Any NCWA members/competitors???

Diligent

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering if there were any NCWA members/competitors in this forum? So ... are there??? I go to UTA and we should have a wrestling team for next year. I'm super excited about it. :D

tequilaman said:
My brother is a Coach at UCF (Central Florida) and they won Nationals two years in a row now. For non-NCAA wrestling, it is pretty good.

http://www.ucfwrestling.net/bios/snow.html

I can put you in touch with some people if you would like.
Wow, UCF is awesome, man. Actually, the papers for the UTA team have already been signed and all from what the UTD coaches told me, but any suggestions or anything would be appreciated. Thanks!

The thing is, the NCWA has many strong teams, most which had lost their programs due to the wonderful Title 9, the article that says "for every sport, there must be a gender-equivalent sport for the other gender." Because wrestling rarely has a "woman's version", many legit programs got cut in the 1980-90s.

Point is, you can get a lot of tough competitors who would wrestle at NCAA schools, but they didn't happen to go to an NCAA school (or there were none in the area, as with FLA).

Treat it real, because I know UCF wrestlers do. The top 20 teams could probably hold their own with NCAA programs, and in fact, they often do. UCF just had a competition up here in NC and they won many matches against D1 schools.

THe main difference is funding, where most NCWA schools offer no scholarships whatsoever. It is still the best non-NCAA association out there.

Diligent said:
Wow, UCF is awesome, man. Actually, the papers for the UTA team have already been signed and all from what the UTD coaches told me, but any suggestions or anything would be appreciated. Thanks!

tequilaman said:
By the way, what does UTA stand for? Agriculture?

University of Texas at Arlington. It has a lil' over 25,000 students, so we definitely have a large base of people to gather a team from ....

I remember the first time I got on the NCWA website and looked at all of the team stats, and it was like all I heard and saw was UCF and how good they are. That's pretty awesome how they can hang with and even beat some D1 schools. I can't wait to start! :D

Good luck, and remember, there are no divisions- only winners and losers. Just keep winning and you'll be fine.

PS- By the way, the reason why UCF won is because my brother beats up on the HWs, and the rest of the team. He is an awesome coach, very good at explaining techniques. Jason was an 8 time freestyle state champ, 2x high school champ. NCAA All-American too.

GOOD LUCK!

Diligent said:
University of Texas at Arlington. It has a lil' over 25,000 students, so we definitely have a large base of people to gather a team from ....

I remember the first time I got on the NCWA website and looked at all of the team stats, and it was like all I heard and saw was UCF and how good they are. That's pretty awesome how they can hang with and even beat some D1 schools. I can't wait to start! :D

tequilaman said:
Good luck, and remember, there are no divisions- only winners and losers. Just keep winning and you'll be fine.

PS- By the way, the reason why UCF won is because my brother beats up on the HWs, and the rest of the team. He is an awesome coach, very good at explaining techniques. Jason was an 8 time freestyle state champ, 2x high school champ. NCAA All-American too.

GOOD LUCK!

Word. That's cool your brother is so active with the team. Hopefully we'll find an ok coach for UTA ... but right now, I train with the UTD and TCC teams, and Shawn Wilson (UTD) is a great coach and he is teaching me a lot. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back