Any one of you ever bungee jumped before ?

Yes,in Acapulco, tequila has a lot to answer for.

No, I've skydived 3 times but I don't think I'll ever go bungee jumping. There was a guy that came to speak at the church my family attended growing up, something went wrong when he was bungee jumping and he ended up breaking his neck/being paralyzed from the neck down. I'm sure it's more than safe, and everything but that has always stuck with me whenever I've even considered going.

Yes.

In the very early days of new activity (or at least when it boomed in popularity in the late 80's) and I loved it.

I did it before all the safety features that are now in where in. I do not say as a positive, just that it made it more fun.

I'll tell my story in my next post since its long but also funny.

(i've also skydived a number of times, white water rafted, scuba dived, rock climbed, etc)

Yes, along with bridge jumping and reverse bungee

yeah did it in queenstown nz. bungeed into the river below it.

it was awesome. i wanna go again.

got to do skydiving next.

No, I've skydived 3 times but I don't think I'll ever go bungee jumping. There was a guy that came to speak at the church my family attended growing up, something went wrong when he was bungee jumping and he ended up breaking his neck/being paralyzed from the neck down. I'm sure it's more than safe, and everything but that has always stuck with me whenever I've even considered going.

<Prem974>

Yes.

In the very early days of new activity (or at least when it boomed in popularity in the late 80's) and I loved it.

I did it before all the safety features that are now in where in. I do not say as a positive, just that it made it more fun.

I'll tell my story in my next post since its long but also funny.

(i've also skydived a number of times, white water rafted, scuba dived, rock climbed, etc)

Cowboy is that you?

So, my jump was over the Ottawa River in Canada from the tallest free standing crane jump in Canada. About 200ft.

yAYlbx.gif

I love heights so I could not wait to jump for both skydiving and bungee jumping. I was disappointed when we skydived with a group of friends because I could not jump first. They lined us up smallest to biggest to jump which put me last. So when we bungee jumped I was determined to go first.

This was a weekend adventure camping weekend which involved white water rafting and bungee jumping and lots of camp fire drinking.

I was first in line, after a night of camping and drinking for the morning bungee jump. My friends lined up to watch. You had to climb up the 200ft crane exterior ladder which was a little bit of work in itself.

So I get to the top. No problem. I am faced with this pimply faced boy who looks to be a year or so younger than me at the time (maybe 17) and he starts giving me instructions. First he looks me up and down and asks me 'how tall are you?', I tell him and he throws out loops of the bungee cord in front of me. 'How much do you weigh?', and he then throws out more loops. He is literally judging how much cord by his eye test and a couple questions (which is awesome), and lastly he asks me 'do you want to touch the water or stop short?'. I say 'definitely touch?' He throughs out a couple more loops.

He then states, 'you are my first jumper so I may miss a bit and not quite get you to the water'. I reply 'I would rather go deep then not touch'. His reply was simply a very enthusiastic 'cool' and then he through out more loops.

So now he tells me to lay on the bench so he can attach the bungee to me. As someone who has skydived and rock climbed I was thinking a full harness system with redundancies. NOPE. Back then it was simply a heavy towel wrapped around your ankles and a thin velcro strap wrapped in a figure 8 around the towel around your ankles. That is it. Just the contact of the velcro for security, which I thought was awesome.

So now he tells me to stand up and make my way over to the edge to prepare to jump.

You get up and try to bunny hop to the edge but with your balance compromised (ankles binded) it is kind of nerve racking. But I make it to the edge. And despite loving heights and being stimulated by heights this was the first time I felt some nerves.

tumblr_o2aguqU3Hd1v1rp8no6_r2_500.gif

As you look down you can see your friends, now seeing you on the edge, pointing up and laughing. But they look like tiny manlets. Even sherdog manlets would look big in comparison. Ya its only 200ft or about 20 stories up but still you are looking down on the tree tops and people and all that context sinks in. SOmething you do not have in Skydiving which actually makes skydiving easier for many people afraid of heights as skydiving is more surreal with no initial contact to the ground. You are jumping into the unknown.

So I am now ready to jump and he says to me, 'on the count of 3 you are going to dip your knees and do your biggest jump as if you are reaching out to grab and catch that cloud. As you approach the water REMEMBER to tuck your chin against your chest and put your arms over your head with hands interlocked making a big double fist and punch the water as you enter. READY?'. 'Yes I am'.

