Any suggestions what to do in this position?

babygetoboy

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I keep running into this position while rolling and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Basically he's standing in my close guard and not doing anything or opening my guard, but just having a cross collar thumb in grip pressing as hard as he can in my neck and standing in my closed guard. Having a tough time coming up with anything successful.

Thanks in advance.

In the position that you have described it safe to assume that your opponent's weight is forward (as he's attempting to choke you). If his weight is on his arms, his legs are behind him due to the fact that he's standing, then your hips should be mobile enough for you to get an angle for an arm bar on either arm.

How close are his legs together when he stands up in your closed guard? If his legs are close together, I'd drop my hip down and clamp his knees together with my legs for a sweep.

If his legs are too far, I'd go for DLR

Depends on how his weight is distributed. Armbar is a common option but it can be tough from there as well, depending on where his elbow is, and the size difference. If he's leaning over you might also have a triangle. Tomoe Nage is also an option from there which a lot of guys don't expect, but if he's standing and leaning over you like that then it can definitely work.

But overall, my advice would be to feel free to abandon the closed guard and go for other attacks. If I have closed guard and my opponent stands, I very rarely bother fighting for the closed guard anymore, unless I specifically want to work closed guard.

Hi everyone, I keep running into this position while rolling and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Basically he's standing in my close guard and not doing anything or opening my guard, but just having a cross collar thumb in grip pressing as hard as he can in my neck and standing in my closed guard. Having a tough time coming up with anything successful.

Thanks in advance.

I like to grab the sleeve/arm to hold the arm right there and noodle-whip my leg over the shoulder to pull in an omoplata. But, as others said, the armbar is possible as well.

Sounds like arm bar would be your best option!

I grab the elbow with both hands and twist it in a kimura motion.

This sets up arm crushes and omoplatas and even if it doesn't work it still acts as a deterrent.

It's one of the only moves I attack violently.

I agree with superrambo. Open your guard and you will have more options. I would start by getting feet on his hips and/or looking to grab ankles. Either way, you can't stay there so get moving

Can a helicopter/elevator sweep work from there?

Open your guard, feet on hips or start making angles.

Thanks in advance.

I don't see how he can effectively choke you with a cross collar grip? Even if he was doing some kind of Tenri-wrist and pushing it in to your throat you could just push it to the side and start taking his back. Unless you mean he has a standard collar grip and is using a Thrust Choke/Amassa Pao/Tsukkomi Jime.

:icon_conf

Open your guard, feet on hips or start making angles.

Everyone says this. "Open your guard, open your guard." Well, yeah, I guess that's an option, but as time goes on people forget how to actually maintain a proper closed guard. I'm not talking about squeezing your legs to keep it closed. I'm talking about shifting weight to ruin the opponents posture while maintaining the safest position.

Just a small pet peeve of mine. I have nothing against open guard, but it's an answer to a problem I don't think should even exist.

If he/she is that far forward, maybe you could grab and ankle and go into single leg X, or grab both of their sleeves and try for spider guard.

If you can shift your weight underneath him properly, a roleta sweep maybe an option

Basically he's standing in my close guard and not doing anything or opening my guard, but just having a cross collar thumb in grip pressing as hard as he can in my neck and standing in my closed guard.

From 1:50 onwards, Wolverine shows a good defence to a cross collar choke from kneeling, very similar to the above situation.

Your opponent is asking for an arm bar if he puts his hand in deep in your collar, especially if it's before he stands up.

Back