Any advice for my first BJJ competition?

vanguard_anon

Clever user title
Reaction score
I'm about to enter my first BJJ competition. I've been rolling for 7 months now so I'm not thing special but I am hoping to do well. They have a "master" category for guys over 30 so I'm hoping 30+ year old white belts will suck. :) Any advice you can think of you be great but I'll ask some questions to get it started.

1) I have to cut about 1.5 lbs. I plan on eating something for dinner that will pass (probably cereal), skipping breakfast, and making weight. What do you think?

2) Takedowns: Fight_song cranked my neck last night and I'm a little concerned about single legs, my normal go-to takedown. Do you have a favorite that doesn't involve controlling somebody with your head?

3) Subs: I've never done a BJJ competition bt I assume that guys wait a little longer before tapping to a choke and crank joint locks a little harder. Does this sound right?

4) Any general advice you want to give me?

Thanks in advance

First advice: be aggresive. That's how they will be. It's very different from rolling in the class.
To get to your questions:
1) It depends on your metabolism.
2) Try ouchi gari. http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/ouchigari.htm Murilo used a lot a small variation of this in Bushido.
3) Some wait, some don't, cause there are competitors who just go for cranking your limb. Tap as soon as you can.
4) Again: be aggresive. And second: have fun. Don't take it to serious.
If those are your kids, congratulations on having two beautiful children. They look like their mother don't they? :)

vanguard_anon said:
I'm about to enter my first BJJ competition. I've been rolling for 7 months now so I'm not thing special but I am hoping to do well. They have a "master" category for guys over 30 so I'm hoping 30+ year old white belts will suck. :) Any advice you can think of you be great but I'll ask some questions to get it started.

1) I have to cut about 1.5 lbs. I plan on eating something for dinner that will pass (probably cereal), skipping breakfast, and making weight. What do you think?

2) Takedowns: Fight_song cranked my neck last night and I'm a little concerned about single legs, my normal go-to takedown. Do you have a favorite that doesn't involve controlling somebody with your head?

3) Subs: I've never done a BJJ competition bt I assume that guys wait a little longer before tapping to a choke and crank joint locks a little harder. Does this sound right?

Thanks in advance

I say go ahead and hit that single. Do you keep your head in the chest or the inner thigh?

My takedowns could use improvement so I don't pretend to be doing it jsut right. But my typical move is to hug the single thigh tight, put an ear/side of head on his belly, and use it to get him spinning and hopping. With that I'll either do some kind of unplanned/unnamed off balance takedown or I'll grab the other leg in mid hop and take him down.

If that doesn't work I try to drive forward or pull guard before he gets north-south. :)

Lose the weight before the comp so you dont have to cut. You need a good breakfast to have tons of energy. Losing 1.5 lbs should be easy. Stop stuffing your face :) Eat just a little bit less each day and you should drop that fairly quickly. Avoid big dinners to drop fat.

Your school is biased towards neck attacks. I wouldnt worry about the guillotine on the single leg from most people. Just practice it a little more. The white belts at the comps had bad takedowns and bad takedown defense. Keep your head high and drive hard and fast.

Yes. They fight to the death. This is 50% mental. Never give up.

You gotta think strategy. READ THE RULES carefully and how they score!!!
Think in terms of points and pace and strategy.
If you get the back, you MUST get both hooks in to get the 4 points!!!
If you pass the guard, PAUSE and demonstrate control to get the 3 points before moving to the next position.

A match may go something like this....
take down +2 points
pass guard +3 points

you are now up 5 points on the guy. Take a break and rest. Do not lose the position. You are in the lead. He must now escape. Since its a comp, they will fight like crazy. This is good. Drive your weight and pin him and let him tire himself out, this is to your advantage.
Then think about mount or going for a sub.

People fight very hard so use this to your advantage and make them waste energy to get tired.

Now get full mount +4, you are now +9 points up and the clock is ticking and several mins have passed by, the guy has very little time left to get 9 points on you.
So he is going to try to upa you to the moon, lay flat and let him go nuts for a while knowing the clock is ticking and he must escape. When he gets tired, move on.

Dont focus on the sub too much and going crazy. #1 win the fight, #2 end by sub.
I only go for the sub if they give it to me. I dont waste energy trying to force a sub. Make him make a mistake but conserve your energy. Remember, you may have another 2-5 fights coming up. Dont blow your wad on the first match.

Keep the clock in mind and use it to your advantage. If you are ahead on points, TAKE YOUR TIME and let the clock run. Im not saying you should stall, stay active, but go slow and do not give up the position. The guy who is behind on points must force it and do something, but you dont have to. So he must expend tons of energy trying to change who is in the lead. Its easy to maintain your lead than to be behind and have to make it up.

GET THAT FIRST TAKEDOWN AT ALL COSTS!!!!!! +2 point lead from the start is huge.
Caveat: if your passing game sux and your guard game is great, then just pull guard.

NOTE: If someone is working a single leg on you, and you jump to guard, this is +2 points for your opponent! Only pull guard when he is not doing a takedown. Again, read the rules carefully. Pay attention to stuff like, no grips inside sleaves, cant grab a belt with both hands, etc. Learn what "advantages" are.

Thats all for now.

