Anyone train at BJ Penn's gym in Hilo?

B-Z-M

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey does anyone train at BJ's place in Hilo? If so, who is the head BJJ instructor? What's the instruction/class schedule like?

thanks!

na, in the Renzo Doco, BJ said that he likes having instructor teaching BJJ instead of him teaching. but he said he is always at the gym and willing to help anyone.

I dropped in there one time during a trip to the Big Island. It was a Saturday morning class and Charuto was teaching. He's a really nice guy and great teacher. In fact, there were only 3 students there (a purple, a blue, and a white), so after working half guard passes we each rolled with Charuto for about 10-15 minutes. I learned a ton and had a blast.

The drop-in fee was kind of steep, if I remember correctly (maybe $20), but everyone there was super cool. BJ was out of town at the time (he had a fight coming up).

everywhere i go, $20 was the drop in rate that i usually see. What were you expecting?

I dropped in there one time during a trip to the Big Island. It was a Saturday morning class and Charuto was teaching. He's a really nice guy and great teacher. In fact, there were only 3 students there (a purple, a blue, and a white), so after working half guard passes we each rolled with Charuto for about 10-15 minutes. I learned a ton and had a blast.

The drop-in fee was kind of steep, if I remember correctly (maybe $20), but everyone there was super cool. BJ was out of town at the time (he had a fight coming up).

haha 20 bucks steep? it is 45 at my school!!!!!

Wow, that's pretty sweet. Charuto is very very good, and that class size is crazy.

45$ is crazy. 20-25 is understandable. for 45$ i better be getting my D*** sucked.

Never been to Annapolis but here in Chicago a quickie is usually $50 alone. That plus the BJJ drop in fee and your looking at 65-75 to train and get your D*** sucked.

Really not that bad of a deal imo.

Dude if you are close just drop in..... I'm sure all your questions will be answered then.... Don't be scared Homie... J/K, :icon_chee

I live in New Jersey, so I can't just drop in haha.

I'm thinking of going down there for a few months to train, so just trying to gather some info.

thanks for the help everyone

I haven't been there for a while so I can't comment who's teaching. It used to be Charuto or Jay. But go to their website and give the front desk a call. They'll be more than happy to set things up for you or just to give out more info.

Back