Anybody else think Jones should get automatic point deductions for eye pokes?

Wariowokecancel

You can cancel but you can’t wake
@Gold
Reaction score
Joe Rogan said here we go when Cormier got poked.

Intentional or not, Jones pokes everybody and will never stop unless he experiences consequences. He has never had a point taken away and probably holds the record for warnings.

His open hand style is the problem, whether it's deliberate or not. He's going to fuck somebody's eye up one day. Refs being lenient or giving him the element of the doubt will never get him to change. Automatic point deductions will get Greg Jackson to teach Jones to keep his hand closed pronto.

I know you can't make an official decision to always punish him but the refs he gets need to counteract. No warnings, just a deduction.

In fact maybe all fighters need to get automatic deductions. You're more likely to get a deduction for a groin shot or cage crab even though those are not career threatening.

I think he should. I wouldn't be surprised if he held the UFC record for eye pokes.

Are there any examples of fighters who have to fight by different rules than their opponent?

A foul is a foul, intentional or otherwise.

Ref's need to crack down on a lot of things - especially fence grabbing.

DC should be suspended for intentionally throwing strikes after the bell.

I don't think it would be an abuse of power to do so. I would think you have to warn him in the locker room before the fight.

Maybe they should use the fucking "They have taken 3457834659783645 steps in this fight Joe, Amazing!!" camera and track eyepokes instead.

Are there any examples of fighters who have to fight by different rules than their opponent?

this..

and remember even though herb dean would have deducted a point from each jones's eye poke he would have still won

I liked when Herb Dean warned him and was very specific in his instruction to how Jon should have his fingers angled at 90 degrees. I think that refs should be giving out point deductions more than they do: eye pokes, fence grabs, short grabs, etc.

If it was Bisping or Rockhold doing this pokes they would hate so much in Sherdog. But it's Jones, so it's ok.

Jones won the fight.. Not taking anything away from him.. He's a monster... But that poke changed the entire fight.

Oh, and people hate Gerard Gordeau, for doing this exact same thing. I just hope Jones doesn't hurt someone with pokes like Gordeau did.

Jones is now famous for his continued and blatant eye poking. It is now part of his character and its burnt in everyone's minds that JBJ will come to poke in a fight. That is sad and a shame that what he is currently most known for are his eye pokes. Sure his striking is unorthodox, his aggression is impressive and his cardio is on par....but now his most known fight factor is bringing eye pokes to the fight.

All fighters should lose a point after the second poke. Warning for the first and a point deduction for the second and beyond.

Herb Dean handled the eye poke PERFECTLY. He gave Jones very clear instructions (to not extend the fingers outward, only upward) that would have basically forced him to deduct a point if Jones did it again. Nobody has a point deducted after one non-malicious looking eye poke, ever. It just doesn't, and shouldn't happen.

Jones won the fight.. Not taking anything away from him.. He's a monster... But that poke changed the entire fight.

That's taking everything away from him... You just implied Jones won due to an eyepoke.

Back