• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Apparently Volkov has an Engineering degree.

I'm about to achieve the level of qualification below a degree for Electrical Engineering here in the UK. I have absolutely no intention of going for a degree. The maths has been hard enough.

How's life in your mum's basement?

Joking! Good on you bro. Electrical engineering is probably the hardest degree you can do. Learning low-level programming on top of all the math...it takes a unique brain.

I'm doing my masters in data analytics and I was an ammy fighter. I can't say I'm good looking with all the face punching, but I get by.

I'm sure you're making bank with your degree. My industry is crazy competitive.

Yeah it’s pretty good money wise, I got into tech saws a few years back and it pays well but it’s stressful but interesting.

Ive sparred a few times and I’m not keen for too much more ha ha, that shit hurts when you’re as slow as me!

it figures, Bustamante was a real technician

Although honestly the two don't seem to relate a lot of the time, plenty of fighters who are smart outside of the ring/cage much less so in it.

In Brazil espeically a lot of the guys who came though earlier in MMA were often from quite well off backgrounds as BJJ wasnt cheap to train, The Nogs, The Ruas, I wouldnt be supprised with Busta either.

You know who else has an electrical engineering degree? This fucking guy

33925330-8800445-image-a-2_1601684278812.jpg

Man I'm only a mechanical engineer.
I really wanted to be an electrical engineer but I couldn't afford the operation.

Oh you’re one of them? Well at least you’re standard 6 foot 5 275 pounds and 5% body fat I guess…

He was graduated in 2011 Bauman Moscow State Technical University. I couldn't find the engineering stream he has his degree on, but nonetheless, it is impressive. He was already an MMA pro with 9-3 record when he graduated, Which makes this feat more impressive.

source: From engineer to prizefighter, Volkov taking step forward vs Struve | UFC
So? Shane Carwin had two of those and worked full time while finishing people in and outside the ufc in 1 round consistently.

Smart fella. I'm kind of expecting him to put a hurtin on gane too. Rooting for the guy.

He has a civil engineering degree. He was a pretty prominent figure in the local MMA scene here.

I can't stress how hard an engineering degree is (electrical and civil). It's basically a physics degree with programming elements (for electrical anyway, I'm not sure about civil). I did an IT degree and I struggled with one math unit in statistical analysis. The math gets exponentially harder from there.

He's a smart dude, even if he doesn't come across that way.
In my experience (got both phys and EE) physics is way harder than EE but easier than mechE, which a ton of my friends took

He has a civil engineering degree. He was a pretty prominent figure in the local MMA scene here.

I can't stress how hard an engineering degree is (electrical and civil). It's basically a physics degree with programming elements (for electrical anyway, I'm not sure about civil). I did an IT degree and I struggled with one math unit in statistical analysis. The math gets exponentially harder from there.

He's a smart dude, even if he doesn't come across that way.

What's your take on a Chemical Engineering degree? My oldest just graduated and got his ring.

Totally different realms
Cholish is a wrestling bro who does some finance stuff trading energy contracts after got plugged into the boys club at a firm thru being good enough to wrestle at Cornell. Definitely pays well and a hyper competitive industry, but it's not built around academic achievement moreso sales and basic math and guys like him landing gigs on Wall Street are honestly a dime-a-dozen among Ivy League sports recruits who don't get scholarships but had pipelines for getting recruited to sell shit on wall st working long hrs.
Going to a specialized Russian school for a hard-sciences degree having nothing to do with your sporting career is far more intellectually impressive imo.

This is true, I'm inclined to agree with you. Those hard-sciences degrees are so much tougher to complete

What's your take on a Chemical Engineering degree? My oldest just graduated and got his ring.

Canadian Order or US? What school?

Chem Eng is a very difficult degree due to the multidisciplinary nature of it. I'd rank in it the top 3 in terms of straight engineering degrees

Sweet. Would love to see a smart fighter using A+ game plans against each different opponent

Hoping Volkov has the answer to the jacked hype job here. He’s hitting +150 and it’s hard to stay away from a +150 with a chance. Probably put some on my fellow engineer before end of the week

Back