• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anthony Smith on McGregor Criticisms: "He Sold His Soul for Money. ".

Do you agree with Smith?

• Total voters
He's right about some things. I think it's quite clear that McGregor is deeply unhappy, the cheating, the attacking people, the embarrassing Twitter rants, maybe it is that he misses being part of the fight game.

I am sure Anthony would never accept a 100 Mil payday to Box..

Sad. I can believe that.

I've been playing beer league hockey since I was of age, and I've learned it's not the exercise, the time away from wives, the beer or the sport... It's the camaraderie that keeps guys coming back.

I've been to more weddings/parties/ect. for teammates than for family members.

McGregor was there for the money from the beginning. "Get in, get rich, get out". Nothing wrong with that. He made a ton of money, taking a relatively small amount of damage, but he messed up the "get out" part. After the Floyd money, he should have realized it was over. I believe he's not too happy about himself deep down, but at least he's not broke. "Selling your soul" would be something like Fedor signing with UFC or something similar.

I believe that Conor has too much money to be an effective fighter any more. His personality doesn't seem to mix well with so much wealth.

I think it's more that he lost his soul when he got the fame and money. Drugs, partying, cheating on the mother of his children, the huge ego - it all came because of his fame and money.

As opposed to Jon "sexual chocolate" Jones who I suspect was kind of always like that

I'm not a Conor fanboy by any means, but he's a prizefighter... what else would he want to fight for? Kind of asinine statement to make, all these guys want to make that kind of money for a multitude of reasons.

Meh. Conor definitely has demons that money can’t solve, but he’s "one of them" every time he makes that walk. Love or hate Conor, he always comes ready to kill or get killed.

To be fair to McGregor, he earned his opportunities, and built up generational wealth.

Something that no other fighter has been capable of doing.

Jones could have done it, but his habits won't make it last.

No, Jones doesn't have Conor's charisma or ability to self-promote. I hate the fact that I just complimented Conor...

GUEST_e4a1b79c-26a0-4884-bd55-bc4e11fb6f47

Disagree with Smith and lol at "He will never be one of us!"

Lol yes that's right he will never be a U-Fight-Cheap fighter!

Why would anyone in their right mind want to be a generic UFC fighter who is easily forgotten and shit on left an right?

I rather be unknown then a mid-tier UFC fighter who is looked on as a minimum wage low standard athlete who is foolishly going to end up with CTE and a broke bank account. Anthony fails to realize that this is NOT the 2000s. People are not in to aggression like before. This is the money and lifestyle era + unlike the 2000s, we know the effects of CTE and its no longer all fun and games like it was in the beginning since we are seeing the Lebens of the world not doing to well in life.
Conor?

No, Jones doesn't have Conor's charisma or ability to self-promote. I hate the fact that I just complimented Conor...
Which is unfortunate (or just straight up unfortunate timing for Jones) since even Mike Tyson wasn't the cleanest person outside the ring during his career but his mere presence (his actions outside the ring possibly contributing towards his mystique) did most of the work when it came to self-promotion

I’m not a fan of Conor and his antics, but I’ll give credit where credit is due, and recognize the fact that he knew how to market himself. Props to him for getting there.

Smith should've taken that DQ victory. No casuals even remember him taking the warrior route.

Also lol at McGregor envying the struggling roster. Drivel.

Last edited:
The problem with Conor is that he takes the tiniest bit of slight as a big sign of disrespect. He’s too emotional. It’s got nothing to do with what Smith is saying.

Back