Anyone use Vitamin Shoppe greens powder?

I've never used it, but isn't greens+ like $3 more than theirs? They sell it for $27 I think.

Edit: Kinda cool they have Lipase, Amylase, and Protease in their greens.

I use a Vitamin Shoppe brand greens powder but it's not that one. For some reason the one I use isn't on their website. Maybe it's being discontinued and replaced... I don't know. The ingredient quantities per serving are different than Greens Plus but even if Greens + is a better formula, I doubt it's significant. I'd use what was linked to save some cash.

I don't really mind the taste of wild berry burst greens+. It is also a ton better if you make it in juice instead of water. I heard trader joes has a cheap greens supplement, which I'll try next.

Actually taste is a factor as well. I hear that vitamin shoppe greens has a consumable flavor as opposed to the seaweed flavor of other supplements.

The Vitamin Shoppe brand that I use comes in 3 flavors; Berry, Apple Berry, and Tropical. They don't taste bad but I'd also like to note that they all taste the fucking same as well. I can't tell the difference between any of the three flavors. Anyhow, I have a feeling that the Bio Blend you linked tastes like grass. I mean, if you chop up a bunch of weeds and throw it into a drink unflavored, what else would it taste like? I doubt it tastes much different than Greens plus if it tastes different at all. In fact, Madmick did a greens powder taste comparison a long time ago. I believe he said that there wasn't any noticeable difference between the unflavored brands he tried. I don't remember what the brands were though... that was probably a couple of years back.

There's a huge difference in the taste between the last two unflavored greens that I used.

More than a greens powder
Miracle Greens

Miracle Greens were horrible in my opinion. None of them taste good and more than a greens powder tasted like dissolved rabbit pellets... Still, I'd rather drink that than Miracle Greens.

Bumping this to hear if anyone thinks there's a huge difference between Greens+ and this Vitamin Shoppe brand?

Bumping this to hear if anyone thinks there's a huge difference between Greens+ and this Vitamin Shoppe brand?

both have similar amounts of cheap filler, so no, not much difference

the two best greens powders without fillers or flavorings or vitamin/mineral enrichments: on opposite sides of the food basket, trophic greens concentrate (canadian company, exotic super foods) and new chapter berry green (overpriced but it has a variety of traditional whole foods)

What's the cheap filler in Greens+?

The first ingredient is lecithin, and lecithin is pretty inexpensive. Not to mention of questionable supplemental value :) Given the price a little container of greens+ costs, that was the first alarm that went off in my head.

Next is "Organic barley, alfalfa, and wheat grass & red beet powders", which is fine, except they don't tell you how much of each is included, so it could be 99% of the cheapest one.

It also has apple fiber, which is just fiber, which is not something you need to pay a premium for.

And the flavored greens+ looks to be 1/8th flavoring.

None of this is necessarily bad. I just think the value isn't there. As far as the ingredients are concerned, you also have to think about why you are taking this stuff. If you are taking it because you don't get enough fruits and vegetables (like me), then taking something that is 1/3rd not fruits and vegetables might not be the best path to take.

Looking at the prices per pound on ebay, the contents of greens+ didn't add up for me. You could probably make a bulk mix that is very similar to greens+ for significantly less money.

That is when I started looking at every greens powder I could find. I ended up with the two I recommended above. They both have two different sets of plant powders combined with some probiotic powder. Trophic greens concentrate is golden because it hits all the points I want: spirulina, barley, goji, acai.... If I had to take one, I'd take that. You could also just buy spirulina and acai powder and mix in some berry green for variety...

The first ingredient is lecithin, and lecithin is pretty inexpensive. Not to mention of questionable supplemental value :) Given the price a little container of greens+ costs, that was the first alarm that went off in my head.

While I would agree with you that lecithin is a relatively cheap supplement, I'd have to disagree with your opinion that it's of questionable value.

Lecithin is a extremely easy source of phosphatidyl choline, a precursor to acetylcholine. PreWO combined with caffeine, this ensure the caffiene actual has something to work on, versus depleted neurotransmitter stores. This goes with any nootropic, also.

Secondly, PC is an effective buffer of elevated cortisol levels from high volume or HIIT training; it's also been recommended PM to enhance sleep, but this is just purely anecdotal, and I've never tried it.

Off topic, but excellent posting, Loomy.

AVOID all Vitamin Shoppe Brand products at ALL costs. This company has just settled a class action law suit regarding selling a Vitamin Product they make (called Especially for Women) which contained dangerous amounts of LEAD. Once lead is found in one product from a comapny, I wouldnt take the chance to think that the rest of them are OK.

Go to the Vitamin Shoppe website and check the tiny print disclaimer at the bottom regarding their lead filled vitamins.

The only thing I would buy from The Vitamin Shoppe are third party brands.

how does that happen? somehow the machinery contaminates the vitamins? that's nuts.

Damn I just bought a hyooj bottle of Vitamin Shoppe fish oil capsules. But then I guess that's okay since fish oil cures lead poisoning*

*-this is a joke, do not attempt at home.

from what the sales rep at my vitamin shoppe told me (so take this with a grain of salt) V Shoppe just repackages existing popular supplements and sells them as their own for a few bucks cheaper. their PRO24 protein is ON 100%. identical taste and nutritional profile, different tub. creatine is ON's monohydrate, but different packaging. ive used their store brand stuff plenty over the years and never had a problem. they have great prices for a local shop, and are great if you cant wait for something to ship to you.

ive used their

-greens powder
-pro 24 protein
-creatine mono
-bcaa pills
-fish oil
all with positive results.

i even used their multi for a week, and missed every PR, and generally felt like shit. the only thing from there i didnt like. i took it back, and got a full refund, and an employee discount on the multi of my choice. Cant beat that for service.

That Vitamin Shoppe employee is lying to you. They buy alot of their products from off companies. Call their 1-800 number and by law they have to disclose who makes their products. Optimum does NOT make their proteins! I called both companies and had this confirmed. The rep on their customer service line told me that "East Street Labs" makes their Whey Tech 24 and the guy from Optimum reacted like I was talking Greek. The Vitamin Shoppe from my experience with them does have good business practice.

Just google "Vitamin Shoppe Lead in Vitamins".

I do admit I go to VS for their 3rd party brands because they are cheaper than GNC, but I will always choose the GNC house brand if thats a route I wanted to go.

I heard trader joes has a cheap greens supplement, which I'll try next.

Anybody know how much the Trader Joe's greens are? There's no Trader Joe's near me, but if it's inexpensive (and as good as folks say) it might be worth it to find somebody to pick me up a batch or two and send it to me. Greens+ is about $30p/mo and the Vitamin Shoppe greens is about $23p/mo.

Back