Anyone got any advice about helping me switch to Southpaw?

Cory Marshall said:
Try out the SouthPaw stance and train that way for a week or so and see how it feels.. If it feels ok, or you even think you can get used to it than keep going with it.. If not, fight your natural way. I am naturally SouthPaw so that is the way I prefer to fight. I would say being SouthPaw gives you a little bit of an advantage when it comes to striking to a certain extent

I agree, thanks

Well damn man, you sound like you're on the right track definatly. How long have you been training?

I just graduated a couple of years ago, I played the usual in High School BAseball, football, I was about six when I started watching UFC, eventually my interest faded until my best friends brother fought in UFC 42, I then became a fan, but I still played other shit in High School. I played college baseball for one year, I really wanted to play football but Im not big enough, I got sick of baseball and said this is what I want to do, so Im giving it a shot. I would say Ive been training seriously for about 6 months now, for someone who trains as much as I do im not very good, most of the people I train with are bigger and more experienced so I I improve faster than them because I have to improve to keep up. I kill everyone around my age and do well in Grappling tournaments. Im going to start having kickboxing matches by summer, that should give me plenty of time. I did Kenpo from 6 to 16 and wrestled when I was young. w/o them I would really suck. I do jiu-jitsu three to four times a week, but I really slack on lifting. Which is bad. Im not that bad I just see how far I have to go because their are some animals in my place

Sorry I didnt respond to you sooner I was pulled away from my computer.

I learned the same way (boxing). I was the small one training with a bunch of golden gloves guys, so I got stomped on a LOT. You have to improve or get left behind, so I know what you mean. It seperates the guys with heart from the guys thatdont belong though that's for sure. I was a very good boxer, but when I made the jump to mma I wasn't very good at all. I couldn't afford the training to improve my ground game enough to be a threat. I don't fight now, but I've been thinking about it, my financial situation has greatly improved so maybe. Good luck again though, and try the basketball thing, and also throwing tennis balls lefty, stupid little things like that help out a LOT. They did for me anyway. Keep training hard bro, with your dedication, you'll get where you need to be

When you get your ass beat like us by bigger, stronger, more technical people it tests your true character, and Im sure you have it. Maybe instead of trying to master jiu-jitsu, work instead on your wrestling, Chuck Liddell put head gear on the best wrestlers he knew and paid them twenty dollars for every takedown they scored against him, evntually Five guys would walk out of his gym 2 hours later with a combined fourty bucks. Maybe if you crouch your stance more it will help you better defend takedowns and maybe even increase your power due to possible extra hip rotation. If you are not confident in your ground game and have fear of being taken down you cant truly commit to your punches and punch with the intent to injure like you as an excellent normally would in a boxing ring. Once you get your takedown defense, Im sure you will get it, no one can stop a determined man. If you get a good defensive guard like bang Ludwig you will not fear being on your back and you will be KOing people like crazy. Good Luck and thank you for the advice, Im defitely going to listen and maybe even try to shoot the basketball lefty. I hope you make a comeback, let me know how training is going. Ill see you in other threads, Im going to add you to my budddy list if thats ok, good luck and thank you again, I really appreciate it your help

im right handed but fight southpaw, just so i have a better jab and lead hook. but im right legged when i kick, so my kicks are pretty bad unless i do a quick switch

crooked said:
im right handed but fight southpaw, just so i have a better jab and lead hook. but im right legged when i kick, so my kicks are pretty bad unless i do a quick switch

Thanks man, good to know others can do it

Cool man, I added you to mine also, I'm actually going to attempt to make contact with seth petruzzeli, my ex grew up with him, and see where he trains and try to get in there. Wrestling is the way I was leaning also versus bjj as I do have very limited experience with it, and it fits my style better. Thanks for the advice also, and keep me updated on your training as well bro, good talking to you

I heard he trains wit Gracie Barra Florida or something like that

you should be comfortable with being both orthodox and southpaw, then you'd be unstoppable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back