Anyone had screws removed from fracture???

synyster

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Im having screws taken out of my ankle, 6 of them on june 6th and im going to a Sambo seminar with Fedor on august 2nd.. anyone know about how long the healing process is, will I still be effected by the surgery a month and a half later??? I dont want to injury myself or miss this once and life time chance to train with Fedor.

Just playing the e-doctor here, but are you sure you really need to get them taken out? If they aren't a health risk and they don't cause any discomfort I wouldn't have them taken out. The chances of it getting infected or other complications happening don't really weigh up against the potential advantage of them being taken out.

they only hurt if something is pressing against the screws, but I dont know the doctor seemed to think infection was my only real risk, and recommended I remove them cause im young.

I fractured by left radius a few years back and still have the screws in my arm. At that time, I was told that unless I experienced any discomfort or other setbacks, that the screws would permanently remain in my arm.

I was thinking similar to you hagelslag, but I also said Id do what the doc said was best.

You'll be fine for light activity almost immediately... and most likely told to slowly ramp up your activity level over a period of 4-6 weeks.

I'd think you'll be fine to train as long as you do it intelligently and with consideration for your ankle.

ill still have the like 6" plate running along the bone so I dont think it should weaken that much

You'll be fine for light activity almost immediately... and most likely told to slowly ramp up your activity level over a period of 4-6 weeks.

I'd think you'll be fine to train as long as you do it intelligently and with consideration for your ankle.

thats what I wanted to hear lol.. Hopefully this is the case

What did you break in the ankle? I just broke mine last Sunday and have a CAT scan on it this morning to determine if I need surgery. How long was your recovery time after surgery?

What did you break in the ankle? I just broke mine last Sunday and have a CAT scan on it this morning to determine if I need surgery. How long was your recovery time after surgery?

I broke the smaller bone on the outside of the ankle I believe the tibia and not the fibia or the other way around if I am mixing them up..
It was just at the point that i actually needed the screws and plate put in.. 6 screws in total, the worst part for me was being stuck in the hospital for a couple days after surg with the damn IV in my arm for a solid 3 days.. they gotta keep you on a drip so you dont get infected...
I think I was in the cast for about 4 months, but once u switch to the air cast its not that bad at all.. overall id say it was about 6 months before i was jumping and running, pushing off the foot and what not.. Make sure you do physio after even if the doctor that operates on you says you dnt need it.. take it slow dont push it..

its as good as its gonna get at this point I think for me.. about a year later iv lost abit of balance on that foot and managed to keep about 90% of my range of motion.. overall id say its about 90-95% as good as it was before which i am happy with, overall its just a slightly annoying at times.. hope that helps answer some of ur questions

^shit now I'm really hoping for no surgery. I'm gonna go crazy if I'm off work and can't do a damn thing for that long.

Got the same injury with screws and plate. 3 years later and it's still in there. Would like to have it removed but I don't want to pay for the surgery and deal with the rehab. The ankle doesn't have the same spring and mobility in it, and when I get up in the morning it kinda hurts to walk on till it warms up.

I still train a couple times a week though and works just fine. Not what it was though.

Got the same injury with screws and plate. 3 years later and it's still in there. Would like to have it removed but I don't want to pay for the surgery and deal with the rehab. The ankle doesn't have the same spring and mobility in it, and when I get up in the morning it kinda hurts to walk on till it warms up.

I still train a couple times a week though and works just fine. Not what it was though.

ya i sounds similar to me, i gotta work it in every morning almost

Back