• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Any preppers in here?

Incredibly torn on this subject. On the one hand, preppers are often completely nuts. On the other hand:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-security-stockpiling-idUSKCN10W0MJ

Having canned food and a sufficient water stockpile for a while certainly is not a bad idea. In the same sense that vaccination are not a bad idea: the more people have a little bit of food and drinking water, the lesser the impact of any big event will be in the short term.

Ha ha, I was wondering if you would pick up on that. I personally think that it is a great idea.

Not to derail the thread, but guess who, as expected, found a way to start bitching about that ?

You guessed right. The Greens and the Linke. They said that such measures "induced panick" or whatever the f*ck. We don't want to risk impairing that multicultural dream by a iota now, do we ?

IMO a good thread might also be the AfD's recent thoughts on staatliches Gewaltsmonopol (notion that I would translate by "the state monopoly on the use of force").

BTW, I recently went to 2 police stations to ask cops about which knives were legal to carry.

Let's just say that first of all : they had no clue (if you want a wtf moment, go check §42a Waffengesetz), and second : the very notion of private people wanting to defend themselves is alien to the people in this country, it seems.

Ha ha, I was wondering if you would pick up on that. I personally think that it is a great idea.

Not to derail the thread, but guess who, as expected, found a way to start bitching about that ?

You guessed right. The Greens and the Linke. They said that such measures "induced panick" or whatever the f*ck. We don't want to risk impairing that multicultural dream by a iota now, do we ?

IMO a good thread might also be the AfD's recent thoughts on staatliches Gewaltsmonopol (notion that I would translate by "the state monopoly on the use of force").

BTW, I recently went to 2 police stations to ask cops about which knives were legal to carry.

Let's just say that first of all : they had no clue (if you want a wtf moment, go check §42a Waffengesetz), and second : the very notion of private people wanting to defend themselves is alien to the people in this country, it seems.

A fellow student told me a story while I was in university. They drove into the forest with a samurai type of sword to record some fantasy movie type of stuff (IIRC). On their way back, he came into a traffic stop by police. The cops kind of freaked out when they saw the sword on the passenger seat, so they dragged him out of the car, handcuffed him and brought him to the station.

Shortly thereafter, they released him and were apologetic.

"It turns out you can legally own your sword after all."

"But I cannot carry it?"

"Yes, you can also carry it..."

As a matter of fact, it is not that easy in reality. The only knives that will not get you into problems are kitchen knifes.

https://www.ferner-alsdorf.de/recht...94/#Messer_die_man_nicht_8220fuehren8221_darf

Personally I believe it is less about multiculturality than it is about the general mindset that there may be something that or who could attack us and that we need to defend against.

I completely disagree with the AfD here. The correct response is not to call for militias and personal armament but to undo police budget cuts of the last 15-20 years.

A fellow student told me a story while I was in university. They drove into the forest with a samurai type of sword to record some fantasy movie type of stuff (IIRC). On their way back, he came into a traffic stop by police. The cops kind of freaked out when they saw the sword on the passenger seat, so they dragged him out of the car, handcuffed him and brought him to the station.

Shortly thereafter, they released him and were apologetic.

"It turns out you can legally own your sword after all."

"But I cannot carry it?"

"Yes, you can also carry it..."

As a matter of fact, it is not that easy in reality. The only knives that will not get you into problems are kitchen knifes.

https://www.ferner-alsdorf.de/recht...94/#Messer_die_man_nicht_8220fuehren8221_darf

I am afraid that thas is inaccurate.

Every blade that isn't illegal may be carried from point A to point B with a plausible excuse (illegal blades are ballisongs, switchblades, stuff like that).

However, carrying a blade on oneself, "das Führen", is illegal if :
- the knife is a fixed blade of more than 12cm
- the knife is a folding knife that may be opened with one hand

Therefore, you can walk around with a kitchen knife with a blade of 12 cm, but not of 13 cm.

