Anything out there about Velasquez and Cormier Sparring?

tuff juice

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Have there been any quotes about how their sparring or grappling sessions go?

Cormier has always been very humble towards Cain in interviews and we've all heard how much of a gym rat Cain is. My guess is that Cain gets the better of him but who knows, I'm very interested to see if anyone has any info on it.

I saw somewhere that it's a standstill sort of thing, but that could be both guys being nice and saving face. It was interesting, though, the other day an interview with Cain in a limo I think it was, was posted and Cain said Cormier will move down to 205 and that he will beat Jones. Cain seemed very matter of fact with it, but Cain's usually pretty efficient with his words so who knows.

Cain has also been saying that he was getting the better of Duffee and Cormier in the beginning of camp for his win over dos Santos, but once they started to get used to what he wanted to do, they gradually adjusted, and he wasn't quite as successful sparring against them.

I feel like Cain probably gets the better of it because Cormier has always said he'd be the one to move down. Cain has also shown better cardio in his career, and with two top-level wrestlers like that, it could very well be the difference.

That last part's just utter speculation, and it'll be interesting to see Cormier show off his rapid improvement in his next fight.

There's definitely an interview with Cormier out there where he talks about Cain being a beast and getting the better of him in training, but it's expected as he's the best in the world. I honestly don't recall if it was on here or a different site though.

There's also a good sit down with DC on the Sherdog Radio Network (on the Rewind Show), if you wanted to find out more info on DC. Really good and in depth talk about his career, losing his baby and transitioning from Olympic Wrestling to MMA.

Cormier is being respectful by saying Cain beats him I think, Mendez said it's competitive.

Cormier is being respectful by saying Cain beats him I think, Mendez said it's competitive.

Yeah you'd expect this would be the most realistic outcome. However, Cain does have better hands (not as powerful though), and could put on a faster pace.

It's a standstill per one of their coaches or gym members (can't remember but the interview literally days ago.

They are the #1 and #2 HW's in the world IMHO. DC has the edge with wrestling and has a ton of strong points, but i think Cain is the most complete fighter at HW.

Cain has said that Cormier is a great sparring partner, and every time they spar it's a tough 'fight', pretty much.

Yeah you'd expect this would be the most realistic outcome. However, Cain does have better hands (not as powerful though), and could put on a faster pace.

I agree.

Power's great in a fight, but it's a little muffled in sparring. First of all, you're not trying to kill the other guy when you're sparring (well, maybe Wand does lol), and it's harder to land big shots when you have headgear and big gloves. I'd say the advantage goes to the cleaner, faster puncher.

"He ain't no Cain valesquez the guy aint no valesquez," Cormier after ktfoing big foot

I think there was an interview somewhere with Mendez, before Cain fought Brock, talking about how only Cormier was able to take Cain down but even he couldn't keep him down in training.

Back