Any good BJJ schools in South Austin?

fedorade***

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys I am moving to South Austin, TX. Can you recommend me a good BJJ school? Any info on pricing would be helpful I'm a student so money isn't flowing in right now thanks a lot.

Relson Gracie- Austin.

Best school in the city, and not expensive.

Head instructor -
Phil Cardella - Relson black belt and WEC fighter
Other instructors-
Richard Giberson - Relson/Phil Cardella black belt and ex collegiate head wrestling coach
Donald Park- Royler Gracie/David Adiv black belt, outstanding competition resume

Open 364 days a year. Classes morning, afternoon and night. 3 open mats per week. Striking classes also. Great facility, several pros train with us from time to time like Kamal Shalarous and Tim Kennedy.

Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Austin Association - Home

Last edited:
Relson Gracie- Austin.

Head instructor -
Other instructors-
Richard Giberson - Relson/Phil Cardella black belt and ex collegiate head wrestling coach
Donald Park- Royler Gracie/David Adiv black belt, outstanding competition resume

Open 364 days a year. Classes morning, afternoon and night. 3 open mats per week. Striking classes also. Great facility, several pros train with us from time to time like Kamal Shalarous and Tim Kennedy.

Cost?

Relson Gracie- Austin.

Head instructor -
Other instructors-

agree phil's a good teacher. i go to lonestar mma in tyler tx were affiliated with them. he comes down from time to time to teach.

Austin Gracie Barra Address:8868 Research Blvd. #608
Austin, TX 78758.
Austin Gracie Barra phone: 877-946-2426.
Austin Gracie Barra email: [email protected].

Gracie Barra Austin is part of the legendary Gracie Barra, a worldwide Brazilian Jiu Jitsu organization with hundreds of Schools around the globe. Our Professors and Instructors are trained under the Gracie Barra Curriculum created by Master Carlos Gracie Jr. Our Head Instructor Professor Marcio Feitosa, 3rd degree black belt will be here in person managing the School for the 1st year, and after that a team of Gracie Barra certified Black Belt Professors will take the leadership.

Gracie Barra Programs reflect more than thirty (30) years of Master Carlos Gracie

There are several good schools in Austin depending on what you are looking for. I would no go as far as to label one of them the "best". Are you looking for more mma based BJJ? Gi or No gi? Both?

Down in south Austin you will have Rubicon fight sports, Relson Gracie-Austin, Vasquez Acadmeny, Austin Jiu Jitsu with Dave Thomas, Fit and Fearless/Crossfit gym with Ernesto Perales. There are even more if you want to drive a little ways..Austin insint that big.

Each gym has it's own strenghts and weaknesses. I would encourage you to check out TXMMA.com - Texas' 1st and Original Home for MMA and Combat Sports Since 2001 for a complete school listing and more review. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to try and answer them...as they say the best way is usually go go in and check out the gym.

See my reply in the other austin post. But Relson Gracie Austin is the place to go.

Bumping this old thread. Interested in joining a BJJ gym. Total beginner. I don't make a whole lot of money so I'm interested in what the going rates are for attending say Gracie Barra gym?

Bumping this old thread. Interested in joining a BJJ gym. Total beginner. I don't make a whole lot of money so I'm interested in what the going rates are for attending say Gracie Barra gym?

Depends on your situation. But, if the rates I pay CA to a GB gym are any indication here is what I've got:

- $156/mo was the "standard" rate.
- Get a discount if you pay in full rather than monthly
- If you're a student, you also get a discount

At the end of the day, I ended up paying just a tad over $120/mo. This was cheaper than most places in my area, especially given the schedule of available classes 7 days a week, from AM to PM, and I believe you can visit / attend any GB school you'd like after signup.

The annoying stuff is having to buy all of their gear.
- Gi's are like 160/each. if you plan on training more than a couple times a week, you'll probably need two Gi's. But, I believe they'll give you half off if you buy at signup. They did for me. Quality seems pretty weak. My $65 fuji seems considerably better--and this is after their supposed Gi upgrade.
- Rash guards they didn't give me half-off for, and they were like $45 each or something... they also require you wear a rash guard.

Somehow I got a belt in one of my Gi bags when I signed up, so maybe they gave it to me? I thought we were supposed to buy them.

There is a lot of dislike for GB it seems, and I can understand to some degree that their corporate focus is kind of taking the spirit and some of the fun / individualism out of BJJ, but in the end they're usually good schools with a friendly environment and their monthly dues are actually on the lower side from what I've seen.

There were other schools in my area I would have preferred to attend if my schedule had agreed with theirs, but such is life.

Just go try a few places out, assume they'll probably all be between $100 and $150/mo.

Last edited:
Depends on your situation. But, if my CA rates are any indication here is what I've got:

At the end of the day, I ended up paying just a tad over $120/mo. This was cheaper than most places in my area, especially given the schedule of available classes 7 days a week, from AM to PM, and I believe you can visit / attend any GB school you'd like after signup.

- Gi's are like 160/each. if you plan on training more than a couple times a week, you'll probably need two Gi's. But, I believe they'll give you half off if you buy at signup. They did for me. Quality seems pretty weak. My $65 fuji seems considerably better--and this is after their supposed Gi upgrade.
- Rash guards they didn't give me half-off for, and they were like $45 each or something... they also require you wear a rash guard.

Somehow I got a belt in one of my Gi bags when I signed up, so maybe they gave it to me? I thought we were supposed to buy them.

There is a lot of dislike for GB it seems, and I can understand to some degree that their corporate focus is kind of taking the spirit and some of the fun / individualism out of BJJ, but in the end they're usually good schools with a friendly environment and their monthly dues are actually on the lower side from what I've seen.

There were other schools in my area I would have preferred to attend if my schedule had agreed with theirs, but such is life.

Just go try a few places out, assume they'll probably all be between $100 and $150/mo.

Thanks for actually posting the costs. Such a retardedly taboo topic in BJJ, even though 99% of legit schools are similar in price nowadays.

Thanks for actually posting the costs. Such a retardedly taboo topic in BJJ, even though 99% of legit schools are similar in price nowadays.

Yeah, np. And, I don't get it either. :confused:

Just to clarify, after re-reading my post one might possibly read the first sentence (prior to my edit) that it was my gym. I simply meant to say the rates I pay to attend a GB gym in CA.

Depends on your situation. But, if the rates I pay CA to a GB gym are any indication here is what I've got:

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it's out of my price range at the moment but ...

memes-soon.jpg

Monolith is a BJJ/Sambo school in south austin, don't know the exact prices, but it's very inexpensive and has good strength and conditioning. Welcome to Monolith Training | Monolith Training

Met a couple of guys from there at the San Antonio Judo open. Really nice guys, they threw me props for my technique. They even invited me to train with them next time I was in Austin.

Since I'm a "paragoner", I will suggest stopping by Paragon Austin. Have yet to go, but I have heard nothing but good things, they also have a really good Judo program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back