Any suggestions for shorts?

Machiavellian.

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I am wanting to buy some shorts which will be used for BJJ and Muay Thai. I am 6'2 and 195 lbs, after I cut in the summer and get in better shape I weigh around 180. I would like to buy shorts that come down to around my knees but aren't too baggy around the legs. I am looking at the Inspirit Spec 2's and the Sprawl v-flex XT, I wanted the Hayabusa but they are out of stock at www.rdfc.tv/. I know the NOGI's are supposed to be longer than most shorts but I don't want to have to order from an American website.

Any suggestions on a good pair of shorts?

Thanks for the help guys.

While I have not worn them (the Fairtex http://www.rdfc.tv/images/Fairtex_images/Fairtex_All_Sport_Shorts.jpg) , I have seen them in person and they seem like a great grappling/stand-up pair of shorts. They have a nice long, split-seam like the Hayabusa even though they don't show it in that pic. They are very pricey at around $60 but I would give them consideration if you don't mind dropping some coin on shorts.

What do you guys think about koral shorts ?

check out the cageside shorts at www.cagesidemma.com honestly they are just like sprawls but a better price. and if you want my opinion on the koral shorts they feel like tarp you get name more than quality with the shorts

I've trained Muay Thai and grappling in the following pairs of shorts I own: Sprawl V-Flex, Sprawl G-Flex XT, Nogi Ghost/Phantom, Hitman 4way Recon and RDFC Anacondas. They all perform well, but I have my particular favorites at the moment.

My opinions are the best for standup was the G-Flex XT because it's very lightweight and unrestrictive and the split seams help me throw knees easier because I have short legs and all these shorts run long on me. The curse of being short while having a big waistline.

The Nogis felt the lightest and the Anacondas because of the cotton canvas material were the heaviest, making them the least comfortable for pure standup despite the split seam. They are however great for grappling, since they absorb sweat like gi pants and have great grip. The G-Flex also has a grappling specific grip zone that helps when you attempt certain subs and holds. Hitman Recons are still new, and I haven't trained in them as much as the rest but they are made of great flexible material and both them and the Nogis have no problems throwing high kicks and knees in despite their lack of split seam and long length. I just find it slightly easier throwing knees with the G-Flex because the split seam makes it feel like they're not even there. To sum it up, I would train Standup in any of these except the Anacondas, and they're all great for no gi BJJ.

for bjj and muay thai, I would say sprawls for a purely functional short. either get a pair of the g-flex or the v-flex. in fact, the v-flexes are on clearance right now (some styles) so head over to someplace like mmawarehouse and grab a pair before they're sold out. if you aren't in the u.s. either conside dragonbleu.com or rdfc.tv Both are highly touted non-U.S. sites.

Just got the new hayabusa kyoudo fight shorts and in all, I love em. Despite the logo stitched on the back left thigh that itches as well as the front velcro closure. these are minimal, and i am looking for any and all flaws mind you. Rolling in em is a dream. The rubber line that runs along the inside waist really helps on scrambles, they never once felt like they were gonna come off. working standup, the kicks were unrestricted. Did I mention how dope these look? Straight pimpin!! In all, with fed ex, I dropped eighty bones for these. And im stoked to say the least. Im getting another pair next week. Other than these I own three pairs of Sprawls and two cage walk. EVERY pair of sprawls I own the stitching came undone at the velcro closure and one of the cage walk tore first week at the groin area. I roll with confidence when wearing these Hayabusas. These get my highest reccomendation

Just got the new hayabusa kyoudo fight shorts and in all, I love em. Despite the logo stitched on the back left thigh that itches as well as the front velcro closure. these are minimal, and i am looking for any and all flaws mind you. Rolling in em is a dream. The rubber line that runs along the inside waist really helps on scrambles, they never once felt like they were gonna come off. working standup, the kicks were unrestricted. Did I mention how dope these look? Straight pimpin!! In all, with fed ex, I dropped eighty bones for these. And im stoked to say the least. Im getting another pair next week. Other than these I own three pairs of Sprawls and two cage walk. EVERY pair of sprawls I own the stitching came undone at the velcro closure and one of the cage walk tore first week at the groin area. I roll with confidence when wearing these Hayabusas. These get my highest reccomendation

I'm thinking of getting a pair soon. Nice to hear feedback from someone who's used it. Maybe if you have time you could write a review after rolling in them a bit more. They do look dope, and Hayabusa makes quality gear.

Btw, how long are the Kyoudo shorts compared to Sprawls?

Back