One, Two, Three, I leap as I hear my friends screaming and waving. A perfect swan dive. (edit, oh but my knees knocked which embarrassed me.)

a808b-gallery-1.jpg

As I am plummeting towards the water, I have my neck stretch back trying to see the skyline. My adrenaline is full on and I am loving the sensation of free fall. I am pumping my arm while yelling "Yaaaaaaaa" the entire way down oblivious to the impending impact with the water.

Now the bungee is starting to tighten like an elastic band before I hit the water which actually causes you to whip, as the tension forces you completely head down before whipping you back up. IN the VHS video they take of every jump you see me, about 10 feet before the water still yelling 'Yaaaaaa', the elastic tightens and I am just belly flop slapped into the water with violent force. I disappear below and am completely gone, and you get a full 1.5 second count and suddenly the recoiling band snaps me back out. I am still pumping my arm in the 'yaaaaaa' gesture.

So now they have to lower me down to the boat that takes you to shore. As they lower me to the boat I see the two people on it look at me and do a 'holy shit, WTF face'. One guy half giggling but trying to hold back says 'oh, thats going to hurt'. I am oblivious. I am so hopped up on adrenaline and feeling no pain, I am just not really there.

I get to shore and all my friends are like 'holy shit'. My entire upper chest and forehead is basically bruised, blood red. Think of the worst belly flop slap. But adrenaline took me through until later that day when I was basically forced to grab hours of sleep due to the worst headache and whiplash effect ever, and likely a mild concussion.

So that is my story.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Nah, it always looked like an accident waiting to happen. The cord freaks me out. Looks like it could get tangled, or wrapped around your neck. Once you're bouncing up and down, its all up to fate. That's if everything goes as planned. Sky diving looks safer than that shit.

Nah, fuck that. I have done those giant arch swings though.

So, my jump was over the Ottawa River in Canada from the tallest free standing crane jump in Canada. About 200ft.

yAYlbx.gif

I love heights so I could not wait to jump for both skydiving and bungee jumping. I was disappointed when we skydived with a group of friends because I could not jump first. They lined us up smallest to biggest to jump which put me last. So when we bungee jumped I was determined to go first.

This was a weekend adventure camping weekend which involved white water rafting and bungee jumping and lots of camp fire drinking.

I was first in line, after a night of camping and drinking for the morning bungee jump. My friends lined up to watch. You had to climb up the 200ft crane exterior ladder which was a little bit of work in itself.

So I get to the top. No problem. I am faced with this pimply faced boy who looks to be a year or so younger than me at the time (maybe 17) and he starts giving me instructions. First he looks me up and down and asks me 'how tall are you?', I tell him and he throws out loops of the bungee cord in front of me. 'How much do you weigh?', and he then throws out more loops. He is literally judging how much cord by his eye test and a couple questions (which is awesome), and lastly he asks me 'do you want to touch the water or stop short?'. I say 'definitely touch?' He throughs out a couple more loops.

He then states, 'you are my first jumper so I may miss a bit and not quite get you to the water'. I reply 'I would rather go deep then not touch'. His reply was simply a very enthusiastic 'cool' and then he through out more loops.

So now he tells me to lay on the bench so he can attach the bungee to me. As someone who has skydived and rock climbed I was thinking a full harness system with redundancies. NOPE. Back then it was simply a heavy towel wrapped around your ankles and a thin velcro strap wrapped in a figure 8 around the towel around your ankles. That is it. Just the contact of the velcro for security, which I thought was awesome.

So now he tells me to stand up and make my way over to the edge to prepare to jump.

You get up and try to bunny hop to the edge but with your balance compromised (ankles binded) it is kind of nerve racking. But I make it to the edge. And despite loving heights and being stimulated by heights this was the first time I felt some nerves.

tumblr_o2aguqU3Hd1v1rp8no6_r2_500.gif

As you look down you can see your friends, now seeing you on the edge, pointing up and laughing. But they look like tiny manlets. Even sherdog manlets would look big in comparison. Ya its only 200ft or about 20 stories up but still you are looking down on the tree tops and people and all that context sinks in. SOmething you do not have in Skydiving which actually makes skydiving easier for many people afraid of heights as skydiving is more surreal with no initial contact to the ground. You are jumping into the unknown.

