Anyone betting on Hammill now?

Dreamcatcher10

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I thought T. Silva was on the path to dominating this fight but two things happened:

1. Hammill looks to be in really good shape (judging by his physique)

2. Thiago was 2 pounds over indicating a tough cut

Does this change your previously predicted outcome?

Matt Hamill will step into his bout next week at UFC Fight Night against Thiago Silva without the help of his longtime friend and trainer Duff Holmes.

Hamill had worked with Holmes for several years out of a gym in New York after he left The Ultimate Fighter back in 2006.

Unfortunately after Hamill decided to return to fighting following a brief retirement, the two had a difference of opinion especially concerning his decision to take this upcoming fight against Silva in Brazil.

Holmes told UFC Tonight's Ariel Helwani that he refused to train Hamill for this fight because he doesn't believe the Ohio native should be competing out of fear of suffering further damage to his long-term health. This resulted in Hamill picking up and moving his camp to Tampa, Florida where he trained for the bout against Silva instead.

Holmes, who actually learned sign language so he could communicate and help train Hamill better, wishes his former fighter the best and admitted it will be odd to not be in his corner for the bout.

"There is a guy who lives inside of Matt Hamil that can wipe the floor with Thiago Silva but I'm not sure he's still around and I'm not sure he's going to come back next week," Holmes said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/story/hamills-coach-opposed-to-comeback-100213

Love Hamil and his feel good story, but if your coach of 7 years, who learned sign language because he was so devoted to you, refuses to train you as he thinks you don't have it anymore, I can't in good consciousness bet on you

Hamill is 36 and I thought he looked soft and less muscled than earlier in his career. He kind of mechanically stepped through his last fight against a low caliber opponent and eeked out a decision.

Silva falls short against the elite but he's exactly the type of dude that will eat Hamill's lunch. I'm actually worried Matt is likely to get hurt.

I hate Thiago out of all guys he is still in the UFC while a good company man like Okami is not. A guy who stays out of trouble, comes into a fight on weight and does his job but then gets the boots. Piss me off.

Still, I favor Thiago he is going to kill Hammil.

Thiago via 1st rd TKO

If Matt does win, he'd have to be mention among the GOATS.
Wins over Jones, Tito & Thiago is incredible!

Am I just imagining it or has Thiago missed weight before? Maybe I'm confusing that with popping hot for juice and weed. Is there anything else this guy can do to run afoul of commissions? Good lord.

neither look in shape actually
1384336_10151919615951276_946984629_n.jpg

I hate Thiago out of all guys he is still in the UFC while a good company man like Okami is not. A guy who stays out of trouble, comes into a fight on weight and does his job but then gets the boots. Piss me off.

Still, I favor Thiago he is going to kill Hammil.

Why does it bother you that he misses weight and gets in trouble?

Do you run the UFC? You do realize you only WATCH IT right? You have nothing to do with anything MMA. You're a fucking nerd at home. Your delusional imaginary throne judging human beings for not being perfect. lol

Fighters can be whatever they want to be. Be dickheads or good guys. Screw ups or company men. Doesn't matter. Who cares?!

All that matters is the fight. Over analytical jerk off fans.

neither look in shape actually
1384336_10151919615951276_946984629_n.jpg

Yeah he sort of looks like an average athletic guy in that pic.

For everyone talking about how Thiago should be cut...sure if you look only at the mistakes he has made, most fighters would be cut. But the bottom line is that Thiago is much more exciting than most fighters. He has 14 finishes in 15 wins and he always brings it. He even found a way to make the fight against Rashad exciting, when Rashad was trying to lnp the entire fight. His losses and even his nc fights are exciting.
We can't say Okami was in exciting fights and we can't say Fitch was in exciting fights. Exciting fighters get much longer leashes in this business. It's as simple as that and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone

Hamill has a chance, he is incredibly underrated.

Do you run the UFC? You do realize you only WATCH IT right? You have nothing to do with anything MMA. You're a fucking nerd at home. Your delusional imaginary throne judging human beings for not being perfect. lol

Fighters can be whatever they want to be. Be dickheads or good guys. Screw ups or company men. Doesn't matter. Who cares?!

Beyond well put.

Hats off sir

You need a hug, though if you are such a douche and so angry all the time its not a suprise that you are not getting any.

thiago looked soft at the weigh ins. I think if hamill uses his wrestling he can win this one

Back