anyone have a tough time with omoplata?

JH34PG

White Belt
Reaction score
as i am fairly new to bjj with gi...im struggling with the omoplata. i make the triangle around the arm...sit up...

but just have a hard time completing it...any suggestions?

would need to see you do it to figure out exactly what your doing wrong. it kinda sounds like the problem is in the way your finishing it. assuming you've gotten everything else right the finish should be more like thrusting your hips forwards rather than reaching forwards for something.

obviously like all techniques theres lots of ways to finish it. but from the small amount of info you've given this would be my guess

as i am fairly new to bjj with gi...im struggling with the omoplata. i make the triangle around the arm...sit up...

but just have a hard time completing it...any suggestions?

Youtube it...
TBH this is a move that i can do pretty easily if i feel the opp (idk y) Just make sure when you move to bring you leg under his head watch he doesnt roll - it also has to be a quick and swift move - but when youve cleared his head and you have the arm triangled jus posture up and i use my arm to bring the arm up tho you can use just the leg and as you forcing ur opponents shoulder into the ground lift up.

Its hard to described as i with this move just go thru the motions - look at submissions 101 on youtube thats the best place imo

Make sure you get your hips high on his shoulder. Fail to do this and nothing else matters.

Youtube it...
TBH this is a move that i can do pretty easily if i feel the opp (idk y) Just make sure when you move to bring you leg under his head watch he doesnt roll - it also has to be a quick and swift move - but when youve cleared his head and you have the arm triangled jus posture up and i use my arm to bring the arm up tho you can use just the leg and as you forcing ur opponents shoulder into the ground lift up.

Its hard to described as i with this move just go thru the motions - look at submissions 101 on youtube thats the best place imo

Whoaaaa there! Step away from the keyboard son, nice and easy.

Make sure you get your hips high on his shoulder. Fail to do this and nothing else matters.

This. If you can lock it up but can't get up to sweep/finish you aren't using your hips. More specifically, you need to (upon locking up the figure 4) put your weight on your shoulders/neck and bridge STRAIGHT up to get your hips above their shoulder.

watch this

YouTube - Advanced Omo Plata Tutorial

as i am fairly new to bjj

There's your problem. Work on that and your omoplata will get better. Nothing is supposed to work when you're new.

Also you don't want to sit up with the legs already triangled. Not enough forward pressure.

How new are you? I'm surprised you're learning and working on the omoplata. Just train and work out the kinks.

Ask your instructor instead of YouTube. He can see details you are missing on your setup and finish. Along with give you advice in where you need more pressure/less pressures.

Videos cannot correct small details like a good instructor can.

A simple move is to grab the guys ribs the other side. Not so that your squeezing but just aiding you in sitting up which in turn puts pressure on.

I found that my omoplata got better when I had more options from there, such as spinning back for the triangle, a toe hold, the sweep, etc.

Something about not needing the finish allowed me to focus more on stabilizing the position and seeing what I was being given. As a result, more finishes.

i found success with hooking my ankle under the armpit rather than under the chin

I do no gi only and even if i watched a lot of vids and so, i found it difficult to finish.

I prefer to use it as a sweep and finish it with a toe hold.

I did a vid on this for a guy who asked me a couples of toe hold set-ups

It's in french, but i think you it's easy to figure. I dont give info on doing the omoplata, the video is about toe hold setup from different position. I give a lot of info on finishing the toe hold too, but like i said, it's in french.

YouTube - ToeHoldSetUp.mp4

an important detail my professor taught me was to use your legs/hips to put/push his shoulder on the ground and that you're on top of that shoulder before you sit up otherwise he'll roll out of it to escape or you won't have the angle to properly finish it. and use your arm nearest to him to grab his feet or control hip

Matt Serra's no-gi basics has an excellent explanation of the omoplata.
I liked Marcelo's Garcia's explanation in his no-gi series.
I also like David Camarillo's version of the omoplata (learned this from someone I train with but he said it was from a Camarillo vid).
I would not be surprised if you could find clips of this on youtube.

^^^ Matt Serra has a great omoplata and has used it well in high level competition.

Whoaaaa there! Step away from the keyboard son, nice and easy.

Y do u say that??? TBH i never learnt tha Omaplata from there. for sum reasin from the time it was done on me i figured out how to do it. I'm guesin from the bold you dont agree wid submissions 101, ive never used there stuff but at the time of my orig post thats all iknew of the top of my head, altho jus saying youtube omaplata woulda been better

Youtube it...

:icon_sad: this post makes baby jesus cry

No, my hips and flexibility make the omoplata my easiest submission and sweep. I tend to work from rubberguard (or trapping an arm on the mat) so I land a shit load of omoplatas.

Unfortunately I think its due to above average flexibility and a halfway decent guard...I dont have any extraordinary technique or anything. Its just one of those techniques that works for me and my style of BJJ.

Back