Any Leon Edwards fans?

• Thread starter Deleted member 359865
  • Start date
That's how you get "famous" though and make more money. It is a business after all and brand matters. Look at Masvidal, he was a dude that did no trash talking, then exploded once he opened his mouth and had a few victories in the row. You either have to be Fedor that just wins for 10 years straight, or you have to find a way to elicit some form of following. Same with Covington, he was about to get cut, even though he is a pretty good fighter, and his solution was to build a "bad guy" brand, an now everyone knows him. Its much easier to negotiate and get good fights when people know your brand/name.
No I get why guys have to do it, I’m just not a fan. To each their own, I know some people find it highly entertaining so who am I to say it’s wrong?

Can you guys tel me what he specializes in? He kinda seems like one of those fighters that are just good at “stuff” and I’d like to know what makes him exciting to his fans?

hes alrite, wouldnt say im a fan.

Hes good all around, but where he shines is in his striking. Has some really crisp combos and timing. If he can handle usmans wrestling he can probably be champ.

People tend to focus too much on his striking, ignoring the fact that he's a great grappler too. Good subs, great take downs (especially from the clinch), excellent top pressure, and his TDD is pretty damn good. In most of his fights it's his grappling that gets him the W (and that same damn elbow from the clinch on the break).

Rate him, here's some GIFS

giphy.gif
TornCostlyBlackpanther-max-1mb.gif

AfraidDetailedKangaroo-size_restricted.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Can you guys tel me what he specializes in? He kinda seems like one of those fighters that are just good at “stuff” and I’d like to know what makes him exciting to his fans?

Good at using Britain as the 1st world developed country that it is for all its amenities and healthcare

to then claim Jamaica any time he can

Oh and if you consider if a skill (I don’t)
He managed to find the most ANNOYING pricks in the universe to use as coaches

other than that he’s a generic 170lb fighter
And i don’t think his chins upto much

I don't think that guy has any legit hardcore fans, but I appreciate his skillset.
However the only thing people will remember about him unless he captures the title is him getting sonned by Masvidal.

He looked pretty good against Raffy so i won't hate no more..

That's how you get "famous" though and make more money. It is a business after all and brand matters. Look at Masvidal, he was a dude that did no trash talking, then exploded once he opened his mouth and had a few victories in the row. You either have to be Fedor that just wins for 10 years straight, or you have to find a way to elicit some form of following. Same with Covington, he was about to get cut, even though he is a pretty good fighter, and his solution was to build a "bad guy" brand, an now everyone knows him. Its much easier to negotiate and get good fights when people know your brand/name.

Stipe doesn’t trash talk
Whittaker doesn’t trash talk
Nunes doesn’t trash talk
Valentina doesn’t trash talk
DC doesn’t trash talk, unless you are Jon Jones
Max Holloway doesn’t trash talk

All of them of sizable fan bases, social media followings over a million

Need I go on?

Stipe doesn’t trash talk
Whittaker doesn’t trash talk
Nunes doesn’t trash talk
Valentina doesn’t trash talk
DC doesn’t trash talk, unless you are Jon Jones
Max Holloway doesn’t trash talk

All of them of sizable fan bases, social media followings over a million

Need I go on?
You forgot to mention that they are all champs(or been), which is when UFC starts to promote you. Leon Edwards has never been champ, doesn't talk and has no fans. You see the difference?

You forgot to mention that they are all champs(or been), which is when UFC starts to promote you. Leon Edwards has never been champ, doesn't talk and has no fans. You see the difference?

Respectfully, I disagree. You don’t need to be a champ but you are correct that it does help a lot. But Leon needs stop to waiting for the UFC to promote him and promote himself.

Israel Adesanya had a massive following before he even joined the company. Islam Makhachev and Zambit also have never been champions both have huge fan bases and over 2 million followers. Michelle Waterson, Paige Vanzant, Sage Northcutt, even Miesha Tate before she got the belt are all good examples

Leon needs to spend time building his brand and do a lot more media. He probably should fire his manager and get a higher level PR team. I cant find a single podcast he has done. He never interviewed with anyone outside of traditional MMA media. He only has like 200 post on Instagram. He doesn’t teach classes or do PR events.

The reason he doesn’t have fans is because he hasn’t done any of the legwork. He has himself to blame

Respectfully, I disagree. You don’t need to be a champ but you are correct that it does help a lot. But Leon needs stop to waiting for the UFC to promote him and promote himself.

Israel Adesanya had a massive following before he even joined the company. Islam Makhachev and Zambit also have never been champions both have huge fan bases and over 2 million followers. Michelle Waterson, Paige Vanzant, Sage Northcutt, even Miesha Tate before she got the belt are all good examples

Leon needs to spend time building his brand and do a lot more media. He probably should fire his manager and get a higher level PR team. I cant find a single podcast he has done. He never interviewed with anyone outside of traditional MMA media. He only has like 200 post on Instagram. He doesn’t teach classes or do PR events.

The reason he doesn’t have fans is because he hasn’t done any of the legwork. He has himself to blame
Brother, what are you disagreeing with if you are agreeing with me across the board? "Promoting Himself" is part of trash talking. Trash talking does not mean you have to bad mouth everyone around you, it just means that you are promoting yourself brashly. Take a look at my initial post about branding here on the first page.

Not a big fan of his fighting style but he has earned his way to the top, unlike some...

Brother, what are you disagreeing with if you are agreeing with me across the board? "Promoting Himself" is part of trash talking. Trash talking does not mean you have to bad mouth everyone around you, it just means that you are promoting yourself brashly. Take a look at my initial post about branding here on the first page.

I suppose I misunderstood. I guess I see marketing yourself and trash talk as two separate things.

I suppose I misunderstood. I guess I see marketing yourself and trash talk as two separate things.
It's all good. Trash Talk is just another word for marketing for a fighter, whether its twitter wars, press conferences, post fight call outs, etc. Words are marketing weapons. I'm a marketer myself by trade, so this is an easy concept.

Not too educated about him but he's good... At everything. Everything.

Back