Anybody else do this?

wildcard_seven

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To get my opponents back while he is in my guard (no gi, as an alternative to an armdrag), I will grab both his wrists like I'm setting up a triangle then shove both his arms to one side while I pop my hips out to the other side (keeping grip with hands). Usually I end up easily being able to reach over and grab his lat, and take the back. If not, I'm normally very far to his side, I just hold on tight to him on the side and set up an armbar. It is really useful if a guy just wants to sit in your guard and stalemate your submissions and sit-outs.

All things are possible if we believe in ourselves.

wildcard_seven said:
To get my opponents back while he is in my guard (no gi, as an alternative to an armdrag), I will grab both his wrists like I'm setting up a triangle then shove both his arms to one side while I pop my hips out to the other side (keeping grip with hands). Usually I end up easily being able to reach over and grab his lat, and take the back. If not, I'm normally very far to his side, I just hold on tight to him on the side and set up an armbar. It is really useful if a guy just wants to sit in your guard and stalemate your submissions and sit-outs.

Damn, wish i read this before i went to class. Sounds like something i might wanna try.

Guy must be really off balance right? Do you do anything do make him off balance outside of wrist control?

interesting. i have never seen anyone doing this, but if it works for you who can argue it?
i'd try it if i had a closed guard that was for a fuck.

It works. I've done it on fairly advanced people, and even big, fairly experienced people. The main key is the hips, not the pushing with your arms. If you were imagining a big push with your arms than yes, this is ludicrous. You push the arms out yes, but you make a big pop out the other side with your hips, and then immediately come back in and glue your hip to his side. Its here that I reach over and grab the lat. I have long legs, so once I'm on his side I really tighten up my legs so he's stuck with me on his side, moving towards his back.

Back