• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone Else Just Feel Old Tonight?

I was happy to see Glover rebound and be competitive in the 5th. Yeah, he wasn't competitive in the overall fight but at least the final round of his career he was competitive despite being battered and beaten.

When you see all the fighters you grew up with get old, beat up, and retire, you take a moment and realize that you're not young anymore either.

And no, it's not just about fighting, but when you realize that there's a new generation of people entering their prime years, you realize that you're no longer in yours.

Getting old sucks, but the worst part is that no one young understands what an advantage they have and also you find yourself looking back a lot and asking, "Where did all the time go?"

I swear it was just yesterday that Shogun and Machida had an epic (but respectful) rivalry and Shogun was the first man to beat Machida and became UFC LHW champion. It was just yesterday that Glover made his long awaited UFC debut and Chuck passed the torch to him.

Shogun and Glover retiring on the same night, a beautiful look back at Jose Aldo's career as they break the news that he'll be in the HoF. Royce Gracie in the crowd. It's all got me asking, "Where did all the time go, Sherbros?"

I don't know who will actually read all this, but I'm feeling it tonight. Please mods, don't move this for whatever reason. I need to hear from my Sherbros tonight.

I realize i am old every time i wake up! :D

Alittle. I just turned 38 and I am older than what, 95% of the fighters who fought last night (Glover and Shogun).

Getting old sucks. The biggest reality check is in sports and athletics. I was always a good athlete growing up, played multiple sports well, and could play them all day long. Now? Skills have definitely diminished, cardio/energy is down significantly (and I'm in good shape). I've definitely "lost a step" as they say

not just tonight. i feel that way most of the time now, if not all of it.

been feeling it brother.

when I was 21 on the mats I never understood it. thought it was a mentality thing.

now that i'm 35 and work the american dream with a family, house, job, dogs that need walking, etc. I feel old every day. energy is a finite resource

I certainly felt old during the walkouts, when I looked up Shogun's age, and I'm 5 years older than him.

are we just using this thread to vent? I'm still in prime years but full of injuries. Not that it matters to any of us whether we're too old or not, we're not pro MMA fighters so we just can enjoy lighter training without worrying about having to face the next Jon Jones at the gym.

When you see all the fighters you grew up with get old, beat up, and retire, you take a moment and realize that you're not young anymore either.

And no, it's not just about fighting, but when you realize that there's a new generation of people entering their prime years, you realize that you're no longer in yours.

Getting old sucks, but the worst part is that no one young understands what an advantage they have and also you find yourself looking back a lot and asking, "Where did all the time go?"

I swear it was just yesterday that Shogun and Machida had an epic (but respectful) rivalry and Shogun was the first man to beat Machida and became UFC LHW champion. It was just yesterday that Glover made his long awaited UFC debut and Chuck passed the torch to him.

Shogun and Glover retiring on the same night, a beautiful look back at Jose Aldo's career as they break the news that he'll be in the HoF. Royce Gracie in the crowd. It's all got me asking, "Where did all the time go, Sherbros?"

I don't know who will actually read all this, but I'm feeling it tonight. Please mods, don't move this for whatever reason. I need to hear from my Sherbros tonight.

Most people don't really have to worry about maintaining peak physical performance. Looking at an athlete's decline is sad, at times, but it doesn't really reflect on most of us, many will feel themselves more "useful" in their 40s and 50s due to accumulated wisdom.

Alittle. I just turned 38 and I am older than what, 95% of the fighters who fought last night (Glover and Shogun).

Getting old sucks. The biggest reality check is in sports and athletics. I was always a good athlete growing up, played multiple sports well, and could play them all day long. Now? Skills have definitely diminished, cardio/energy is down significantly (and I'm in good shape). I've definitely "lost a step" as they say

It is sad to see legends go. But they have love, respect, money and a dream life behind.
I don't feel sorry for them, they did great, reached their DREAMs , they are written in the history books.

I was training hard in my 20s and early 30s and was wathing UFC closely and it was emotional.
Now, i am 40 and actually pre fight build up, politics and psychological aspects interest me more than just seeing em bang.

WHO says we are young till 45 yo.
As for us, most of us are not pro athletes.. i also feel loosing a bit of a step, but with a healthy lifestlyle,
modern medicine and training smart ( maybe mild TRT), men can be active and in great shape in 40s, 50s, 60s.
You can play sports for fun and train MA lightly - light sparring or BJJ and feel great.

The main problem in the 40s starts for party animals, alcohol and substance abusers, who led a stupid TST driven lifestyle. Junk foods, parties, etc.Bodies start to fall apart, but it's never too late to clean your act and treat your body, mind and soul right.

As MEN, we need PURPOSE.
And we need to EVOLVE and LEARN.

Yes, we are not young guns after 40s, but i believe man's prime is 40-65 yo.
Wisdom+smarts + experience. Do sth good for your family, society, the world.
After that, you can become a monk and serve higher purpose.

every night.

I coach boxing and my top prospects are all 20 years younger than me. It’s insane. Men are just boys who shave and I’m still a kid at heart but holy god do they make me feel old

Ive trained most of my life and turn 44 this year.

I still grapple nogi weekly and ride/wrestle my dirt bike every Sunday.

Im sore from the injuries through the years but I am in very fine tune with myself these days and make sure I get plenty of rest on work nights.

Good sleep is critical.

I paid to view ufc 1 live. I feel older every damn day.

Yes I’m old.
Yes I’m grumpy and tired
Yes, this generation is soft
Would never want to be young in this day and age

young people that don’t return shopping carts to front of store are lazy POS. Just saying

In my time watching this sport I've literally watched like 3 or 4 eras of my favorite fighters get old and fall off. It keeps repeating. When Jon Jones went on his initial lhw run and destroyed all my favorite fighters of yesteryear that hurt. When Anderson started losing. Brock beating the old guard. Is normal my guy.

we all are one..... I just have this awareness and you got yours. I see this world as one entity and this human life is one short roleplay.

Last edited:

There's a physical prime, but if you take care of you, intellectually, and probably spiritually, if you indulge in philosophy for example, then it could be actually a lot easier to get old. Don't let yourself become a sad old man my friend

Back