• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Anyone ever get out of a nightmare job?

I have the same mindset as RSmith47. I understand the other poster when he says sometimes deadlines MUST be met, not saying he's wrong. But I think more people would be happy if they relaxed a little bit. Worry is a misapplication of imagination. Just relax, do the best you can, be honest and truthful, and breath. You'll be happier.

hell yeah, worked as a busboy at some shitty japanese steak house the ones where they cook in front of you and what not. literally only had 2 japanese workers and none of them were chefs. roaches everywhere, alot of under the table paying, fucking horrible tips, and just an all around shitty environment, as well as most co workers were losers too.

Yeah, makes sense. I guess that is why most of the good people have left my place. Only good people left are the ones who are on the old pension system. The workers who suck the boss' dick the most get great raises, and never are in trouble. They could just fire the BJers and give the good people parts of their salary. Would save money and make the producers happier

you leave a terrible place?

Absolutely. I don't think you can honestly go through life and not experience it in your working career. Last job I had they used to have the 10 commandments of effective customer service. The problem was, they used to flash them up on massive flat screen tvs throughout the office all day. I called it brainwash tv. Perception was everything, reality was nothing.

I got called out in a performance review for taking on too much work once by a stupid manager. One of the 10 commandments was to go above and beyond and raise the bar. I guess they meant that was OK until you started showing other people up with your productivity output.

Just did what any normal, rational person would do. Realised it was time to move and and did so.

This was the biggest investment bank in Australia, so you can figure out where I worked pretty easily. Advancement through tenure was ridiculous there. I called it the War of Attrition.

I would have no problem taking a small pay cut to find a job I'd enjoy.

Did that in January. I was working for an animation company for 5 years, great benefits, salary etc.

I got bored & jumped ship. Took a lower salary because I thought I'm going to like my new job. Wrong. I already submitted my resignation & will be out on 30.

I just don't understand management. If you have good employees, take care of them! My supervisor has done nothing in the way of taking care of me. In fact, he and his manager have been hooking up the mailroom guy with bonuses, who is the manager's neighbor. The mailroom guy is super lazy, and just terrible.

Anyhow, like at your place, why not give you a raise and treat you well? That way your boss can dick around, and not worry about anything, since you have it covered. I guess that your boss blew all the comp on his buddy's instead. I am amazed at how a worker can basically just BJ a boss via talking, and basically not have to do anything else.

You hit on a couple of key points. Like you, at my last job most of the bonuses and compensation were going to the same people over and over again because they had prior work relationships with the powers that be.

It seemed so blatantly clear that the writing was on the wall so I decided to look elsewhere, I just couldn't believe how delusional some of my coworkers were.

Absolutely. I don't think you can honestly go through life and not experience it in your working career. Last job I had they used to have the 10 commandments of effective customer service. The problem was, they used to flash them up on massive flat screen tvs throughout the office all day. I called it brainwash tv. Perception was everything, reality was nothing.

I got called out in a performance review for taking on too much work once by a stupid manager. One of the 10 commandments was to go above and beyond and raise the bar. I guess they meant that was OK until you started showing other people up with your productivity output.

Just did what any normal, rational person would do. Realised it was time to move and and did so.

This was the biggest investment bank in Australia, so you can figure out where I worked pretty easily. Advancement through tenure was ridiculous there. I called it the War of Attrition.

Ludovico-technique-being-administered-to-Alex-A-Clockwork-Orange-Film.jpg

Advancement through tenure is very real and unfortunate as the last man standing is usually the dumbest. All the good people saw the writing on the wall and got the hell out of there.

This x 100

Fucking right!

I've given notice before and the company just walked me, paying out my last two weeks. But I almost prefer working those last two weeks and just fucking the dog because no one says shit to you. When I quit my last job I fucking savoured those last two weeks, it was fun watching them scramble to find a replacement. And yeah I know that sounds petty but part of the reason why I quit was because they refused to train a back up person to support me when I was sick or on vacation. Had they done that, they would have had someone to fill in when I quit.

Amen to that. The owner started fucking w/ my vacation time so my 2 weeks became 2 days lol and then they had to fly in some support guy from Chicago to help fix the system that I was their only internal support for. Fuck them haha

worked in a sandwich shop for some jackass when I was in college. The guy would constantly talk down to me, and his other employees, so one day I got tired of his shit and had my roommate call in an order for about $300 worth of party trays to a call center that regularly made large orders of that size and walked out. That stupid SOB made all those treys himself only to have nobody pick them up. This was before everyone had cell phones, so he called and left a 2 minute message about how worthless I was, and how I would never work in said town again. He even called me a pussy and threatened to kick my ass If came back to get my last paycheck. The dude was like 60 LOL. I invited a chick that still worked for this asshole over to my place, and We got stoned and listened to the message over and over while laughing our asses off...............good times

Amen to that. The owner started fucking w/ my vacation time so my 2 weeks became 2 days lol and then they had to fly in some support guy from Chicago to help fix the system that I was their only internal support for. Fuck them haha

My company tried to pull the whole "if you don't take vacation you lose it" deal which is illegal.

My company tried to pull the whole "if you don't take vacation you lose it" deal which is illegal.

