Any serious grapplers in the Lansing area?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Kforcer, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Kforcer

Kforcer Dragon Slayer

I'm not a BJJ practicioner in the slightest...I consider my style 100% catch-as-catch-can wrestling and folkstyle wrestling...and I suppose, a little bit of judo...

But....at the same time, I like to be able to measure my skills against seriously training practicioners of BJJ as well as grappling. In Kalamazoo, I have Southside Dojo to train at...and in Coldwater, I have Dan Severn's establishment, which I commute to when I can.

However, in East Lansing, though I have friends who dearly love grappling, I am not in contact with anyone serious on the level of the Southside Dojo fellows or the Coldwater fellows.

I took a lesson at American Fitness and Martial Arts with Daniel Smith, and found the lack of live rolling and the emphasis on "street" defense wanting in so far as what I was looking for. I know Sam Wells and Rashad Evans are lurking about in the Lansing area, but I lack contacts for either man. Anyone know where THEY train at or where Sam Wells holds classes at?

Furthermore, if anyone is a serious BJJ'ist or grappler in the Lansing or East Lansing area looking for someone to train with who knows of viable places to train at, please contact me at:

[email protected]

Or just PM me.

2. Kforcer

Kforcer Dragon Slayer

3. Wolverine

Wolverine Green Belt

You got Saulo Ribeiro and Xande Ribeiro in Detroit area. Not sure if you want to drive that far.

Wolverine
    ///

4. Kforcer

Kforcer Dragon Slayer

Thanks for the reply man. I wasn't asking about places to train in Michigan; 1, I already have that and 2. I'm not a BJJ'ist like I said, and I'd stick with the group at Southside Dojo or Coldwater before I went to a BJJ school. But I was looking for some place that would be convenient for me while I was in East Lansing. I might have a fight on the 6th and if not then, probably in March, so I wanted to have continuous training.

BTW--my e-mail is [email protected] PM or e-mail me some time if you ever wanna get together and roll. Southside Dojo has some really good guys, and unlike at Severn's, its easy to find a time to just drop in and roll around, whenever. Even though I'm not a BJJ'ist, rolling with BJJ'ists is great for exposing potential holes in new techniques I try out.