Anyone from Melbourne on here I need your help

paddy_da_pikey

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hello, I have recently arrived on my travels in Melbourne. I searched BJJ clubs and found one in the Richmond area where I currently live called Dominace MMA, very professional facilities, good location and good trainers - seems legit

Except one problem!!

I called them up after searching through others having already made my mind up that I wanted to train there. I called and the girl answered the phone I said hello can you help me out I'd like to know a bit more about the pricing options, weekly or monthly and what classes they cover etc. I genuinely just needed the prices so I could work out based on how often I'd be training (2 to 4 times a week mix of gi and no gi) well aside from being exceptionally patronising the girl point blank refused to tell me saying I would have to come down to the gym face to face, I explained I don't need to be sold to iv already researched the website and saw reviews that its a good place to train. Long story short she insulted me for asking the price and essentially told me if I didn't come down for a face to face then she wasn't going to give me the price as I "wasn't a sold prospect" she actually referred to me in those terms.

I couldn't believe she just wouldn't tell me the price or give me options or I'd have signed up there in then within reason to be training this week but she ushered me off the call like I was the time waster.

So my questions to anyone in the know withinh the Melbourne BJJ / MMA scene..

1) does dominance MMA have a good reputation as a gym?
2) how much does it cost on average to train there?
3)does dominance have a reputation of being a corporate not training sport emvironment or did I have an unlucky experience?

Finally can anyone recommend somewhere else to train BJJ that is reputable in Melbourne and have an idea of coatings etc?

Any help appreciated as that girl totally burst my bubble for joining the gym and put me off dominance mma altogether even though its probably very good she just made it seem so elitist, corporate and pretentious like its more about profit margins than spreading the teachings if martial arts

Rant over

I never quite understood why gyms refuse to make their membership options available publicly, but it's quite common for them to take this approach.

I've nothing really to add mate, except that the next gym you call will probably take the same stance.

Sorry to hear about your experience mate. My best advice would be to go for a free trial at the clubs you've shortlisted. That way you'll have first hand experience on the training style and environment. Please do give Nova Uni

Sorry to hear about your experience mate. My best advice would be to go for a free trial at the clubs you've shortlisted. That way you'll have first hand experience on the training style and environment. Please do give Nova Uni

Go train with Kit Dale at Check Mat.

Yea CIA Paulista is a great school man. Lots of good guys train there. Carlos is a great teacher and a beast on the mat.

most gyms don't advertise prices and won't offer prices over the phone.

Try Peter De Been jiujitsu in St Kilda they have more jiujitsu classes then any gym in australia and lots of good guys to train with , also a ton of affiliate schools which you can train at.

CIA Pauliata!! Didn't see them on the google search, I trained in Northern Ireland under one of their black belts Sebastio Torres.

Where are these two gyms based and how much you pay for nova uniao? That's a great lineage in that gym

I am based in Perth and I train under a Nova Uni

Hi, I thought I would just jump in here to offer my thoughts. Firstly I have been training at Dominance MMA for almost 10 years and I have nothing but awesome things to say about DMMA, the level of training and the culture at the club. Awesome instruction and friendly training partners.

Not sure who you spoke to, but if you spoke to Pam at the front desk, I am really surprised at you finding her rude. She is generally a really friendly girl! I can only offer that perhaps there was a misunderstanding or miscommunication and she was trying to get you to come down for a no-obligation session to just ensure that the training is as you were expecting, etc.

In any case, I thought I should answer your questions:

1. The reputation of DMMA is very good, both in terms of student technical skills (competition prowess) and club culture. I'm a purple belt and the standard of white's and blues coming through is extremely high. I'd wager the standard there is as good as anywhere in Melbourne. You know if you've graded to a certain level you have earned it. There is also no pressure to compete, so if that's not your thing and just want to train, that's ok too! Everyone's there to help each other.

2. Dont know exactly, its different depending on the options you take (BJJ/Wrestling/MT/MMA,etc) but I reckon anywhere from $120-150 per month for as much training as you want.

3. I think you might have just had an unlucky experience. I say get down to the mat, speak to Little Dave or Pam and talk through your goals or just jump in on a class. I can certainly vouch for DMMA as a great club to be a part of.

Any more questions, I'd be happy to answer

Cheers,

Absolute MMA run by thiago is just up the road from richmond. Another good option that is probably worth checking out.

Carlson Gracie Team is a good option.

graciejiujitsu.com.au

Prices and schedule are listed on the website.

Located in Windsor just off Chapel St. Friendly atmosphere and a bunch of good guys to train with.

Hi Paddy,

I am the owner off Dominance. I am surprised to hear your experience with Pami as she generally awesome. So firstly my apologies your experience was poor.

The main reason we want people to come in the academy is about culture. We want you to be sure it is the right place for you and just as importantly we want to be sure you fit the team here. We can only really establish this in person, hence the free trial.

Money is not a big issue at all. It is about culture. The team is strong and we want to be sure everyone has a positive experience every time they step on the mat.

PM me and I will be happy to answer any questions you have about Dominance myself. Good people are always welcome :)

Dave Hart
DMMA

Hi Paddy,

I am the owner off Dominance. I am surprised to hear your experience with Pami as she generally awesome. So firstly my apologies your experience was poor.

The main reason we want people to come in the academy is about culture. We want you to be sure it is the right place for you and just as importantly we want to be sure you fit the team here. We can only really establish this in person, hence the free trial.

Money is not a big issue at all. It is about culture. The team is strong and we want to be sure everyone has a positive experience every time they step on the mat.

PM me and I will be happy to answer any questions you have about Dominance myself. Good people are always welcome :)

Dave Hart
DMMA

props to Dave for responding to this and for the way it's been handled, good to see.

Back