Anthony Pettis' vs Nate Diaz title run

GoshiShun17

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
It seems that in this upcoming match on Saturday, the majority of people are picking Nate Diaz to overwhelm Pettis with his pressure style.

But many years back when they were both making their runs to challenge Benson for the belt at 155, most people would say that Diaz would be easy work for Pettis. Especially after Diaz was extremely underwhelmed against Benson, while Pettis went on to best him for a second time in emphatic fashion.

I just want to know if you feel that in hindsight that Diaz would have always been a bad matchup for Pettis, or is it only because most people feel that Pettis has lost the spark that he once had???

Obviously nothing is certain until Saturday, but I'm just interested in your opinions

Why has he lost a spark? He just knocked out Wonderboy in spectacular fashion, whose chin actually held up pretty good so far (e.g. the first woodley fight)

I think Pettis wins a UD, to be honest.

If it's close, friendly/rigged will be in effect where the judges give it to Diaz to make a trilogy fight with McGregoon more intriguing.

Why has he lost a spark?

Only won 4 in his last 10 and still has problems dealing with pressure and wrestling. A Wonderboy KO doesn't erase that.

Still got Pettis winning this weekend. Pettis will be able to deal with the reach and forward pressure of Diaz with leg kicks effectively.

Its hard to call

Both do things that the other has a problem with
Pettis has good kicks which have been tough for Nate to overcome
Nate has good pace and pressure which has been tough for Pettis to overcome

It's an interesting match-up. I wish it was five rounds.

<{1-8}>

I think Nate would have always been a tough match for Pettis. Anthony likes to fight in spots, Nate takes the fight to you and forced you to expend a lot of energy. And we've seen Pettis crack under pressure several times.

If the Diaz that fought Michael Johnson and Conor shows up, then it will be a toss up and imho a very enjoyable fight indeed. I thought diaz looked in best shape ever against Michael Johnson and Conor 2nd fight. If nate diaz shows up any less prepared than he was for those fights though, Anthony Pettis gonna eat him up.

Gotta remember that Anthony Pettis is not the same fighter he was when he was champ, had a lot of losses since then but Nate Diaz always seemed to be a good style matchup for Pettis. The key for Pettis will be leg kicks, if he tries to box with Diaz, hes gonna be outstruck the whole fight... Prediction is Pettis win, its still a good style matchup, diaz is not ko-ing anybody, and pettis coming off some great momentum with the upset ko over wonderboy whereas Diaz will be coming back from a 3 year layoff

I feel like Diaz is being severely overrated here due to the competitiveness of the Conor fights and inactivity.

If you fall into the Diaz bros. trap of antagonizing you into a fist fight in a phone booth, you're gonna have a bad time. Whereas if you can stick to a game plan and don't mind being called a "lil' bitch" or a "Pussy" throughout the fight, you should be able to get the W, along with some choice words from whichever Diaz lost to you at the time.

Even with his recent struggles, i think Pettis should get the win here, he just has much better movement. I wouldn't bet on it though.

Why has he lost a spark? He just knocked out Wonderboy in spectacular fashion, whose chin actually held up pretty good so far (e.g. the first woodley fight)
He looked alot more of his old self in the Chiesa fight and even the Tony fight I'm leaning Pettis on this one. But we will see

Yeah, I believe so but I'm not sure if I'd go with "bad matchup" or, instead of that, "fitting matchup".
Now..."Will Diaz be rusty?" Nobody can answer that. Personally I think he won't be.

Back