Anyone own Steve Scott's "Vital Leglocks" book?

Kforcer

Dragon Slayer
@Gold
Reaction score
I'm curious as to whether Vital Leglocks features any holds executed minus the gi or whether everything is leglocks in a gi-wearing situation.

Also, is Steve Scott...Sambo Steve?

I'm curious as to whether Vital Leglocks features any holds executed minus the gi or whether everything is leglocks in a gi-wearing situation.

Also, is Steve Scott...Sambo Steve?

no, Stephen Koepher is SamboSteve

but I haven't seen the book

I have the book. It is almost entirely no-gi leglocks.

Pretty good book.

I have the book. It is almost entirely no-gi leglocks.

Pretty good book.

So, is he wearing a gi for most of the book but applying leg-locks that don't require a gi? Because on the cover, I see him wearing a gi.

So, is he wearing a gi for most of the book but applying leg-locks that don't require a gi? Because on the cover, I see him wearing a gi.

generally for leglocks you don't really use the gi much anyway. if anything it kinda gets in the way. probably one reason why Sambo doesn't have pants

Zankou, give me some more details or we are not friends.

I've got it and most of the pics show Steve rolling in shorts and T-shirt.

Stephen Koepfer, btw.

The Steve Scott your speaking of teaches out of Welcome Mat Judo Club in the Kansas City area. (see sig for website). He also has a good series on bent and straight arm locks that is worth reveiwing.

He also teaches Sambo.

Zankou, give me some more details or we are not friends.

Sorry, was a bit busy this weekend. Yes, almost none of the techniques have any gi aspect whatsoever, and most of the pics in the book are nogi. There really isn't much "gi" aspect to leglocks anyways, as others have mentioned. Other than the "grab the collar" footlock defense, I don't really know of any significant difference in how you play footlocks with gi on.

Sorry, was a bit busy this weekend. Yes, almost none of the techniques have any gi aspect whatsoever, and most of the pics in the book are nogi. There really isn't much "gi" aspect to leglocks anyways, as others have mentioned. Other than the "grab the collar" footlock defense, I don't really know of any significant difference in how you play footlocks with gi on.

In leglock transitions, having or not having a gi-shirt makes a big difference...to me anyhow. With a gi-shirt on, rolling knee-bars, scissors and things of that nature have a different mechanic. Just like judo with or without the gi, I guess. I get a lot of mileage out of standing transitions to leglocks but I don't like watching too much sambo because they are doing the transitions while having a shirt to hold onto and for me at least, setting up the entrance to the transition is one of the biggest challenges.

Back