Any sherdogger ever tried out Aikido?

This stuff teach just few eclectic arts.

Suff for wirst locks and even fingers had also JJJ.

I definitely can see the wrist lock stuff working in a self-defence/security type of situation against an untrained person.
Might work also against trained. Then like in grappling who is better in this moment. Also size, strength etc matters a lot.
JJJ too have wirst locks etc stuff.

Okey, definitely these arts like this aikido are more softened than were before WW2.
Plus first their students were already masters in other arts that had damn real experience with completely resisting ukes.

Now, yes, I don't think that this might be base… but additional art.
If you are alredy experienced grappler plus with at least some striking skills ( gained trough at least hard sparring ) then ...

Time can be better spent at more efficient martial arts than Akido.

1. how were the throws in comparison to Judo?
  2. did you learn any submissions - chokes, leg locks etc?
  3. did you have to wear a skirt in order to train?
  4. was it any fun?
  1. Throws tended to project out rather than down. Used a lot of momentum transfer and taisabaki shifts
  2. Submissions: wrist locks, armbars (sort of), shoulder locks (sort of), ankle lock (sort of).
  3. No skirt. Sadnis! (ToT)
  4. Yeah it was fun, barring some aikido "too deadly" primadonas. Actually, that was a big turn off; probably stupid pecking order stuff that happens when no one spars.
Things I really enjoyed about aikido
  • Jo / bokken work
  • Warm ups (aikido had dynamic range of motion and mobility warmups before they were cool)
  • Ukemi practice
  • It's a great workout
Things I didn't enjoy
  • Aforementioned primadonas who liked to passive-aggressively 'assert their dominance' over the 'clueless white belt' (bitch, I've been grappling for 20 year) by resisting techniques, cranking locks etc
  • Yes sir / no sir / three bags full sir pseudo-japaneseness by some of the wee-aboos.

Last edited:
Back