any attributes (mental or physical) or other non combat related things that help you

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
We all know the benefits of different arts and how they can provide unique techniques and strategies; we also discussed how particular tech or concepts can make you effective in sparring or competition.

What I want to know is what attributes or activities/experiences have helped with the development of your style...your performance in sparring/fights. Or things that have limited your development or performance.

Ex-nick Diaz is very physically durable, able to take large amounts of punishment w/o being affected adversely; also he does iron mans which provide him with alot of stamina and recuperative abilities between rounds.

Ex- Roy Jones Jr..his otherworldly ability inhibited him from having to develop the finer aspects of the game; also his chin made him more liable to getting beat because he couldn't take shots when his ability faded. Unlike Ali who had a chin and could take it even when he lost a step.

Anyone...

Things like size reach power strength durability explosiveness balance ability to pick hints up quickly or things like other sports or activities that have allowed you to translate things into combat sports from a mental or physical perspective.

The ability to think correctly based on information given: when i do my online training with Sinister, most of the time i have to study and think by myself to able to pick up details from his informations or his footage without any immidiate feedback from him. And often, i got it right, to my surprise. This is how i learn the Cuban rear uppercut: by watching Arni do it on his shadowboxing video and think about how to do it right based on what i've seen.

My "instinct": I don't know how to explain it, but when i train by myself, often my body instinctively respond extremely well to the thing i'm trying to learn and even pick it up right away (or accidentally in one or two cases as well). This is sort of related to the first one, but i guess it is more in the unconsciousness level of thinking. Like when i first learn to move around using proper footworks, i have a much easier time learning (i was actually wondering what's the fuss about it) and i don't crossing my feet or move in wrong direction as much as a beginner do.

Hand eye coordination: i guess i myself have a good level of hand eye coordination. I suppose this is stemmed from drawing. There's one point where all i practice while drawing is how to tracing. I did that for a week and at one point i realized my hand-eye coordination and reaction was increased ten-fold by doing just a simple exercise daily. And then i got bored and not doing it for a while, so my reaction and coordination dropped from excellent to only "good"

Aside from that, i don't have any other attributes worth mentioning :redface:

Dedication. Whatever I do, I over do it. I learned the Japanese kana *alphabet* in one day, I semi talk Japanese now after learning only for 3 weeks. I have been training for 3 years in hopes of entering a championship, even tho it might sound easy to eat up, but training for a championship and when the time comes, and you pull out, it really fuckin hurts badly, so i think being able to still push myself to practice is an achievement it self

Someone needs to bring Karatestylist to this thread.

The ability to think correctly based on information given: when i do my online training with Sinister, most of the time i have to study and think by myself to able to pick up details from his informations or his footage without any immidiate feedback from him. And often, i got it right, to my surprise. This is how i learn the Cuban rear uppercut: by watching Arni do it on his shadowboxing video and think about how to do it right based on what i've seen.

My "instinct": I don't know how to explain it, but when i train by myself, often my body instinctively respond extremely well to the thing i'm trying to learn and even pick it up right away (or accidentally in one or two cases as well). This is sort of related to the first one, but i guess it is more in the unconsciousness level of thinking. Like when i first learn to move around using proper footworks, i have a much easier time learning (i was actually wondering what's the fuss about it) and i don't crossing my feet or move in wrong direction as much as a beginner do.

So you pretty much just said you're really naturally talented

So you pretty much just said you're really naturally talented

Not really. If i'm naturally talented, i should be throwing bombs like RJJ in his prime or so. I guess what i am trying to say is that my head had helped me a lot, that's all.

Real enjoyment as a part of your life style. In the long run, an hour a day and sparring once a week beats 4 hours a day for a month followed by six months off. Constant, unbroken periods of training - enjoyment leads to skill.

Being able to criticize yourself is important. People that think they are great right away are usually incapable of developing real skill. You have to see you faults.

no lies my reflexes have been a fair bit better since i started playing a lot of halo 4

I think my good looks have helped to mesmerize my opponents. Like blue steel...they can't believe what they see. It is during this moment of my opponent's bliss that I take advantage and poke their wide eyes out...because as a wise karate instructor Sensei Kreese once told me, "If they can't see they can't fight!"

The ability to stay calm in high stress situations. Though it is a bit of a double edged sword. My calmness leads to me not having that sense of urgency needed at times.

Also reasoning skills help me with learning how certain things work and why.

Staying relaxed. I move faster,and see things coming easier which in turn allows me to see openings. In jiu jitsu, it allows me to feel where I am in relation to my opponent and I get less fatigued.

Periodic body awareness throughout the day. Am I using muscles that I don't need when performing a certain task? If I am, I relax those muscles and use only the ones I need. This could be anything from typing on the keyboard or writing a paper to tightening a bolt with a wrench or taking a piss. Yeah I said it. Next time you go to take a wizz stop and observe where you're tense.You might be surprised.

Alot of guys you see shadowbox fast and without purpose. I shadowbox slow,and pay attention to form,balance,positioning and again, am I tense where I shouldn't be.

I sweat a lot so people can't grips and they slip right off when they try to clinch me. You can't wristlock someone without having their wrist. lol

On a more serious note, visualization is probably my best attribute. To see a technique and spatial deconstruct it quickly allows me to learn it quickly and apply it even quicker.

Blessed with a giant dong , it allows me to put things in perspective and laugh at my opponent's puny attempts to "dominate" me.

You may win in this here ring , Sir Lancelot , but I have my massive beaver-cleaver and all is well with the world.

Blessed with a giant dong , it allows me to put things in perspective and laugh at my opponent's puny attempts to "dominate" me.

You may win in this here ring , Sir Lancelot , but I have my massive beaver-cleaver and all is well with the world.

quagmire-wait-what-o.gif

Knowing that I learn best by doing, less watching or listening.
And being tall with tight legs, I can cheat a quick warm up as I do Bowen technique and release the hamstrings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back