Anyone using a custom fitted Mouth Guard?

PistolPeteMMA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a custom fitted mouth guard for my BJJ and MMA training. These boil and bite ones just don't stay in my mouth and I have to fit them 10 times to get one kinda close. I've been debating about buying one of these for a few months now and think it's time to pull the trigger. If you use one of these how do they work? Which brand did you go with?

I'm debating between Shock Doctor and the Fight Dentist but not sure which one to go with. I like the idea of getting a custom design with the Fight Dentist but not sure it's worth another $50. I trust the Shock Doctor brand though because they've been around for a long time and def. know what they are doing.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Pete

I have a Gladiator guard PRO (customguards.com) It is a great custom guard for $50 and the half price after that is great. You have to pull the guard out with your finger it doesn't fall out. If you choose this though i'd go with the PRO since I heard the Elite guard is really thick and makes your lip buldge out.

Have you tried Opro boil and bite guards? I have the Gold Premium (gold and black) and it is really good. Is is nice a thin and doesn't come loose unless I want it too. I use it for BJJ but I think it would be ok for MMA, they also have a platinum model that is designed for heavy impact.

I have tried a few guards that are suppost to be tight fitting, the RBK custom guard (set the gel ur self and bite), they fit good but are really bulky. Shock doctors always pop out on me and require more than one fitting. So I tried the Opro and IMO it is the best hands down, I ordered it on Ebay for $27cad shipped. If you havent tried one of them yet I would give them a try.

I think I'm going to buy one of the Gladiator guards because for $50 I don't think I can go wrong. What type of turn around time did it take to get your Gladiator Mouth Guard?

I think I'm going to buy one of the Gladiator guards because for $50 I don't think I can go wrong. What type of turn around time did it take to get your Gladiator Mouth Guard?

I think it was within 7 days, and that included a call from them to clarify the custom artwork I sent in. Pretty sure it wasn't much more than that.

I know a lot of dentists can make you custom mouth guards. They make a mold of your mouth, and then make the mouth guard around that. I've only used them for hockey because I am not experienced enough to be allowed to spar or fight yet, but I can tell you from my experience, that is the way to go. I think it costs about 30 or 40 dollars every time you get a new mouth guard, and you may only need a new one every one or two years. The only downside is that it may take a couple of weeks for it to be ready to use.

alot of guys seem to like python on sherdog

i recently orderd one and scott is pretty easy to get incontact with il keep you guys posted :)

there was a thread here bout ppl having complaints about fight dentist customer service so who knows what happend.

For the money Gladiator is where its at.... Great customer service and you keep your mold so each additional mouth guard is half off. I love mine.

I just got my Gladiator last week and I love the fitment of it. Plus like the others said, you get half off your next orders. You can also customize the guard and have a great selection of colors to choose from too. Their turnaround time to get stuff to you is excellent as well.

i guess i'll go ahead and add that gladiator is a great deal. i have a PRO model, and its great. i can breath and drink water easily.

I tried the pro-tekt brand custom mouthguard. It lost it's shape after one use. I had to re-boil it and now it is pretty tight fitting, better than any boil and bite ever could be. Although with a custom mouthguard I didn't think I would need to re-boil it to fit. It was cheap though. Only 55 bucks.

I have a Gladiator Guard and a Python guard.

After using both, the Python Guard is much more comfortable and the artwork is 100% better/detailed.

I have the Elite Gladiator which ended up costing me $100 because I chose a custom color combo.
The Python cost $120.

You can't go wrong with either and the $50 Pro from Gladiator is good enough. My BB BJJ instructor uses the Gladiator Pro and has never had a problem.

Guard on the left is the Gladiator Guard...on the right is the Python Guard (there is detail in the teeth that isn't showing up in the picture.
CIMG1668.jpg

<p>
CIMG1670.jpg

Last edited:
I was already planning on getting a Gladiator Pro and was wondering how much it cost to have custom logos added. I imagine it may vary based on design, but I'm curious as to how much others have paid.

For the Gladiator, you can get text put along the side and front for free. I know the side for sure is free, but for the front you just have to give them the web address of the image you want put on the front.

we are no longer in business, but send all inquires we get to Jawzz, their guards are great!

Have you tried Opro boil and bite guards? I have the Gold Premium (gold and black) and it is really good. Is is nice a thin and doesn't come loose unless I want it too. I use it for BJJ but I think it would be ok for MMA, they also have a platinum model that is designed for heavy impact.

I have tried a few guards that are suppost to be tight fitting, the RBK custom guard (set the gel ur self and bite), they fit good but are really bulky. Shock doctors always pop out on me and require more than one fitting. So I tried the Opro and IMO it is the best hands down, I ordered it on Ebay for $27cad shipped. If you havent tried one of them yet I would give them a try.

You are aware that all the "premium" boil and bit guards with their added plastic and so on are harder to get a good fit with than the cheap noname boil and bites, right?

I have yet to use a $5 B'n'B that didn't end up fitting so tight that I need to take it out with my fingers.

I'd never buy a B'n'B for $20+ bucks. Either get a cheap noname B'n'B for a few bucks or cough up the $50 for a real custom mouthguard with much better protection. That's what I'll be doing some time after I get my wisdom teeth pulled...

Last edited:
Back