Great advice from rearguard! i remeber my first BJJ competition, was so fired up, and excited i forgot all about the points. Then again, they hadn't spent anytime in the school educating us about that. I lost my first to a submission and afterwards the ref came up and said wtf? you were ahead by 7 or 8 points. I had lost my good position by continously trying for a submission. If i had had the above advice, i would have known where i was point wise and just kept riding the guy the last 20 seconds. I slapped my forehead and said D-oh! Live and Learn!

>>1) I have to cut about 1.5 lbs. I plan on eating something for dinner that will pass (probably cereal), skipping breakfast, and making weight. What do you think?

as you sleep, you "float" weight as we say. you lose water weight in your breath and you can lose a pound or two from this. if you can check weight on an accurate scale right after you wake up and piss, then see what you're at. if you're .3 or so then you should be able to put some sweats on move a little and float the rest in under an hour. the night before just eat light and drink LITTLE. tons of water will up your weight and it's not helping you float.

>>2) Takedowns: Fight_song cranked my neck last night and I'm a little concerned about single legs, my normal go-to takedown. Do you have a favorite that doesn't involve controlling somebody with your head?

sorry about that. thought you were okay. i try to stack people who pull guard so theyre uncomfortable and tired so its easier to pass. if you have time, a hot bath will work wonders. massage and stretch your neck as you can but even so, a decent strain needs 24 hrs + to completely go away. it shouldnt be a big trouble if you can bear it.

i like head locks if you can get them. on a gi it's a little different. im facing you. i want my right arm under your left armpit. i want my left arm over your right shoulder. lock if you can and clamp tight or grab gi and clamp tight. punch your left hand to the mat and get your left hip across and sit on the side into a scarf hold-kinda. control his left elbow with your right arm and your position is safe if you base well to avoid rolling. if you're not sure when you practice this a little then dont bother. if you like it, warm up with it and enjoy.

>>3) Subs: I've never done a BJJ competition bt I assume that guys wait a little longer before tapping to a choke and crank joint locks a little harder. Does this sound right?

when you're got, you're got so you tap. if your neck is sore now, you'll be in pain tomorrow if you're trying to wrench out of chokes because it's a comp. also, assume people will go 100% on a sub if they think they have it. they dont want to hurt you but they damn sure want to win if they've drivin X long to get to you. keep that in mind and protect yourself.

>>4) Any general advice you want to give me?
good luck and kick ass!

"I only go for the sub if they give it to me. I dont waste energy trying to force a sub." - rearguard

damn good point.

The way people talk about white belt comps, it makes me wonder how anyone other than wrestlers ever win them. I would think guys with a wrestling background have a huge advantage in wracking up points at that level.

I had my first one a couple of months backed and started the same thread. I got the usual, stay relaxed, etc. kind of advice. It's beneficial. But my advice is to let your opponent make the mistake. I knew my strengths and weaknesses, so I was going to fight like hell to get side guard and throw some transitions that I was really good at. I got side guard but he fought so hard I had to sit out and never went for the string of moves. I learned a lot that first one. I went 2 and 2 and feel like I got better after every match, win or lose.
But, basically, stay calm in the match and let him make the mistake. Oh, and listen to your corner.

Good luck and let us know how it go!

vanguard_anon said:
They have a "master" category for guys over 30 so I'm hoping 30+ year old white belts will suck. :)

I was going to compete master division (over 30) in my first Judo tournament as a white belt. The master division was so small that they threw everyone in there together. So it was going to be me, 2 black belts about my age but way bigger, and a 65 year old guy. I ended up going in the novice division against the young guys, becuase it was a full division of guys my weight and rank.

So check it out before jumping right in the "Master" category. You may have more fun and fair better against the youngsters.

tudor_bjj said:
If those are your kids, congratulations on having two beautiful children. They look like their mother don't they? :)

Actually they kind of look like the mail man...

^^ doubt it. they call him woody for a reason!

not that i know first hand or anything.. well, someone calls him woody.

dont be that nervous or u wont get good nite sleep and a good nite sleep is one of the most important things

eat atleast 2 or 3 hours before your fight NOT A THIRTY MINUTES BEFORE OR FIVE HOURS BEFORE!!!!!!!

use ur mind when u do it its not about being tough its about being smart u could be kicking this guy's ass and say wow im winning and out of nowhere u lose the match ... use ur mind the whole time even when u and him are dog dead tired

dont be trying hard not to lose try to win

Is thos the Bud Cup? I'll be there also, sporting a home made sherdog t-shirt. See ya there!

Demogoblin said:
eat atleast 2 or 3 hours before your fight NOT A THIRTY MINUTES BEFORE
if you eat something like fruit or a cliffbar it will digest in under 30 mins and you'll be fine. everyone grabs something light 30min before mat time.

I had my first tournament after about three weeks of training (got submitted by armbar, BTW). Seven months should put you in a good position to represent well ...

If my experience was any indication, you can't be too aggressive with the takedowns. People can say what they will but takedowns are under-emphasized with most bjj schools, and you might be surprised at what you can get--especially against other white belts.

At the same time, remember that bjj is a lot about taking advantage of the guy's mistakes. So try not to make too many obvious ones of your own. Know what you tend to get caught in when sparring with the guys at your gym/club/academy and try not to let it happen in the tournament.

Most of all, have fun. My fight lasted only about a minute and a half--and I lost by submission. But I'm glad I competed as soon as I did because it helped focus everything else I've done in classes ever since.

Best of luck. Vanguard_anon by armbar!

Back