So I am now ready to jump and he says to me, 'on the count of 3 you are going to dip your knees and do your biggest jump as if you are reaching out to grab and catch that cloud. As you approach the water REMEMBER to tuck your chin against your chest and put your arms over your head with hands interlocked making a big double fist and punch the water as you enter. READY?'. 'Yes I am'.

One, Two, Three, I leap as I hear my friends screaming and waving. A perfect swan dive.

a808b-gallery-1.jpg

As I am plummeting towards the water, I have my neck stretch back trying to see the skyline. My adrenaline is full on and I am loving the sensation of free fall. I am pumping my arm while yelling "Yaaaaaaaa" the entire way down oblivious to the impending impact with the water.

Now the bungee is starting to tighten like an elastic band before I hit the water which actually causes you to whip, as the tension forces you completely head down before whipping you back up. IN the VHS video they take of every jump you see me, about 10 feet before the water still yelling 'Yaaaaaa', the elastic tightens and I am just belly flop slapped into the water with violent force. I disappear below and am completely gone, and you get a full 1.5 second count and suddenly the recoiling band snaps me back out. I am still pumping my arm in the 'yaaaaaa' gesture.

So now they have to lower me down to the boat that takes you to shore. As they lower me to the boat I see the two people on it look at me and do a 'holy shit, WTF face'. One guy half giggling but trying to hold back says 'oh, thats going to hurt'. I am oblivious. I am so hopped up on adrenaline and feeling no pain, I am just not really there.

I get to shore and all my friends are like 'holy shit'. My entire upper chest and forehead is basically bruised, blood red. Think of the worst belly flop slap. But adrenaline took me through until later that day when I was basically forced to grab hours of sleep due to the worst headache and whiplash effect ever, and likely a mild concussion.

So that is my story.

giphy.gif

Cool story and I'm definitely not bungee jumping any time soon.

Yea, numerous times. It's died a bit of a death now though.

I don't usually take risky chances. I even look both ways crossing the street.

I wouldn't think twice about walking into this though.

tumblr_n0qbqftVeU1rlb6iho1_r2_250.gif

Did it from a crane when in Vegas when I was 17. Cool experience, but would never do again.

I've also went skydiving once. Another one time deal for me. I got serious motion sickness from that.

Did it from the 2nd highest bridge in the world, South Africa. 7 seconds goin down, terminal velocity etc. That was my first and best.

The sound of the wind and, what's that other sound? Ahh yes, that's my involuntary screaming! Good times.
I could really do without the hanging upside-down for ages after with hundreds of feet below.

Nah, it always looked like an accident waiting to happen. The cord freaks me out. Looks like it could get tangled, or wrapped around your neck. Once you're bouncing up and down, its all up to fate. That's if everything goes as planned. Sky diving looks safer than that shit.

Nah, fuck that. I have done those giant arch swings though.
It is one of the only 'extreme' activities I have done that does not have a 'redundancy' back up,if your point of contact fails.

If you skydive, you have a second chute, if the first fails. If you rock climb you always tie off to two separate points so if one fails you have the second.

With Bungee jumping if the contact fails you are going down. Thus why I would only do it over water which kind of acts like a redundancy if the cord breaks during the tension stage as you are slowed down quite a bit during that stretch out where it would be most likely to break.

It was interesting that when I was trying to google a gif for my story above almost all of them were of accidents or breaks even though that is not what I googled.

I signed up to bungee jump off a bridge in Arizona. I was all set up and ready to go and then they told me to show up at 10 pm at night. I got a real uneasy vibe about that...like who jumps off a bridge at 10 at night??? Naw bruh...never tried again after that.

Has anyone gone on that one ride on the stratosphere? Fuck that ride

Did it from the 2nd highest bridge in the world, South Africa. 7 seconds goin down, terminal velocity etc. That was my first and best.

The sound of the wind and, what's that other sound? Ahh yes, that's my involuntary screaming! Good times.
I could really do without the hanging upside-down for ages after with hundreds of feet below.
I think New Zealand had the highest bridge jump back in the day (or was it in Aus??).

Back