1. The Sherdog Forums are currently experiencing technical difficulties, and we are working on it. We apologize for the inconvenience.

anyone else notice JDS fail in deep half?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by 10thplanetbjj, Dec 30, 2012.

1. 10thplanetbjj

10thplanetbjj Blue Belt

I was really shocked JDS managed to get a decent deep half position on cain. I don't think cain excepted that at all but jds had ZERO control of the leg and got out. He had so many options from there. Knee bar, toe hold (not saying i'd go for that since im sure its already slippery) but still hes gotta control the leg to even get a sweep working. Kind of a fail for a BJJ black belt. It almost looked like he was trying to grab a gi grip that wasn't there.

This is what i mean

[​IMG]

Could have done something like this. I get this all this time on much better guys just because they are totally unfamiliar with the position or sweep and i doubt a wrestler non bjj based fighter like cain would either. and before some keyboard tough guys get all butthurt im not saying id be able to do it in an mma fight, but its the same as gsp messing up a basic armbar or kimura on hardy.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. Grapplingwizard**

Grapplingwizard** Banned Banned

When you have been rocked several times, taken down, gassed over all, and grappling when strikes are involved, it's a lot easier said than fucking done. especially against a beast like Cain velasquez. It wasn't a fail at all, just a good attempt. If you can do it, go to AKA and do an mma sparring session with cain. I'm sure you will be in for a big surprise. He is also good at bjj, as he is a brown belt under dave camarillo.

3. Chuck Bass**

Chuck Bass** Banned Banned

Most brown belts wouldve got the RNC

4. snoop dogg***

snoop dogg*** Baby Heath goon$quad

I wonder how popovitch would do in mma...

5. 10thplanetbjj

10thplanetbjj Blue Belt

yes because he was eating bombs all day and punching him in that position. stfu.

6. Grapplingwizard**

He uses it more for sub defense and guard passing. As a life long wrestler, he feels more comfortable getting wrist control and an iowa leg ride. Also as a heavy weight he could easily lose position if he tried to throw hooks in.

7. 10thplanetbjj

10thplanetbjj Blue Belt

he actually has 1 fight. not filmed either. seen some pics, just doubles some guy and ground and pounds. i dont think he likes getting punched though, cause his style would be perfect for mma and hes training every else except striking all the time.

8. snoop dogg***

snoop dogg*** Baby Heath goon$quad

whered you see the pics?
    yeah i thought the same thing.. him and rodolfo would do good. I just found out xande has like 3 fights under him

9. MonkeyNuts!

MonkeyNuts! Rear Naked Poker

hahahhaahah so serious

10. Grapplingwizard**

He ate a huge punch in the first round. You probably don't know what its like to be rocked by a guy with a lot of power. A ufc title fight is a lot different from rolling at 70% in the gym with no strikes involved. You are fucking retarded.

11. RawDawgBob

RawDawgBob Like's; 100,000,000,000.69

That was a beatdown, i dint think it would have went that way

12. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Man I usually don't make it personal, but you're so full of shit on that one. I was shocked he was able to get a sweep going in the first place. The dude was exhausted, beaten up, and mostly in survival mode. And you are gonna criticize him for what, not going for the particular offensive move you want him to? I swear, someone gets his blue belt and suddenly he's an armchair quarterback on every grappling scenario. Guess what, JDS was actually working a legit sweep (the one where the guy steps over and you follow him up to his back), and the fact is that Cain defended properly, maintained his base, and was able to stay a step and a half ahead in the sequence because he had more left in the tank. But to knock him and insult his abilities because he didn't control the leg enough at a point in the fight where he could barely stand up, is just stupid.

13. chunglii

chunglii No Me Duele Staff Member Senior Moderator

Well said Rambo

14. trustdoesntrust

trustdoesntrust Purple Belt

All this plus JDS almost certainly gameplanned to use his jiu-jitsu to get back to his feet (which he repeatedly did against a highly skilled top control wrestler). If there's a next fight, his camp will certainly recognize the amount of space he was able to create on the ground and maybe change tactics.

15. Chute Stomp

Chute Stomp Brown Belt

He was a zombie by the time he tried this. He looked pretty confident on the ground I thought.

16. FIGHTING TALK

FIGHTING TALK Brown Belt

"Grapplers" with zero pro MMA experience need to stop posting about how the likes of JDS, Bocek, Condit etc should have done this or that or the other in a pro MMA fight.

Most of you idiots picking apart the grappling prowess of these world class pros have never even grappled bare chested. Much less with strikes. Much less with GNP. Much less against world class athletes.

Leave this shit in the heavies where it belongs.

17. ozyabbas

ozyabbas Purple Belt

Cains BJJ coach is Leandro Vieira and apparently he brought in Leo and perhaps Ricardo Vieira to also prepare Cain for this match.

I would of been surprised if he could of pulled anything off in the state JDS was in.

18. randomg1t

randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

cain would be unfamiliar with it? cain velasquez, the hw champ who happens to be a brownbelt would be unfamiliar with a technique you know? and lol at you smarting on GSP's armbar and kimura attempts. he didn't mess those up, if he was fighting joe shmoe from your gym that arm would've been torn to shreds. but hardy has jelly joints, is tougher than hell and defended it to a certain degree.

please, don't start shit talking threads ever again. in fact, you should lay off posting for a little while.

19. QTdd**

QTdd** Green Belt

Get punched by Cain about 100 times in 5 minutes and get back at me.

20. Hellboy31

Hellboy31 Brown Belt

This times a million. Well said