Any Advice for Training Alone?

lil_ric23

White Belt
Reaction score
If anyone can give me some advice on extra workouts to do, I would be appreciative. I have been kickboxing for about 5 months at a dojo and put my membership on hold while I wait to see a doctor for my knee that I injured from jogging.... i think. I still get to the regular gym at least once a week to mainly just try to work on my form, balance, and keep my cardio up. (just can't do any jumping around.) I'll briefly explain the hour long workout I do and hope someone might have somethings i'm overlooking that could be added in. Same routine i'm doing is getting kind of boring. If anybody was wondering why it sounds like this has been going on for a while and i haven't seen a doctor, it's because I had to get myself insurance and wait for it to start. thanks for any help!

Balance drills 10 min

Shadowboxing 15 min

slipping, ducking, pairing 10 min

practing combos with defense 10 min (kind of just shuffling back and forth through gym)

low kick on heavybag 5 min

Heavybag sparring 10 min

Add some medicine ball drills, burpees and get a speed bag. The speed bag is just plain fun, I think.

get a good mirror and shadowbox all you can ;) drill combos, rhytm etc. And get a speedball to ad to the heavybag training.

my 2 cents anyway

Are there any book or videos you guys heavily recommend on starting out?

Thanks.

If you can do the stuff you are doing, why are you not just going to the kickboxing gym? Your instructor can work around your sore leg if its not too injured, and if you can kick, its not too injured.

I understand your knee is bad but where is the cardio in your workout.

To add to what others posted also try standing in front of your bag and jsut throw left and rights for 3 rounds. I mean try to do as many as possible in each round to build muscle memory and cardio.

If you can do the stuff you are doing, why are you not just going to the kickboxing gym? Your instructor can work around your sore leg if its not too injured, and if you can kick, its not too injured.

I really want to go back to training, it's an mma school, usually the kickboxing classes are lot smaller than the mma and jitsu classes. because of this i know i will be paired with someone to do full sparring and just don't want to take the risk. even though i can still train a little, i'm not pushing myself near as hard as the instructors do. hopefully i'll get my insurance card soon, had the insurance for 2 weeks and still no card.......BASTARDS!!!

thanks everyone for the input

because of this i know i will be paired with someone to do full sparring and just don't want to take the risk. even though i can still train a little, i'm not pushing myself near as hard as the instructors do.

Uh, just explain you have an injury? NO PLACE worth training at is going to make you do something you shouldnt (Spar hard while hurt or do taxing drills/excercised injured) so just explain, No they wont think you are a pussy.

Back