Any path of victory for Chris?

He's got the reach and size over Kelvin. He could possibly keep him at the end of his longer limbs.

He also has an underrated SUB game, with a nice standing guillotine, and he's a BJJ blackbelt, so he could potentially catch him with something on the ground.

Yeah, sub would be my guess...I feel like he's going to look for it.

Whinemans best chance is to win the first rds by wrestlefuck and hope for a decision win imo...

I can't believe how many of you still don't see it. The Chris is done. He USED to be all those things you mentioned, but he's not elite anymore. I don't care how underrated his game is by noobs, even a boob can tell this guy's got brain trauma. I can't believe they even let him fight. His jaw is all jacked up and I think he chews gum all the time now to hide that up-and-down Grandpa phantom chew. You know how your Grandpa looks like he's gnawing into something that isn't there? That's the Chris

a vicious ass wheel kick. otherwise, probably take to the ground and gnp.

i imagine gnp tko or sub, he could hurt him on the feet with his size and reach too

I dont think he's going to win but he needs to use his size and his grappling plain and simple, I personally just dont think he can do this for 5 rounds

He doesnt necessarily need to. 3 rounds is usually enough to win a 5 rounder.

lapses are what sunk Chris in some previous fights...so if he retains his focus, and uses his significant size, reach, and grappling advantages, Chris should actually win this fight, IMHO.

I'm still not sold on Kelvin, tbh...I think his relative lack of size will be an ongoing challenge as he faces better MWs. Should be a great fight though.

Pretty clear prescription.

1. TD
2. Soften up with some GNP
3. KO or sub
4. Threads like these magically turn into "Kelvin was untested/sucks" threads overnight

Likewise with Kelvin.
1. Defend TD
2. Out-cardio
3. Turn up the pressure in later rounds/catch him standing when he drops his guard
4. Threads about how Chris was never good/smashed Maia+Munoz+Anderson+Anderson+Machida+Vitor all by fluke accidents for 15 rounds in a row.

The only thing we know for sure is that Sherdog's reaction will be dogshit regardless of what happens. Who knows about the fight itself.

He has to get a choke early. I don't think he has the power to put Kelvin away and I don't think he has the ability to keep him on his back without gassing.

For those who think Chris is going win tonight, how do you think he can get it done?

Use that 6.5 inch reach advantage and keep the fight at a distance the entire fight.
Take Kelvin down and lay on him, possibly get a submission or GnP.
Dont let Kelvin get on the inside, if he does go down for a single leg.

If he uses his size advantage for some dirty boxing against the cage, then gets the fight to the ground, uses grappling and gets a sub.

Teh Chris is a much bigger man and has better wrestling and BJJ. I honestly believe if he can get Fat Kelvin down he will tap him. Even though Teh Chris has KO power I don't think he wants to exchange in this fight.

Wrestle fuck a much smaller fighter seems to work.

I don't trust Current Weidman to do that without gassing himself out.

Maybe if Kelvin somehow trips and gives himself a concussion on the way to the octagon, The Chris could eke out a split decision win that half of Sherdog would immediately say was a robbery. Maybe.

He must get finish quick, he has pretty pretty underrated jiu-jitsu so he might take him down early and finish him either via gnp or submission

yea he absolutely can win - people are silly if they are that down on him (which they are) - i think TD / ground is where he has the biggest advantage - id expect him to get at least a couple TDs and i wouldnlt be surprised at all if he won a decision that way or won via stoppage from top control - people forget how good his grappling is

Take him down, take his back. Try to finish early from there. If the sub/GnP isn't there aim your shots and make Kelvin expend energy trying to escape, while keeping control. A dominant round while having back control and making Gastelum work will make it easier to take him down again.

Back