Any decent documentaries about Malls?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I was watching TA and I remember how popular it was for teenagers to be going to malls. Early 2000s was my teen era and I remember the term mall rats. Now I no longer see any teenagers or even groups of people hanging out at malls.

I want to watch docs about malls, the rise, the fall and the history of it all.

Right now watching this:

Chopping-Mall-1986-poster.jpg

Mall culture was definitely one of my favorite parts on the 90's, I'll never forget the distinct smell of those places
I especially loved it around Christmastime when they were packed to the rafters with hot fresh chicks ready to make bad decisions with terrible influences like myself

Last edited:
I was watching TA and I remember how popular it was for teenagers to be going to malls. Early 2000s was my teen era and I remember the term mall rats. Now I no longer see any teenagers or even groups of people hanging out at malls.

Malls were already declined by the early 2000s. Peak mall culture in the U.S. was the 80s and fell in the 90s. This video below is perfect demonstration of the peak. Guys and girls in the video are admitting they are going there just to try and get dates.

edit: skimming through this again it's amazing how much more open people are with picking up strangers back then. its great.

4:30 kids smoking just chilling, chicks standing around admitting they are there to pickup guys
22:18 a bunch of 16 year olds in a band smoking in the mall getting interviewed

Last edited:
Dan Bell is a YouTuber that visits malls across the US that have either closed down or are closing down and gives the history of the place

Oddly enough there are some malls that are still thriving. Woodfield mall in the Chicago burbs is always packed.

Fashion Valley Mall and Westfield mall in La Jolla Village are always busy here in San Diego.

Take me back to the 80's or 90's

2021 Can fuck off.

I used to go to Suncoast at the mall in the late nineties to get Pride VHS tapes.

iu

There is a mall down the street from me that is still busy, or at least was before Covid.

Malls were already declined by the early 2000s. Peak mall culture in the U.S. was the 80s and fell in the 90s. This video below is perfect demonstration of the peak. Guys and girls in the video are admitting they are going there just to try and get dates.

edit: skimming through this again it's amazing how much more open people are with picking up strangers back then. its great.

4:30 kids smoking just chilling, chicks standing around admitting they are there to pickup guys
22:18 a bunch of 16 year olds in a band smoking in the mall getting interviewed

The feathered hair in that video is strong.

Malls were a fun place to hang out when I was growing up in the 80s. During winter the mall was a large infoor place with lots of places to eat, see a movie, and shop around.

For my teen and early 20s nephews, they hate malls. The last place they want to go to and be seen at is a mall. I think high crime levels has played a part in disliking malls, along with being able to see movies on line now.

Back