But you may not walk around with a folding knife that you can open with one hand, even if the blade is 5 cm.

However you may walk around with a folding knife that opens with 2 hands, even if the blade is a 50 cm long.

LOL.

Oh and what I wrote applies for knives that are not classified as weapons. What makes a knife fall under the definition of weapon ? Well if it is designed as a combat knife, or the manufacturer claims that it is lethal.

You Germans bring the LULZ sometimes.

Personally I believe it is less about multiculturality than it is about the general mindset that there may be something that or who could attack us and that we need to defend against.

I completely disagree with the AfD here. The correct response is not to call for militias and personal armament but to undo police budget cuts of the last 15-20 years.

As far as I read, it does have to do with the recent salafist attacks by refugees, therefore I see a clear link with the refugee policy and immigration and multiculturalism.

And on your second quote, I am not saying that I want private militia in Germany, but the thought is increasingly crossing my mind. I don't think that it can be worse than the current situation, to be honest.

Pepper sprays are currently best sellers and are starting to be sold even in stores like DM. The population isn't feeling safe anymore, and with good reasons. I am carrying a robust 10 cm blade on me at all times since a few days now. It's pretty much the best thing that I can carry legally, thanks to German laws.

I am likely going to just sh1t my pants if a salafist starts axing people in the metro next to me, but I get comfort in the idea that I'll have the means to at least try to gut said salafist, if ever that situation arises.

All in all there are good arguments for and against private carrying of firearms, and it would make a good debate, because our society is changing fast.

I have some safety measures in place:
- Get Home Bag in the car, plus several extra tools (from starter cables to crowbar and shovel); my fishing kit and inflatable canoe also live in the back of my car;
- My work backpack is basically a bug out bag, but can also be used (and it mostly is) as an overnight back for unexpected stayovers, hiking bag (for multiple days), et cetera;
- I have a Never Going Home bag on standby with a weeks worth of food (two weeks if need be), maps, clothing, extended tool kit, et cetera; next to it sits my dogs backpack with a week worth of his food, his own IFAK, little dog bed and a small tarp.

I also carry an extended EDC; knife, flashlight, two lighters, handkerchief, small multitool, IFAK, et cetera.

No food or water reserves besides what's in the NGH bag. I live in an appartment in a biggish town, and should SHTF, there's only one option, and that is to bug out.

Ever notice preppers are the last people you wanna repopulate the planet after some zombie apocalypse.

i-m actually training to become better at stealing from preppers, in case shit hits the fan and society collapses.

Ever notice preppers are the last people you wanna repopulate the planet after some zombie apocalypse.

I watched some of the doomsday prepper episode a while back. I know its a TV show but those dudes vastly overestimate their own toughness in an extreme situation.

For example one guy shot of his own thump. And another guy faded and threw up all over the place because his buddy shot a gun near him in a small room.
Most of those guys weren't milliliter trained at all but they talked about how they would just shoot everyone or beat them to death etc. But they didnt train their own physic/reaction for that kind of extreme situation at all.

One guy was so fat he couldn't walk more than 15 steps and need an AV to get around.

I watched some of the doomsday prepper episode a while back. I know its a TV show but those dudes vastly overestimate their own toughness in an extreme situation.

For example one guy shot of his own thump. And another guy faded and threw up all over the place because his buddy shot a gun near him in a small room.
Most of those guys weren't milliliter trained at all but they talked about how they would just shoot everyone or beat them to death etc. But they didnt train their own physic/reaction for that kind of extreme situation at all.

One guy was so fat he couldn't walk more than 15 steps and need an AV to get around.

They're Fn rubes.

Prepper? Yeah I put pepper on my eggs, sometimes fruit too.

I was prepping pretty hard after the 08 crash. However, after I spent a summer maintaining an off grid farm that was about 85-90% self sufficient I stopped prepping. It is a full time commitment to achieve a full off grid self sufficient life. I can always b-line to this farm if SHTF but I probably wont. If there is a full collapse (economic, political and societal) I would rather go down in the storm than live in the aftermath. Preppers in urban areas will be in for a fight once people know they have supplies.

