Anyone see Sherdog's "technique of the week"? Thoughts?

I liked how he isolated the arm. Never thought of pushing the legs away to create space. The technique itself looks good, I'm not a big fan of letting people turn to all fours for guilliotines/chokes/kimuras tho. If I don't get the submission I lose the position and have to start passing the guard all over again.

I liked how he isolated the arm. Never thought of pushing the legs away to create space.

Funny you mentioned that, because that is what got me excited about the video. Im also not sure about the actual move, but the side control clearing and whatnot i thought was interesting.

I like this a lot. I'll try it when my injuries heal up and I can go to class (or I'll try it on one of my friends when they come over :icon_twis)

The one thing I like to do, is where he has a grip on his thigh, I just like to walk around his head from there still holding my thigh. Works great and you don't just have your arm hanging there.

I like the move but there's a lot "to it." I tried to give it a go a couple days ago in class but I always forgot what I was supposed to do next (hey, I'm old, give me a break!) I'd need to watch this again...and again...and again, right before class and then try it again. If I isolate that arm and step over the head I usually just fall back for the arm bar. I'll keep looking for this though!

A bunch of techniques here, but they are all pretty standard and important. The hip switch/heist is my favorite way to isolate his arm in side control. In fact, I usually do a few of those to walk up the body... rarely does one switch work. It is important to keep your hips low and to pressure through your toes. I do NOT like lifting my hip up that much. It give him too much wiggle-room. Moving towards the legs is cool to open up space too, but I often end up working for mount instead (learned a really cool way to achieve the mount at Fifty/50 last year). You can combine the two ways to get higher on the person, of course.

I like to bring my knee even higher, over the crown of his head, as if in "side s-mount". I do that same way to isolate the arm, for the choke, but I often go to the north-south choke instead. That setup for the arm-triangle looks cool, though. I don't think you would give up position. You can time it to land back in side control or even take his back if he starts to escape.

Wow this video just taught me so many different things I can't even explain. I literally think that I can now start working from side control without people escaping as soon as I break my heavy reverse half grip.

Now I have a ton of questions, but I'll start with the most basic ones. How important is clearing that inner arm when working from side control? Do you always try to clear that before you break your grip to work a transition or sub?

Wow this video just taught me so many different things I can't even explain. I literally think that I can now start working from side control without people escaping as soon as I break my heavy reverse half grip.

Now I have a ton of questions, but I'll start with the most basic ones. How important is clearing that inner arm when working from side control? Do you always try to clear that before you break your grip to work a transition or sub?

I'll always attack it. Sometimes if they focus too much on keeping it pinned, I'll jump to knee-on-belly. Sometimes I'll jump up to KOB just to turn my shin 90 degrees and slide it over top of his arm, pinning it to the ground with my own bodyweight. Then step on his wrist with my other foot, switch directions of my free leg (so my shin is now pointed down towards his legs, pivot my "free" shin so my my knee in his armpit & foot (alive toes) is "gripping" his wrist, then I can use my other leg for some cool things. Robson Moura likes this setup.

I think it's very important, but most guys won't let you control their arm without putting up a fight. So I think it's good to also have options for when you can't control it, such as moving to north south, or switching your hips to face their legs.

Some nice details in that vid.

Are there any good video/DVD instructionals that concentrate on top positioning with things like transitions and islolating the arm?

Alliance teaches walking against the legs as well to clear the arm, works well!

I liked how he isolated the arm. Never thought of pushing the legs away to create space.

That is something I have always done without really thinking about it....he makes it look a LOT easeir than it really is!! Trust me if you are rolling with someone strong, its NOT that easy!!

Ryan Hall shows a similar method where he uses his cross-facing arm to bend the opponent's neck by pushing the crown of the head away with his biceps. I've had some success with this in sparring.

thanks for posting this link, I know it's on the front page but I missed this. It was a great technique I'll try it out this week.

I think that killing the arm lets focus more on your attack, but I think the first step is to get an underhook on the far side to flatten them out and break edge. I may be wrong, though.

Back