Anthony Pettis spider guard

206warrior

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I think Anthony Pettis has a terrific spider guard suited for MMA. He has those long legs, good control, and a rule aggressive barrage of submission attempts. He has caught multiple people with triangle chokes, and seems to have the ideal spider guard for MMA. What do you guys think?

I don't have anything really to contribute to the topic at hand directly, however here is a GIF of him triangling an opponent:

25an7v7.jpg

wouldn't it be somewhere between highly unlikely and goddamn impossible to play spider guard without a gi and with gloves? that seems like a recipe for grammas special pain cake

I don't have anything really to contribute to the topic at hand directly, however here is a GIF of him triangling an opponent:

25an7v7.jpg

who doesnt appreciate a good ole donkey kong finish?

i don't see how spider guard is possible in mma without gi.. lol

He was using wrist control instead of sleeve grips, and then when Roller pulled his arm out he up kicked him in the face, it was pretty sweet.

and of course all the nogi only people are like "you can't use spider guard without a gi" yet here it is in this fight and i think braulio used it in adcc

Great finish from Pettis last night. He's got a very dangerous guard. Not impressed with his top game, but dangerous guard.

And of course he has some sick moves on the feet.

I don't know. I thought Pettis was semi-dangerous off his back, but I also think he relied on explosiveness to get out of a lot of situations.

I'm not saying that is bad, but I didn't see a nice, tight well-rounded guard. I saw a loose, wild, explosive guard.

With his style, he's rolling the dice. He'll catch people, but he will also get his guard passed from time to time.

He did explode at the right moments, but I still think he's vulnerable.

I don't know. I thought Pettis was semi-dangerous off his back, but I also think he relied on explosiveness to get out of a lot of situations.

I'm not saying that is bad, but I didn't see a nice, tight well-rounded guard. I saw a loose, wild, explosive guard.

With his style, he's rolling the dice. He'll catch people, but he will also get his guard passed from time to time.

shane is a really good wrestler and pettis got up pretty easily and he had a sweet sweep

the open guard is a very legitimate style, and quite frankly, way more exiting then the break you down closed guard style.

I agree... hell I play open guard exclusively, in sport BJJ.

I don't fight MMA so perhaps I'm not qualified to answer. I'll give my thoughts anyway. Based on the last fight, I thought Pettis was exciting and explosive. I just question some of the reckless abandon.

But hey, it worked for him. Do you train with him? What belt is he?

I agree... hell I play open guard exclusively, in sport BJJ.

I don't fight MMA so perhaps I'm not qualified to answer. I'll give my thoughts anyway. Based on the last fight, I thought Pettis was exciting and explosive. I just question some of the reckless abandon.

But hey, it worked for him. Do you train with him? What belt is he?

last i saw him at gi, he was a whitebelt, because he just started gii for the roller fight, but the coach even said someone like anthony would excel through the ranks alot faster because he's tapped bb's in no gi.

He was doing no gi like 3 yrs before that i believe.

Back