Prepping has stopped for me but some things held out because I enjoy them: I have chickens, grow food, I think everyone in DC is a liar and I have an 870.

I think one ought to distinguish between 'I have made preparations in order to care for my families in the first couple of days / weeks if something happens' and 'I will survive the Zombie apocalypse in my mountain cave'. One is being responsible, the other is being a little crazy.

Absolutely.

Better than 99% of the population.

Madmax style zombie apocalypse? Meh probably not. Katrina type disaster? Absolutely.

Where? RURAL VERMONT.

I am financially diversified and secure. I also keep plenty of cash for when the ATM will not work.

I have a generator hooked up to my house. Only enough fuel for a few days right now though. Could stretch it to a month with intermittent use.

Tons of food. At least 6 months worth. I have a well so water is plentiful. I mentioned rural Vermont so game is also plentiful.

Guns and ammo? LOL. More than anyone here I suspect.

I have all the other bases covered like firewood, communications, transportation.

I won't survive the end of the world but I will survive emergency disasters easily. Most of you guys have no cash, half a tank of gas, and a weeks worth of food. Good luck.

Well damn. I feel unprepared now.

I haven't prepared at all.

I have red wine and vodka for about a weeks worth, though.

I was prepping pretty hard after the 08 crash. However, after I spent a summer maintaining an off grid farm that was about 85-90% self sufficient I stopped prepping. It is a full time commitment to achieve a full off grid self sufficient life. I can always b-line to this farm if SHTF but I probably wont. If there is a full collapse (economic, political and societal) I would rather go down in the storm than live in the aftermath. Preppers in urban areas will be in for a fight once people know they have supplies.

Prepping has stopped for me but some things held out because I enjoy them: I have chickens, grow food, I think everyone in DC is a liar and I have an 870.

Sounds like you got a good foundation though. Realistically I think we ware due for a collapse. When was the last time we had something like that in the U.S? The Great Depression?

And that was back in the 20's and 30's these guys were already "prepped" so to speak. Most were self sufficient. Didn't rely only on computers-farmed and killed their own food. Made their own heat. America as a nation will be so lost if the system collapses.

I think one ought to distinguish between 'I have made preparations in order to care for my families in the first couple of days / weeks if something happens' and 'I will survive the Zombie apocalypse in my mountain cave'. One is being responsible, the other is being a little crazy.

On one token though it's better to be overprepared then under.

Though those guys on that doomsday prepper show...I think they just shot themselves in the foot. They've just let the whole nation know where their supplies are and that they have them. Those guys are going to get looted first thing. Like @indrid said there are people who's way of prepping is to just rob and steal from those who've already done the hard work.

On one token though it's better to be overprepared then under.

Though those guys on that doomsday prepper show...I think they just shot themselves in the foot. They've just let the whole nation know where their supplies are and that they have them. Those guys are going to get looted first thing. Like @indrid said there are people who's way of prepping is to just rob and steal from those who've already done the hard work.

True. And those who have set their cabins up quietly in the countryside...well if you do not live there good luck getting there in the first place. And the next thing is: people would, as you said, go for those kind of folks. While @Stoic1 is out to hunt, they steal his food and supplies.

Therefore I believe a 'independent of society' approach does not necessarily work. People would not stay in the cities to die and all your guns cannot save you from hungry masses.

Either way, maybe that is just my view as someone who has lived both in very rural areas and now in the city. If everybody does a minimum (have water, have food for a couple weeks), most situations (lockdowns due to terrorist situations, natural disasters) will not completely disrupt society. Everything beyond that is unpredictable anyway.

You can prep your wife for me and then go face the corner if you want.

Ya cuckold! !!

Lol just kidding I don't know where that came from.

Back