Anyone here of English descent?

Oceanmachine

Tidwell belt
Banned
Reaction score
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_people

English people are understated apparently in theory they should be the largest white ethnic group or 2nd in America.

All the Founders were English

But then massive waves of German immigrants later came

"""In the 2016 American Community Survey, English Americans were 7.4% of the United States population, behind the German Americans (13.9%) and Irish Americans (10.0%).[106] However, demographers regard this as a serious undercount, as the index of inconsistency[clarification needed] is high, and many, if not most, people from English stock have a tendency (since the introduction of a new 'American' category in the 2000 census) to identify as simply Americans[114][115][116][117] or if of mixed European ancestry, identify with a more recent and differentiated ethnic group.[118]

Prior to this, in the 2000 census, 24,509,692 Americans described their ancestry as wholly or partly English. In addition, 1,035,133 recorded British ancestry.[119] This was a numerical decrease from the census in 1990 where 32,651,788 people or 13.1% of the population self-identified with English ancestry.[120]

In 1980 over 49 million (49,598,035) Americans claimed English ancestry, at the time around 26.34% of the total population and largest reported group which, even today, would make them the largest ethnic group in the United States.[121] Scots-Irish Americans are descendants of Lowland Scots and Northern English (specifically: County Durham, Cumberland, Northumberland and Westmorland) settlers who colonised Ireland during the Plantation of Ulster in the 17th century.

Americans of English heritage are often seen, and identify, as simply "American" due to the many historic cultural ties between England and the U.S. and their influence on the country's population. Relative to ethnic groups of other European origins, this may be due to the early establishment of English settlements; as well as to non-English groups having emigrated in order to establish significant communities.[122]"""

Well I'm not American but I'm technically 1/2 Irish, 3/8's English, 1/16 German and 1/16 Scottish, if that helps.

Yeah, my genetic makeup is predominately British. A solid amount of German too.

I recently learned that I am of English descent. Which blew my mind, but isn't exactly crazy. Norwegian also, which I never would have guessed, and which I find pretty cool and suitable for the person I am.

75%
giphy.gif

Irish father German mother

I know a great English couple though. the one thing folks can't get past is the English dry humor, it simply isn't funny

Who would have thought if you were from England that you were English. I am shocked, shocked i tell you.

To answer your question. Yes.

I came here to say that I'm not english.

That's it, really.

Have a good night, everyone.

Last edited:
English, Scottish, Finnish, Swedish, Danish, Russian, Polish and Native American.

I know I'm forgetting one.

having met English people, I'm left with one question? how did you guys end up concurring half the world? The food was that bad and you had to get out for a bite?

My mother's family dates back mainly English from what we can see.

My father's side my great nan was Norwegian and Great grandad side went back to Cornwall in England back a long time.

So I'm English with a bit of Viking chucked in.

Mostly German from both sides of the family, though the largest amount of German family were living in Russia since Catherine the Great. I thought I had some English on my mom's side and my DNA test backed that up, but just yesterday in researching my dad's Ojibwe heritage, I discovered I had English family here since the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1641.

I always really appreciated the relationship the French had with the Ojibwe and resented the British, though I knew they eventually settled and made peace. It turns out my British great great great great grandpa traveled to DC with the chiefs to fight for land rights for the tribe before marrying in to the tribe shortly afterwards.

9999018093-l.jpg

Last edited:
Back