something I paid for, but the characters all have unique perks. So when my medic character died, I had to start some other character with some random perk. It’s hard to let that go. It’s great that it brings a sense of real weight in your actions and impending doom, but fvcking he’ll did that game give me anxiety.

that's hilarious because the Medic is also my fav starting character. I've read a little bit of strategy in the game and from what I've read he doesn't rank that high on a tier list, but I think he's the best to play with. Always saving the group from outbreaks. I will keep you posted on how our 2-player game goes.

Last edited:

That's really cool. I like to play with my GF because it's something we can both do at night when the little man is sleeping. It keeps me off my PS5 and her off of her phone. The only Co-Op we've played is Pandemic. She got me Takenoko which @Dinkin_Flicka says its a great game so I'm looking forward to that. Also, Townsfolk Tussle has gotten some good reviews although my guess is it could be hard to find at the moment. Gloomhaven JOTL seems like it might be tough for me to get her into, even with the app guiding us.

I use to play Kingdom Death: Monster as my main board game of choice but it got to the the point that it was just too much content and the campaigns took too long. Switched to Eldritch Horror at the start of the pandemic and fell in love with that. Hunted down all the expansions and even a nice storage trunk for all the content.
eh01_boxlayout.png

maxresdefault.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

Beautiful game. I've seen it around and mentioned a ton of times, but have never looked too deep into it.

Last edited:
That's really cool. I like to play with my GF because it's something we can both do at night when the little man is sleeping. It keeps me off my PS5 and her off of her phone. The only Co-Op we've played is Pandemic. She got me Takenoko which @Dinkin_Flicka says its a great game so I'm looking forward to that. Also, Townsfolk Tussle has gotten some good reviews although my guess is it could be hard to find at the moment. Gloomhaven JOTL seems like it might be tough for me to get her into, even with the app guiding us.

Beautiful game. I've seen it around and mentioned a ton of times, but have never looked too deep into it.
It's a great co-op game to play with friends, but I have also played it solo and had a lot of fun doing that. With the expansions there is a lot of content and things to do on the board (as well as side boards).

A game I have my eye on but haven't purchased yet is Scythe:
918TkODhXPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

1*fcOemY1xrwLcWUnX8l8g8Q.jpeg

Got a game yesterday called Tiny Epic Dungeons that I kickstarted a year ago and almost forgot about. I was missing HeroQuest and looking for something similar and stumbled on it as well as Bardsung. Ran out of time tonight with family chores but want to break it out tomorrow with the kids.

dd139457695e349a3d918f32ab4a2df9_original.png

Great part is the game box itself is tiny, hence the name. It's like then size of a few decks of cards. Was worried that the pieces would be ultra small, but they're actually decently sized and I don't feel like I'm holding miniature game pieces.

On to other games that are great fun for adults but fun for younger kids as well.

Dragonrealm

View attachment 905341

This game is part dice roll and part deck building. It has two different rule sets. One simplified rule set that is fun for kids and a more advanced rule set that employs more strategy. Plays pretty fast and easy to teach, so great intro game with friends.
My kids and I play Dragonwood, the predecessor to Dragonrealm, and actually like it better. They're both great games, though.

Last edited:
Got a game yesterday called Tiny Epic Dungeons that I kickstarted a year ago and almost forgot about. I was missing HeroQuest and looking for something similar and stumbled on it as well as Bardsung. Ran out of time tonight with family chores but want to break it out tomorrow with the kids.

View attachment 908778

Great part is the game box itself is tiny, hence the name. It's like then size of a few decks of cards. Was worried that the pieces would be ultra small, but they're actually decently sized and I don't feel like I'm holding miniature game pieces.
That looks kinda similar to Catacombs of Karak. My kids really enjoy Karak. It's a simple dice rolling dungeon crawl game.

image_f177c7e4-bfc7-408e-9778-d2776f34c7b7_1200x1200.jpg

Let me know how Tiny Epic Dungeons goes. The kids love Karak, but I'd love to mix it up with something new lol. It gets a little repetitive for an adult.