Had that conversation with a slightly different tone:

Manager: your leave balance is high
Me: It is within company policy guidelines
Manager: what plans do you have to reduce it?
Me: None at this stage
Manager: well if that is the case we may be forced to send you on leave at the time of our choosing.
Me: I would like to see you try that because I am pretty sure that is illegal.

suffice to say I did not go on leave. I was actually saving it up for my resignation:icon_lol:

Had that conversation with a slightly different tone:

Manager: your leave balance is high
Me: It is within company policy guidelines
Manager: what plans do you have to reduce it?
Me: None at this stage
Manager: well if that is the case we may be forced to send you on leave at the time of our choosing.
Me: I would like to see you try that because I am pretty sure that is illegal.

suffice to say I did not go on leave. I was actually saving it up for my resignation:icon_lol:

An ok. It differs by province here in canada. But I do believe that in Alberta, if an employee fails to take their allotted vacation time, the employer is actually obligated to schedule it for them.

For other provinces, should an employee fail to take vacation the employer must pay it out at the end of the calendar year. Some employers allow vacation time to be carried forward to the next year etc etc

In my employers case they were actually threatening to "steal" wages owing from us by saying "you have to take it or lose it."

worked in a sandwich shop for some jackass when I was in college. The guy would constantly talk down to me, and his other employees, so one day I got tired of his shit and had my roommate call in an order for about $300 worth of party trays to a call center that regularly made large orders of that size and walked out. That stupid SOB made all those treys himself only to have nobody pick them up. This was before everyone had cell phones, so he called and left a 2 minute message about how worthless I was, and how I would never work in said town again. He even called me a pussy and threatened to kick my ass If came back to get my last paycheck. The dude was like 60 LOL. I invited a chick that still worked for this asshole over to my place, and We got stoned and listened to the message over and over while laughing our asses off...............good times
haha dude thats awsome, so simple but yet brilliant.

holy crap that was hilarious!

I bet its better than sex.

But for reals I am kinda on a natural high. Pumped even. Wondering what the idiot boss of mine will say/do.

Agreed!

I just quit a shitty job 3 weeks ago, started my new, much better job 2 weeks ago.

Everyone's reaction when I said I was leaving was priceless. The head of the company could not believe it..

To TS: this should be inspirational for you.

I was super over qualified for the job I was working. I basically got that job shortly after my first round of college didn't work out, and I quickly fell into the trap of thinking I could build my career and future there.

After a few years of not moving as fast as I wanted to, I decided to go back and get my Bachelor's of Science in Business. about halfway through my studies I applied for two promotions, and it was when I was denied it that I fully realized what a corrupt and shitty company it actually was. I don't want to get into all the details but let me put it this way: they told me I was "too laid back". The guy they hired for one of those jobs was way more laid back I could ever dream of. He didn't want to actually do any work. He missed meetings. He was scared of disciplining people. It took months to whip him into shape. The other guy left the company shortly after he got the role.

I eventually moved to another department, with the promise that I was going to keep my title as supervisor and help them streamline operations: they even went as far as to tell me that I would be the front runner for a management role when the new store opens.

That was in 2008. What they essentially did when I moved departments is demote me. They already had supervisors in the department, and they weren't going to teach me anything or help me further my career at all. For years, I did grunt work. In mid 2010, I finally got my B.S. in Business, but I stuck around for the 2010 holidays because of all the overtime that was available. Early 2011 I began my job hunt.

I took a lot of shit but I remained patient and hopeful. The job I have now is the kind of job I always wanted, and they are paying me exactly what I asked for. In the end, things could not have worked out better for me.

My advice to TS: always remember what you are worth and do not settle for less.

Also, watch The Shawshank Redemption when you get the chance.

I work in a complaints department for a major bank. It used to be ok before it became so regulated. I used to enjoy tailoring my response letters but now it is so scripted and scrutinised it has taken all the joy out of writing a good letter.

I want to leave but as the company is now up for sale I am trapped into hoping for redundancy sometime soon.

I can't call it a "nightmare job" per say.. But. .

I was a corporate recruiter for about 12 years.. I worked on commission. I had some pretty large clients, and made a great living. I usually was about 50K a year, and one year cleared 90K.. Even won Employee of the Year for the 20 person office I worked in. Well, when the economy started to tank towards the end of 2007, that well really dried up.

It was getting really stressful knowing you worked on commission and weren't bringing anything in.. I suffered a bout of insomnia so bad, I had mild dementia for a short time. Literally cracking up laughing our of no where, or saying something completely off key... Making work even harder, as you could imagine.

Now I'm a bartender. I make shit for money, but I don't have any stress really.. Dealing with assholes is the biggest problem I have now, but it comes easy to me to be an asshole right back to them. I sleep like a baby now too.

Let's hear your story. I need some motivation.

I hate my job, but need the money. I have a decent resume, but things are tough I guess. Sometimes it just seems like there's no way out. Someone give me a motivational story.

I was an Emergency Medical Technician in New Orleans and got shot at about a dozen times for simply doing my job trying to save someone's life. I moved to the Midwest and became a registered nurse. Now I am going back to school to get my Doctor of Nursing Practice/nurse practitioner license and couldn't be happier.

Agreed!

I just quit a shitty job 3 weeks ago, started my new, much better job 2 weeks ago.

Everyone's reaction when I said I was leaving was priceless. The head of the company could not believe it..

At my previous job I was waiting for some paperwork to clear on my new job before I told my boss. As luck would have it, I got the go ahead on the day I was supposed to have my yearly evaluation. When I told him I had found a new job that morning the color drained out of his face, and he said, "well I guess we don't need to have a review." I think I actually let him off the hook of having to tell me there'd be no raises for the 3rd year in a row.

But it was awesome to see his expression. It was also awesome to tell him that I'd be making more than double what he was paying me when he asked the reason for me leaving .

I can give you all a good job, send me private message :)

Back