Anyone competing at Grapplers Quest this weekend in NJ?

anthony27

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It will be my first tourney so i'm pumped for it. Curious is it possible to compete in the Blue belt div if i'm a one stipe white belt but i just never get promoted for some reason probably cause i'm always hurt and when i do roll i make it a point to not dominate people i just let people get stuff and try to get out. I'm just trying to guage what to expect when i get there. I'm going adv. no-gi too. (because of my wrestling exp.) So should i just wear a blue belt. Don't want to piss off my school some of my instructors will be there. Any thoughts? Anyone else competing wanna give a shout?

no offence but youre going to get destroyed in advanced nogi if youre only a whitebelt/bluebelt level...

I see no problem with going to blue tho

dildoo~baggins said:
no offence but youre going to get destroyed in advanced nogi if youre only a whitebelt/bluebelt level...

i know of white and blue belts that compete in advanced no gi and do ok (they all do have a wrestling background though)

A guy from Mario Yamasaki's Academy here in Rockville is making the trek to compete up there.

Damn I was hoping on doing the teen division but something came up. Fucking shit.

This will be the first east coast Grapplers Quest that I will miss in about 5 years. :icon_cry2

I have some family commitments on Saturday.

dildoo~baggins said:

there had to be one genius to point this out...thanks for not answering my question...I wasn't asking should I. I was asking if they'd let me go blue since i'm a white belt otherwise i'd roll with purples in bjj but i'm thinking they're def not letting a white belt do that. Nevermnd... i'll just find out on saturday.

you can enter the blue belt division as a white belt. im pretty sure of it. dont put on a blue belt, wear your white.

Just make sure you doublecheck with your instructor first.

If you go blue in this GQ, then you will have to go blue (or higher) in all subsequent GQs. You can't go back down to white for the next tourny even if you lose your first fight in this one.

I see your point but i'm not confused about what division i want to compete in i'm just trying to figure out how I go about registering for my desired divisions since i'm white and i want to go blue. Being that this is my first tourney the answer isn't as obvious to me. Someone was nice enough to answer this question for me so now i'm ready to go for tomorrow.

If you ask any good instructor and what division they should compete in they should give a conservative answer. By asking it means that you are not sure. If the person already knows where they want to compete and know they're challenging themselves then that's good and there's no need to ask anybody. Just got to ask yourself.

it should be tough. I'm looking forward to it.

anthony27 said:
there had to be one genius to point this out...thanks for not answering my question...I wasn't asking should I. I was asking if they'd let me go blue since i'm a white belt otherwise i'd roll with purples in bjj but i'm thinking they're def not letting a white belt do that. Nevermnd... i'll just find out on saturday.

I said "I see no problem with going blue"... Cant you read rocket scientist?

Anyways I'm actually at a hotel in newark right now, too pumped up to go to sleep.

Back