Anyone?

Matsukaze

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Anyone ever change bjj academy's due to a change in owner affiliation?
I recently made that decision about a year ago. I'm a two stripe brown belt and I left my old gym, who changed affiliations, to go to another school that I could continue what I had been doing for 15 years and hopefully earn the black belt. I didn't want to have to basically start over learning a new curriculum too

That's kind of odd. Most people feel greater connexion and loyalty to their instructor, not to the affiliation.

That's kind of odd. Most people feel greater connexion and loyalty to their instructor, not to the affiliation.

Second this sentiment. I can see it happening though if you really had a problem with the affiliation. Say, the new affiliation was one of the most controversial ones, which I'll leave unnamed to not derail.

On the curriculum, a change in affiliation doesn't really change much. It still comes down to the instructor and what they emphasise. I understand that there might be some that for example have a additional requirements (say, Gracie and a self defence portion that I hear about, don't quote me on it because I don't know for sure) that one might now really like. At my gym, when we finally got affiliated, nothing much changed, we still taught the stuff we liked. We did get a brand new sign up though....

I’m pretty sure what’s what happened with Kurt osiander and it didn’t turn out well for him honestly

Anyone ever change bjj academy's due to a change in owner affiliation?
I recently made that decision about a year ago. I'm a two stripe brown belt and I left my old gym, who changed affiliations, to go to another school that I could continue what I had been doing for 15 years and hopefully earn the black belt. I didn't want to have to basically start over learning a new curriculum too
If you're from a big city, its totally fine. In most cities, less established gyms are constantly coming and going; so no hard feelings. Even seen
some very well-established gyms move around or disappear all together.

Back