That looks kinda similar to Catacombs of Karak. My kids really enjoy Karak. It's a simple dice rolling dungeon crawl game.

image_f177c7e4-bfc7-408e-9778-d2776f34c7b7_1200x1200.jpg

Let me know how Tiny Epic Dungeons goes. The kids love Karak, but I'd love to mix it up with something new lol. It gets a little repetitive for an adult.

this looks fun, I will definitely look this one up. Not sure how the wife will take it because we have a lot of table top dungeon crawler style games recently and might just say we have enough.

will post my thoughts on Tiny Epic Dungeons after we get a few rounds in over the long weekend.

what are your kids age range? Mine are 12 and 8 and for now it’s hard to strike a balance with this style of game that isn’t to complex to keep my youngest attention span.

this looks fun, I will definitely look this one up. Not sure how the wife will take it because we have a lot of table top dungeon crawler style games recently and might just say we have enough.

will post my thoughts on Tiny Epic Dungeons after we get a few rounds in over the long weekend.

what are your kids age range? Mine are 12 and 8 and for now it’s hard to strike a balance with this style of game that isn’t to complex to keep my youngest attention span.
4, 7, and 9

The 4 yearold has to be handheld a bit from time to time, but he stays engaged as long as I respond enthusiastically whenever he kills something.

We also play Hero Kids, which they love. I recently did a dialogue/story heavy session, though, and learned that they absolutely will not stay engaged for that. They like combat and dice rolling challenges. All that talking shit is lame. <45>

It's a great co-op game to play with friends, but I have also played it solo and had a lot of fun doing that. With the expansions there is a lot of content and things to do on the board (as well as side boards).

A game I have my eye on but haven't purchased yet is Scythe:
918TkODhXPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

1*fcOemY1xrwLcWUnX8l8g8Q.jpeg
Scythe looks awesome, anyone here play it before?

I mean, for anyone who has never played it, The Settlers of Catan is a must have/play. It is far, far more sophisticated (as in, it allows for a lot of skill and strategy) than the classic Monopoly type board games, it has a low point of entry, a high ceiling of strategy and challenge, keeps players who are behind active and not just waiting until the game ends, has mechanisms to prevent runaways... This game is a mathematical and design marvel that everyone should play.

That being said, everyone knows about it, so it's only a step above saying "Hey, you should play Monopoly!" A lesser known game that I really enjoy is this guy:

91ZHRLEhZdL._SL1500_.jpg

Amazon.com: Illuminati : Jackson, Steve: Toys & Games

This is the first edition - I've never played the second. It is not a game for players who aren't at least somewhat serious, but if you're looking for a cutthroat game to play with friends who are not faint of heart this is a great choice. The game is brutal, players are encouraged to be nasty and punishing to each other, it constantly involves the whole table in trying to pull the rug out from other players, it promotes in-game politics (IE - people working together and against others in a structured an intentional way), it is loaded with amusing cultural references... Good game.

Other fun ones. Small World:

c449c6ec-cae1-4b3c-8010-f74390d56abd_1.9d0a7645e3cd8d776b8a1396f03b524b.jpeg

A good fantasy war game with a low point of entry.

Also, Ticket to Ride:

ticketride3.jpg

This game is fun, colourful, and a bit more mellow than Small World. Don't go with the America version - the map is boring.

One problem with Ticket and Small World is that both can suffer from experience players coming in and just dominating and ruining it for everyone. Illuminati can have this, but the game supports ganging up so well that it oftentimes the dominant player gets absolutely dogpiled. Catan is much more resistant to this type of behaviour as bad dogpiling usually results in you losing, so self interest steers players clear of that unless they are bringing grudges to the table.

71EQcvslvBL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Forbidden Island: Fun little co-op game that's easy to learn. You need to collect 4 pieces of treasure before the Island fully sinks. Great for beginners and non board game players. Games go by quick so you don't need a big time commitment.

You can also find it for very cheap, $20 Canadian on Amazon.

Back